U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,130,495 times

Advertisements

Again that is a GPD that covers a CSA and not just an MSA like in San Antonio's case.Im sure that CSA counts Everett's economic generators as well.It covers a much larger area.That is not a good comparsion it would be like including Austin- San Marcos in with San Antonio's GDP.If that were the case San Antoio-Austin would be close to 120 billion.Still less but not dwarfed.San Marcos,Texas only a few miles closer to Austin than too San Antonio,but apart of Austin metro.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:57 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,921,931 times
I don't understand what you mean....Everett is not a discrete metro area from Seattle-Bellevue-Tacoma Like Austin is to SA.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,130,495 times
I'm just saying Seattle counts an area including Everett to the north and TAcoma to the South an area that is 70 miles long.That would be like San Antonio including Austin-San Marcos.Just in a geographic area standpoint.
This region is designated the San Antonio-Austin Corridor.A commuter rail is on the horizon.So there is unity between both cities.In the media both cities are labeled together in many cases.The deal is Austin is to big to ever be considered a suburb or component for example and vice versa,the way Tacoma and Everett are suburbs/components of Seattle.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-09-2007 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,093,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Bro, why can't you just admit that San Antonio is small potatoes compared to Seattle? Everyone here seems to be in agreement but you and sweethomesanantonio. I realize you may have been ignorant about Seattle before this conversation, but isn't it as clear as day now that SA in the minor leagues while Seattle is playing in the bigs? Why is this conversation still continuing? I know you probably don't hear much about us down in southern Texas, but realize there is alot more to the US than the republic of Texas.
Once again i never said SA was on Seattle's level. Read my post for f***in sakes. I simply don't know what the hype about Seattle is. Wow the space needle. (which is shorter than SA's tower ) Wow star bucks abound. But Seattle is no where near LA or NYC yet many on this board think so.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,447,316 times
^^No one on this board thinks Seattle is on LA, NYC level. Just on a higher level than San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio downtown to Austin downtown are 78 miles apart.San Antonio's sprawl and northeastern suburbs from Austins southern end is about 30 miles from each other.Then you have New braunfels and San Marcos in between.
Okay, and there is continuous development between Seattle, Tacoma, and Bellvue. Seattle and Tacoma are only 30 miles apart.

From Downtown SA to Downtown Austin is 81 miles. I got it from Google directions.

Quote:
He says Seattle has 4 million and twice the size of San Antonio metro then it would have to include Everett for that total, and then would be a CSA.Tacoma is between 60-70 miles from Everett.That is a land area comprable in distance and ins size of the San Antonio-Austin Corridor.Ok Seattle tacoma-Bellevue, says CBSA, whatever that is.I guess it is a CSA.I see a population of 3.2 million, where is the other 800,000 people makin it twice the size.Compare your apples to apples if you want a good comparsion.
What are you talking about? The link I showed says "Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue MSA". Where are you getting this CBSA from? I see a population of about 3.3 million.

Quote:
Guerilla, you love to disagree with everything I post.Lets make these posts based on actual facts and not a personal,"im going to prove you wrong kinda thing" You haven't really proved me wrong,yet on anything.I guess thats what peturbs you.Ifyou are right I will acknowledge you.
My posts are. I am right (on some things), but you start typing stuff about CBSA (whatever that means), among other things that don't make sense.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 PM

84,989 posts, read 98,832,039 times
It's too bad this topic degenerated into San Antonio vs Seattle.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 PM

288 posts, read 1,225,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
As far as metro populations you are reffering to a CSA Seattle-Tacoma-Everett of 4 million not an MSA Seattle of 4 million.San Antonio-New Braunfels -San Marcos-Austin has nearly 4 million people.Austin Metro begins only minutes from San Antonio's.Seattle and it's major suburbs are all in King county(1.7 million, 2,200 sq miles) San Antonio(Bexar County 1200sq mi 1.6 million.So both cores are pretty much equal in core population.

You can never realy compare an MSA to a CSA.

San Antonio is over 2 millon.
Seattle's population, and developement is endless from Everett to Seattle, to Tacoma, on down to Olympia. This continues, for miles and miles. The entire corridor is connected by the Seattle Sounder Commuter Heavy Rail, from Everett to Tacoma. So a 4 million MSA makes sense for Seattle.

San Antonio, to Austin just doesn't make sense. There is no development between them, and no rail / transit connecting them.

I'm done with the Seattle VS San Antonio thing. It's pretty obvious Seattle is in a different league, and on a global scale, I don't have to explaine it again. You can't live a major US city withought seeing something from Seattle, that's how major of a player Seattle is. It's pretty much that simple.

To the person, who wondered what other city is near Seattle that anyone would care about! How bout this little boring place called Vancouver B.C..........wow. I'm serrious......some post are so off base.

LOL.........back to the tier thing.

US
Tier 1a
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington D.C.

Tier 1b
San Francsco
Seattle
Boston
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Dallas

Tier 2
Minn / St Paul
Austin
Charlotte
??????????????

Tier 3
Philly
Portland
Detroit
San Antonio
??????????????

Tier 4
????????

You can fill in the blanks

Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,447,316 times
Well, on SA's defense, it is close to Houston and Dallas, which are both more important than Seattle, and Houston more important than Vancouver.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,494,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Well, on SA's defense, it is close to Houston and Dallas, which are both more important than Seattle, and Houston more important than Vancouver.
Come on, guys. I don't think that Dallas and Houston are more important than Seattle. They are all on the same level. Dallas anchors the Southwest/central, Houston anchors the Gulf Coast, and Seattle anchors the PNW. Everybody in the world knows where Seattle is and what is produced there, just like everybody in the world knows about Dallas and Houston. All three cities are 2nd tier cities under NY, Chicago, LA, DC, and maybe the SF Bay Area.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 PM

288 posts, read 1,225,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
It's like this.........Seattle is close to Portland, and Vancouver B.C.

San Antonio .............is close to Houston and Dallas.

Importance........Houston and Dallas are important cities,...... more important than Seattle is very debatable. All three are global players. But I won't deny their importance.

What three cities do you think most people would want to live in?

Seattle
Vancouver B.C.
Portland

or

San Antonio
Houston
Dallas

I think the Northwest is a more desirable place IMO

I don't even like Portland, but I'd live there before those three in Texas.

and Seattle and Vancouver B.C. are just stunning.

BUT I have to say........Dallas WOW has some of the hottest women in Texas.

I take the Portland thing back,........I'd do Dallas..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City