U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 PM

884 posts, read 711,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
Don't take my comments personally steve. Very interesting discussion.
Sure beats talking about Britney Spears....LOL!
Amen to that.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
He's talking about the BosWash megapolis, and the Bay Area might rival Boston, DC, Baltimore and Philly on an one on one basis, but if your talking about region, I don't know how you can compare. Even without NYC.
If your talking about the region, without the NYC Metro Area, the tables turn in the west coast's favor.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Oh yes, now we're nomads, hold on a sec while I park my camel.

These barren desert states you bring up actually have the fastest growing economies in the nation.

Somene should tell them that since they dont control the flow of money, its wrong for them to be booming economically.

Nice try.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM

694 posts, read 1,983,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If your talking about the region, without the NYC Metro Area, the tables turn in the west coast's favor.
You could argue either way I guess. Without NYC, BosWash would still have around a population of 26 million, and numerous economic, political, and cultural entities.

What's the point of stating that though? That's like saying, without the Bay area or LA, the West Coast would be far behind the East Coast.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Twice the size of San Antonio are you on something? San Antonio is over 2 miilion people and nearly 1.4 million in the city proper.It is growing super fast, while the cities you mentioned are not.San Antonio is projected to have 3 miilion people by 2020.Thats a high growth scenario but the way this city is growing I wouldn't doubt it.
The metro area may have three million, but not the city limits of SA itself. Still, SA is really just a regional city for South Texas.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
I think that the location of Houston inhibits that great leap to world-class status. Out of the way, mega-humid weather, unsightly refineries, all that will not make it a mecca it needs to be to be a true first-tier city....I think it qualifies now as 1st just by the huge energy loci there. In todays world, if you control energy, you are top of the heap. Houstons' energy companies invest all over russia, the saudi peninsula, and asia in general. They are now getting into shale and green energies as well. They are top tier to the nth degree. As far as the city itself being "world class", they have work to do. Being so kind as to absorb Katrina folks knocked it for a loop as well. Time will tell if Houston takes that leap, but economically it is top tier.
I'm sorry, but that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Houston's WEATHER inhibits it from leaping to the world-class status? Please...

Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,038,076 times
What about Hong Kong? Really humid there! And what about London? REALLY cold in there!! Weather doesn't make a city not world class, Stange comment

Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM

395 posts, read 1,190,972 times
Another take (Based Solely on spread of MSA 2006):

Tier 1 - 5.5 Million +
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Dallas
Philly
Houston

Tier 2 - 2.5 Million - 5.5 Million
Miami
Washington DC
Atlanta
Detroit
Boston
San Francisco
Phoenix
Seattle
Minneapolis
San Diego
St. Louis
Tampa
Baltimore

Tier 3 - 1.5 Million - 2.5 Million
Denver
Portland
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincy
Sacramento
Orlando
Kansas City
San Antonio
San Jose
Las Vegas
Columbus
Indianapolis
Norfolk
Charlotte
Austin
Milwaukee

Tier 4: .5 million -1.5 million
Nashville
Jacksonville
Memphis
Louisville
New Orleans
Buffalo
Honolulu
OKC
Birmingham
Raleigh
Tucson
Salt Lake City
Omaha
Tulsa
Albany
ETC.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
You could argue either way I guess. Without NYC, BosWash would still have around a population of 26 million, and numerous economic, political, and cultural entities.

What's the point of stating that though? That's like saying, without the Bay area or LA, the West Coast would be far behind the East Coast.
My comment is in response to the statement that there is nothing in the West Coast like BosWash. that statement is misleading because the truth is there is nothing anywhere in the US like the NY Metro. All the other places even combined arent so scary.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Another take (Based Solely on spread of MSA 2006):

Tier 1 - 5.5 Million +
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Dallas
Philly
Houston

Tier 2 - 2.5 Million - 5.5 Million
Miami
Washington DC
Atlanta
Detroit
Boston
San Francisco
Phoenix
Seattle
Minneapolis
San Diego
St. Louis
Tampa
Baltimore

Tier 3 - 1.5 Million - 2.5 Million
Denver
Portland
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincy
Sacramento
Orlando
Kansas City
San Antonio
San Jose
Las Vegas
Columbus
Indianapolis
Norfolk
Charlotte
Austin
Milwaukee

Tier 4: .5 million -1.5 million
Nashville
Jacksonville
Memphis
Louisville
New Orleans
Buffalo
Honolulu
OKC
Birmingham
Raleigh
Tucson
Salt Lake City
Omaha
Tulsa
Albany
ETC.
What this does, is it exposes the inadequecies of places with large populations when they are surpassed by often times, much smaller places in terms of economic largesse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City