U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 PM

67 posts, read 158,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I was curious about how many acres of park there are in my city and stumbled across this website:

ParkScore

The only issue I have with it is that is the 40 largest cities by population, so it includes huge suburbs like Mesa and sunbelt cities with relatively small metro populations while leaving off the anchor cities of bigger metro areas with small city limits like Cleveland, St. Louis, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh.
Dude, your name is awesome, it rolls off the tongue with ease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Even though it's a smaller city, I think Savannah deserves to be on the list. The squares there are just so graceful and beautiful (pictures taken during the holidays):

Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM

130 posts, read 177,193 times
Top 10 cities for parks based on scores they got: http://www.mortgagechiliblog.com/cit...ngs-parkscore/

San Francisco, California (74.0)
Sacramento, California (73.5)
Boston, Massachusetts (72.5)
New York, New York (72.5)
Washington, D.C. (71.5)
Portland, Oregon (69.0)
Virginia Beach, Virginia (68.5)
San Diego, California (67.5)
Seattle, Washington (66.5)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (66.0)

Sacramento is such an underrated city, but not surprising considering it's got to compete w L.A., San Diego, the entire bay area, wine country, the emerald triangle, etc.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:23 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Even though it's a smaller city, I think Savannah deserves to be on the list. The squares there are just so graceful and beautiful (pictures taken during the holidays):
I can see why General Sherman wouldn't burn it down due to it's beauty. Tybee Island isn't far.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,766,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
The way Rittenhouse Square Park was talked up I thought it would be a large park. Wow its small only one and a half blocks wide and two blocks long. Seattle Center is over 50 square blocks of park and plaza The International Fountain area alone is larger than Rittenhouse Square. But as an urban park I woulg go with Chicago and NewYork they have far much larger urban parks than anyone else.
Rittenhouse Square is a perfect square in shape and it is three blocks wide and three blocks long from Walnut to St. James to Latimer to Locust Streets. It was laid out in 1683 and gets it's cachet from the beautiful marble balustrades, classical urns, fountains and statuary. It is in the middle of Center City's most elegant and upscale neighborhood.

This is one of only of scores of other urban squares in Philadelphia, including Washington Square, Franklin Square, Fitler Square, Logan Circle, Eakins Oval, Headhouse Square, Independence Mall, etc. This is not including the much larger parks like Fairmount Park (9000 acres) - which I would argue is much bigger than New York's Central Park (800 acres) but also more beautiful with a much more varied terrain. Of course we have lots of other parks like Cobbs Creek Park, Pennypack Park (which has the oldest bridge in continuous use in the US crosses over - commissioned by William Penn), and ... ummmm ... Clark Park (which boasts the only statue to author Charles Dickens in the world.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 PM

189 posts, read 293,166 times
St. Louis doesn't seem to show up on the indexes but we probably deserve a mention because we have the largest city park in the US, Forest Park.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Park_(St._Louis)

Sledding on Art Hill (in front of art museum)

(see other pics below)

World's Fair Pavillion

Muny Theater, nation's oldest and largest outdoor musical theater

Jewel Box

St Louis Zoo

St. Louis

Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,035,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Rittenhouse Square is a perfect square in shape and it is three blocks wide and three blocks long from Walnut to St. James to Latimer to Locust Streets. It was laid out in 1683 and gets it's cachet from the beautiful marble balustrades, classical urns, fountains and statuary. It is in the middle of Center City's most elegant and upscale neighborhood.
Looking at a map would seem to dispel your argument. I see only one block wide, and three long. Yes, it's a square, but the blocks are not of equal distance. Even so, you can't call it three by three.

But it is a very pretty park.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,916,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Do you have reasons for those picks or are you just guessing?

I see city parks and squares as two separate discussions. They serve different purposes IMO.
Well, I've been to Austin, SD, Seattle, and Minneapolis, and I can't think of anything in Austin that bests the other cities mentioned. There are parks and they are nice, but the other cities have amazing parks, IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City