U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 AM

646 posts, read 565,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Excellent points.
Mastercard is a good source or perspective but I'd think they are basing a lot on receipt activity, they are growing and are an excellent stock to own right now, it's really appreciating in spite of the downturn in the mkts and they are really expanding.

I found the study interesting, but prefer at least the GwAC over it, and some others bc it's more accurate and fairer, gives more perspective on changes, and is more refined. The list within a group is alphabetized so SF is not necessarily 5th.

They also stated at the end of the list cities are more important today than ever before, that would well be true domestically as well.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 AM

2,548 posts, read 5,132,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
LOL..........are you serrious or just having a blond moment. You might want to read more. Then you would know the Seattle area is responsible for or attached to..........

Microsoft
Nordstrom
Boeing
Safco Corporation
Expeditors International
Costco
Weyerhaeuser
PACCAR
Washington Mutual
Starbucks
Amazon.com
Expedia
Nintendo
Google
RealNetworks
AT&T
T-mobile USA

Biomedical - Philips, Boston Scientific, ZymoGenetics, Amgen

TV and Film - Frasier, Grey's Anatomy, Sleepless in Seattle

Music - Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Kenny G, Sir Mix-a-Lot, Aiden, Presidents of the United States of America, Quincy Jones, etc. the list goes on.

The Space Needle
The Pike Place Market
UPS
Red Robin
Alaska Airlines
Horizon Air
Tully's
Seattle's Best Coffee
Group Health
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Seattle created the - Medic One system

Richest man on planet earth.........I mean really are you kidding me. I could go on forever about the importance of Seattle, the most literate city in the US.

City data -wow...........what is going on. People can just post anything.

San Antonio isn't even the most important city in its own state, let alone trying to put it over Seattle, San Francisco, or Dallas.

Seattle's metro is twice the size of San Antonio's.

Incase you've been under a rock. Here is Seattle.

SEATTLE

Yes Seattle-Tacome-everett CSa is bigger than San Antonio metro but not twice.Then it would be San Antonio-Austin-San Marcos-New braunfels comprable in land area to Seattle region.The San Antonio-Austin Region has nearly 4 million people.

AT&T is based out of San Antonio,so is the largest oil and gas company,Valero Energy.USAA another F500, HQ in the largest office building in the world is based out of S.A.Then their is Clear Channel Worldwide, the largest advertising co in America.2 other big F500 oil companies are based out of S.A.Then Austin has Dell and all it's Tech companies.So San Antonio-Austin region is a dynamic area.May not be as strong as Seattle region but it's up there.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:59 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,495,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Yes Seattle-Tacome-everett CSa is bigger than San Antonio metro but not twice.Then it would be San Antonio-Austin-San Marcos-New braunfels comprable in land area to Seattle region.The San Antonio-Austin Region has nearly 4 million people.

AT&T is based out of San Antonio,so is the largest oil and gas company,Valero Energy.USAA another F500, HQ in the largest office building in the world is based out of S.A.Then their is Clear Channel Worldwide, the largest advertising co in America.2 other big F500 oil companies are based out of S.A.Then Austin has Dell and all it's Tech companies.So San Antonio-Austin region is a dynamic area.May not be as strong as Seattle region but it's up there.
Seattle is way more of a major city than San Antonio. It anchors the Pacific Northwest and as Monumental has shown, it hosts its fair share of prominent companies and then some--not to mention the arts and music that have come from Seattle.

I've heard great things about San Antonio and I'm sure it has a lot going for it. But in no way is it on the same level as Seattle.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,199,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
LOL..........Are you serious are are you having a Blonde moment?

San Antonio isn't even the most important city in its own state, let alone trying to put it over Seattle, San Francisco, or Dallas.

Seattle's metro is twice the size of San Antonio's.

Incase you've been under a rock. Here is Seattle.

City data...wow.. People can just post anything here.

Rookie, are you trying to get another thread locked?

Your continued insecurity and bashing of other cities is astonishedly childlike.

Great cities stand on their own.Grow up.

Seattle's likability factor in my view has dropped significantly since you have showed up on this board.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM

1,992 posts, read 5,923,543 times
San Antonio to Seattle is a laughably absurd comparison. No sane person would put San Antonio in the same league as Seattle. I am sure Orlando gets more visitors per year than Boston, does that mean Orlando is more significant than Boston? I know some people put their hometowns on a pedastal but this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by toughguy; 11-09-2007 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Rookie, are you trying to get another thread locked?

Your continued insecurity and bashing of other cities is astonishedly childlike.

Great cities stand on their own.Grow up.

Seattle's likability factor in my view has dropped significantly since you have showed up on this board.
While you have shown yourself to be somewhat of a Seattle-hater based on the skyline discussion, I agree. Monumental1, I think you are doing more harm than good. I applaud your civic pride but you are being overzealous and dismissive of other places that don't deserve disrespect.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Just an urban area comparison.Yes Seattles skyline is superiors to San Antonio's and it has more F-500 but as far as population in its core and major suburbs,Seattle isn't twice the size like you claim,.

King County 1,788,000 2,200 square miles.
Bexar County nearly 1,600,000 1,200 S.A= 400 sq miles nearly 1.4 million.

[
KING COUNTY MAP 2,200 sq miles
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RtsjpT...y_map_0002.gif[/img]

Bexar County 1,200 sq miles.
[img]http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/region8/mapimages/bexar.jpg[/img]

Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Just an urban area comparison.Yes Seattles skyline is superiors to San Antonio's and it has more F-500 but as far as population in its core and major suburbs,Seattle isn't twice the size like you claim,.

King County 1,788,000 2,200 square miles.
Bexar County nearly 1,600,000 1,200 S.A= 400 sq miles nearly 1.4 million.

[
KING COUNTY MAP 2,200 sq miles
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RtsjpT...y_map_0002.gif[/img]

Bexar County 1,200 sq miles.
[img]http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/region8/mapimages/bexar.jpg[/img]
But it is not just the skyline and population that places Seattle on a higher plane...The cultural contributions, the fact that it is a major port and a gateway to the rising eastern powerhouses, the infrastructure, media exposure, etc etc etc....I am not trying to hate on San Antonio, I am sure its a nice place with a robust economy, but cmon just have a little perspective.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
But it is not just the skyline and population that places Seattle on a higher plane...The cultural contributions, the fact that it is a major port and a gateway to the rising eastern powerhouses, the infrastructure, media exposure, etc etc etc....I am not trying to hate on San Antonio, I am sure its a nice place with a robust economy, but cmon just have a little perspective.

Oh I know Seattle is a powerhouse end of story.The thing is San Antonio is very underrated.San Antonio does attract more visitors per year than Seattle.

San Antonio gets it's share amount of media attention with it's Final Fours,Alamo Bowls,Army Bowls,world championships etc.I'm not saying more than Seattle.But San Antonio does keep itself busy.San Antonio is way south, if it were located in the east or west coast it would probably get more attention.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM

676 posts, read 2,495,562 times
On the global scale though Seattle is a bit better known than San Antonio. However as making a comparison out of the two I'm afraid that they just don't match up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City