Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
The way Rittenhouse Square Park was talked up I thought it would be a large park. Wow its small only one and a half blocks wide and two blocks long. Seattle Center is over 50 square blocks of park and plaza The International Fountain area alone is larger than Rittenhouse Square. But as an urban park I woulg go with Chicago and NewYork they have far much larger urban parks than anyone else.
All are nice parks. People's preferences vary. In some instances I guess it all depends on if one is a size queen or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
The way Rittenhouse Square Park was talked up I thought it would be a large park. Wow its small only one and a half blocks wide and two blocks long. Seattle Center is over 50 square blocks of park and plaza The International Fountain area alone is larger than Rittenhouse Square. But as an urban park I woulg go with Chicago and NewYork they have far much larger urban parks than anyone else.
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of actual parkland at Seattle Center, it's mostly just buildings.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of actual parkland at Seattle Center, it's mostly just buildings.
It sort of just reminds me of a big fairgrounds, though they got rid of the cheesy amusement park. But if you go there at Bumbershoot or Folk Life it just seems like a big fair--I wouldn't really consider it much of a park. There's an area around the big fountain that's sort of park-like though...

Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
San Diego does have one the highest %'s of land as well as total acreage as parkland.

Balboa Park is a pretty damn good park, it' huge, has a golf course, the SD Zoo, then a bunch of cultural attractions like museums and performing arts centers. I counted 17 museums, 9 Performing Arts places, Gardens, etc..

Balboa Park | A landscape of Arts and Culture

Mission Bay Park is huge too and is great for water sports like boating, jet skiing, kayaking, paddle boarding, etc..

Also the natural canyon parks like Rose Canyon and Tecolote Canyon are great.

Mission Trails park is pretty good and you can hike up to a peak with a pretty good view of SD.

Even though it's a state park, Torrey Pines State Park and Beach is awesome. Great views of the ocean, cliffs, and the beach is really nice too.

BALBOA PARK:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/sav858/balboa-park-san-diego-casdbal1.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/sav858/balboapark.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/sav858/IMG_6320.jpg.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/sav858/2142383981_1bc2336496.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-15-2013 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It sort of just reminds me of a big fairgrounds, though they got rid of the cheesy amusement park. But if you go there at Bumbershoot or Folk Life it just seems like a big fair--I wouldn't really consider it much of a park. There's an area around the big fountain that's sort of park-like though...
Why because of all the museums or because of all the theaters, maybe the opera house not getting that comment theres no barns no rides expansive green park land the area around the fountain host festivals over 500,000 the fountain itself has hundreds of kids playing it on hot days .

Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Rittenhouse is a great space, small but basically a little bit for everyone and nearly always active day to night

Rittenhouse Square Park - Great Public Spaces | Project for Public Spaces (PPS)

But really its a little bit for everyone

fiddlin' around rittenhouse square - YouTube

Jazz Band on Rittenhouse Square - YouTube

Kurt Vile & The Violators - "Hunchback" Rittenhouse Square - YouTube

But dont forget Fairmont Park either

Fairmount Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philly has some great and not so great parks

Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,049,618 times
Balboa in San Diego
City Park in New Orleans

Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
I am the OP, here is my top 10 I guess

1) NY
2) Chicago
3/4/5) SF/Boston/Philly
6) DC

I guess there is too many bunched up that I don't know enough about

LA, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Diego can fight for the last slots

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I am the OP, here is my top 10 I guess

1) NY
2) Chicago
3/4/5) SF/Boston/Philly
6) DC

I guess there is too many bunched up that I don't know enough about

LA, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Diego can fight for the last slots
Do you have reasons for those picks or are you just guessing?

I see city parks and squares as two separate discussions. They serve different purposes IMO.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 PM

34 posts, read 59,661 times
1. Phoenix - South Mountain Park, Dreamy Draw, North Mountain Park, Camelback Mountain, Mcdowell Mountain Park, Thunderbird Park, Lake Pleasent Recreation Area, White Tank Mountains Park, West Wing Mountain Park, Sierra Estrella Park, Rio Vista Community Park, Hance Park, Civic Space, Copper Square, Sonoran Desert National Monument, among many others
2. San Francisco -Union Square, Alamo Square, etc
3. Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City