U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2007, 09:05 PM
 
2,548 posts, read 5,129,647 times
Reputation: 743

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Who did you silence with stuff like that? Seriosuly, Newark?
Monumental says San Antonio's economy and importance is inferior to most other large cities because of it's GDP per capita.The little cities I listed have higher GPD per capita than Seattle.So going by his theory Wilmington's economy is superior and in a higher tier than Seattle.

 
Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,225,329 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I'm not pooh-poohing the past contribution of Motown as a musical genre, in fact it's one of my favorites, but Detroit hasn't produced big cultural waves since the late 60s. Detroit had a great musical flowering for a short period and then Motown Records moved to LA. Athens had a great flowering of drama 2500 years ago, but people don't travel to Athens today to experience what's new and exciting in the theater.

As for Seattle, why so defensive? I put it as a class 2-A city. My discussion specifically mentioned the importance of Boeing and Microsoft. Are you arguing that Seattle is a Tier 1-B city in the same league as Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington and San Francisco? That's a hard hill to climb. Even realistic partisans would agree to that. I put Seattle in with some good company.

As for the belittling of San Diego... there is no rationality in that argument. I thought the 2-B ranking was appropriate for the 17th largest metro in the country with one of the largest military complexes in the world, a university ranked within the top 50 worldwide, a thriving biotechnology and telecommunications economic cluster that is globally significant, and a theater community that serves as a testing ground for many productions before they go to Broadway.

And finally as for closing the thread, I know that from time to time threads become so long and unwieldy the moderators will close them for that reason alone. It can become impossible for old and new posters to stay current with everything that's been written in the 300+ posts previous, though I did just spend a couple of hours reading all of them.
Here we go again.......lol

the misinformed - seem to say anything.

you should have just kept reading instead of posting.


Detroit - (you said hasn't produced big cultural waves in music since the 60's) .....I guess one of the most popular rappers on planet earth "eminem" doesn't count????? Along with Kid Rock, and D-12

Motown - is Headquartered in New York not L.A.

Detroit - The Detroit Theatre District is the second largest in the United States

2005 they hosted the NBA all-star game, 2006 Hosted the Superbowl

Detroit is home to General Motors / Ford / and Chrysler

I mean get your facts straight.

and Seattle - being defensive???? no...just facts. Seattle speaks for itself, I could go on for hours about the amount of things that originate from Seattle that effect the US and it's culture. I'd rather you just read more, and educate yourself on both cities.

No one said Seattle is on L.A. New York, level........why you even said that makes no sense what so ever?

But after New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington D.C., and maybe San Francisco,............Seattle is right in there, it's just a fact.

as for Belittling San Diego.......another no. Overstating your town, and throwing out nonsense on a forum, puts your town in a commpromised position by your lack of facts.

If anyone tried to Belittle a town, it was you......stating Detroit and Seattle, had contributions that came and went and weren't that significant. Very rediculous statement.

Last edited by Monumental1; 11-10-2007 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: .
 
Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,225,329 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Just to silence a few! HeHe, Im good at that!

Anyhow, Momumental!!!Bud........ Jersey City,Trenton NJ,Newark,Willmington,De and Richmond.VA have higher GDP per capita than Seattle, I guess these cities are in a superior league than the Emerald city of Seattle.I don't think Indian Chief Seattle would like to hear bad news like this about the city named after him.
LMAO..........poor SweethomeSanAntonio..........I admire your Civic pride. But I have not laughed more at a persons post ever,..........lets get off the Seattle VS San Antonio thing already.

Just go read information about the two cities, and you'll know you are fighting a loosing battle.

You trying to convince yourself somehow San Antonio is in Seattle's league, is like me trying to convince everyone Seattle is in New Yorks...........that's how off base you are....trust me on this one tiger.
 
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,887 posts, read 12,193,593 times
Reputation: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
LMAO....SweethomeSanAntonio..........I admire your Civic pride. But I have not laughed more at a persons post ever,..........lets get off the Seattle VS San Antonio thing already.

Just go read information about the two cities, and you'll know you are fighting a loosing battle.

Speaking of fighting a losing battle. Choke on these numbers chief. Seattle a tier 1 city and Philadelphia a tier 3 city?

Statements like that relegate you to complete loss of credibility by anyone who has at or above average intelligence. A "monumental"ous fraud is my take on the situation.Sorry smallfry Seattle comes up #13 in the usa on economic prowess. Thats the facts.

I didn't particularly dislike Seattle but after listening to your non stop bashing of other cities and trying to make Seattle into something it isn't-my likabilty factor for Seattle has dropped several notches.

Lets also address the spindoctor who(a few pages back) speculated that a cities true economic barometer is per capita GDP. I call bull$*#! on that hocus pocus mularkey. Total GDP is what matters,that is what seperates the Big Boys from the wannabees. Medians and averages are for the pencil pocketed nerds at MIT. Give me total $$$$

I'll stand by my opinion that Philly is not behind Seattle,Charlotte and Austin. I'll stand behind my opinion that Philly is the 4th biggest powerhouse in the USA. As a single sphere of influence(say a 25 mile radius) The city of Philadlephia is behind only NYC,LA and Chi. Houston would follow Philly to round out the top 5. Then you can sort out the combo supersized metros Sf-SJ-OAK, DC-Bal, Bos-Prov, Dall-Fort Worth. If Philadelphia got to play that same game it would be part of a 28 Million person metro as it would combine with NYC/NJ.

Philaldephia has a county (Mercer County NJ) 10 miles from its border that somehow got sucked out of its metro and sucked into NYC metro which is 66 miles away. Philly has to deal with this type of political gamesmanship and its still one of he top 5 metros in the country. Monumental Question Mark ranks Seattle tier 1,Charlotte 2, Philly tier 3 -That is borderline insane.








City Mayors: Richest cities in the world in 2005 and 2020 by GDP

Data calculated by Pricewaterhouse Cooper.

City mayors


CITIES
Core cities: Largest world core cities | Capital cities |2005


Richest cities and urban areas in 2005
Rank City/Urban area Country GDP in US$bn
1 Tokyo Japan 1191
2 New York USA 1133
3 Los Angeles USA 639
4 Chicago USA 460
5 Paris France 460
6 London UK 452
7 Osaka/Kobe Japan 341
8 Mexico City Mexico 315
9 Philadelphia USA 312
10 Washington DC USA 299
11 Boston USA 290
12 Dallas/Fort Worth USA 268
13 Buenos Aires Argentina 245
14 Hong Kong China 244
15 San Francisco/Oakland USA 242
16 Atlanta USA 236
17 Houston USA 235
18 Miami USA 231
19 Sao Paulo Brazil 225
20 Seoul South Korea 218
21 Toronto Canada 209
22 Detroit USA 203
23 Madrid Spain 188
24 Seattle USA 186
25 Moscow Russia 181
26 Sydney Australia 172
27 Phoenix USA 156
28 Minneapolis USA 155
29 San Diego USA 153
30 Rio de Janeiro Brazil 141
31 Barcelona Spain 140
32 Shanghai China 139
33 Melbourne Australia 135
34 Istanbul Turkey 133
35 Denver USA 130
36 Singapore Singapore 129
37 Mumbai India 126
38 Rome Italy 123
39 Montreal Canada 120
40 Milan Italy 115
41 Baltimore USA 110
42 Metro Manila Philippines 108
43 St Louis USA 101
44 Beijing China 99
45 Cairo Egypt 98
46 Jakarta Indonesia 98
47 Tampa/St Petersburg USA 97
48 Pusan South Korea 95
49 Kolkata India 94
50 Vienna Austria 93
51 Delhi India 93
52 Tel Aviv-Jaffa Israel 92
53 Santiago Chile 91
54 Cleveland USA 90
55 Bangkok Thailand 89
56 Tehran Iran 88
57 Portland USA 87
58 Bogotá Colombia 86
59 St Petersburg Russia 85
60 Guangzhou China 84
61 Pittsburgh USA 80
62 Riyadh Saudi Arabia 80
63 Lisbon Portugal 79
64 Vancouver Canada 79
65 Johannesburg South Africa 79
66 Monterrey Mexico 78
67 Stockholm Sweden 76
68 Cape Town South Africa 75
69 Berlin Germany 75
70 Athens Greece 73
71 Birmingham UK 72
72 Fukuoka Japan 72
73 Manchester UK 69
74 Lima Peru 67
75 Belo Horizonte Brazil 65
76 Guadalajara Mexico 60
77 Hamburg Germany 58
78 Turin Italy 58
79 Lyon France 56
80 Jiddah Saudi Arabia 55
81 Karachi Pakistan 55
82 Dhaka Bangladesh 52
83 Munich Germany 50
84 Dublin Ireland 49
85 Leeds UK 48
86 Warsaw Poland 48
87 Tianjin China 45
88 Bangalore India 45
89 Porto Alegre Brazil 44
90 Helsinki Finland 43
91 Naples Italy 43
92 Budapest Hungary 43
93 Zurich Switzerland 42
94 Ankara Turkey 42
95 Amsterdam Netherlands 42
96 Auckland New Zealand 41
97 Copenhagen Denmark 41
98 Recife Brazil 41
99 Rotterdam Netherlands 40
100 Brussels Belgium 39
101 East Rand South Africa 39
102 Brasilia Brazil 38
103 Salvador El Salvador 38
104 Wuhan China 38
105 Chennai India 38
106 Ho Chi Min City Vietnam 38
107 Hyderabad India 38
108 Fortaleza Brazil 37
109 Prague Czech Republic 36
110 Chongqing China 35
111 Algiers Algeria 35
112 Medellin Colombia 34
113 Taegu South Korea 34
114 Curitiba Brazil 33
115 Ahmadabad India 32
116 Oslo Norway 31
117 Izmir Turkey 31
118 Lagos Nigeria 30
119 Pune India 30
120 Alexandria Egypt 30
121 Cologne Germany 29
122 Lahore Pakistan 28
123 Caracas Venezuela 28
124 Hanoi Vietnam 28
125 Shenyang China 27
126 Puebla Mexico 27
127 Lille France 27
128 Bandung Indonesia 26
129 Casablanca Morocco 24
130 Khartoum Sudan 23
131 Surat India 22
132 Baghdad Iraq 22
133 Chengdu China 21
134 Xian China 19
135 Kanpur India 17
136 Yangon Burma 16
137 Chittagong Bangladesh 16
138 Changchun China 15
139 Jaipur India 15
140 Lucknow India 14
141 Luanda Angola 12
142 Abidjan Ivory Coast 11
143 Pyongyang North Korea 10
144 Faisalabad Pakistan 10
145 Kinshasha Congo 10
146 Krakow Poland 10
147 Kabul Afghanistan 9
148 Nairobi Kenya 8
149 Addis Ababa Ethiopia 7
150 Kano Nigeria 7
151 Dar es Salaam Tanzania 5

Last edited by rainrock; 11-10-2007 at 10:59 PM..
 
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
Reputation: 206
Houston is going to pass Philly's metro in population by 2008. So it will look like this:

NYC
LA
CHI
DFW
HOUSTON

And Mercer County had more commuters going to NYC than Philly. The reason for the split. Also, if you use 2006 GDP numbers, Houston and DFW passed Philly.
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,225,329 times
Reputation: 113
rainrock,

you have seriously hit troll levels. I just got threw sticking up for a city that everyone condemns......(Detroit) so once again, you make absolutely no sense what so ever.

Tell me how am I overstating Seattle's importance in the US by saying it is more important than San Antonio, but not before NY, L.A. Chicago, D.C. San Fran? You are delusional to think otherwise.

You must have some sort of agenda, for your cotribution of ignorance to the discussion. Stick to the facts. No one could care less where you want to live or not. You sound like a serrious hater, from this point on, I'm just going to let you go on a tirade with yourself.

You are a bit weird dood!

Last edited by Monumental1; 11-10-2007 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: .
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,876 posts, read 6,016,777 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Seattle's population, and developement is endless from Everett to Seattle, to Tacoma, on down to Olympia. This continues, for miles and miles. The entire corridor is connected by the Seattle Sounder Commuter Heavy Rail, from Everett to Tacoma. So a 4 million MSA makes sense for Seattle.

San Antonio, to Austin just doesn't make sense. There is no development between them, and no rail / transit connecting them.

I'm done with the Seattle VS San Antonio thing. It's pretty obvious Seattle is in a different league, and on a global scale, I don't have to explaine it again. You can't live a major US city withought seeing something from Seattle, that's how major of a player Seattle is. It's pretty much that simple.

To the person, who wondered what other city is near Seattle that anyone would care about! How bout this little boring place called Vancouver B.C..........wow. I'm serrious......some post are so off base.

LOL.........back to the tier thing.

US
Tier 1a
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington D.C.

Tier 1b
San Francsco
Seattle
Boston
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Dallas

Tier 2
Minn / St Paul
Austin
Charlotte
??????????????


Tier 3
Philly
Portland
Detroit
San Antonio
??????????????

Tier 4
????????

You can fill in the blanks
lmao. You putting philly in tier 3 behind Austin, Texas doesn't do your argument very good (even if I agree with you about the Seattle thing). Yeah I guess Philadelphia only has the 9th largest economy on EARTH! City Mayors reviews the richest cities in the world in 2005

It's metro population has almost 6 million. It only suffers because its between D.C. and NYC. If Philly was in the Southeast, PNW, or really any other region it would get more respect.
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 PM
 
2,548 posts, read 5,129,647 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
LMAO..........poor SweethomeSanAntonio..........I admire your Civic pride. But I have not laughed more at a persons post ever,..........lets get off the Seattle VS San Antonio thing already.

Just go read information about the two cities, and you'll know you are fighting a loosing battle.

You trying to convince yourself somehow San Antonio is in Seattle's league, is like me trying to convince everyone Seattle is in New Yorks...........that's how off base you are....trust me on this one tiger.

I never said San Antonio is in the same league as Seattle just that Seattle does not dwarf San Antonio in anyway.Seattle skyline is one of the biggest in the nation, i will say that.Seattle has a much bigger skyline than Phoenix also but it's metro is smaller.

San Antonio is in the same league as any metro in 2 to 2.5 million.Even ones a bit bigger,like San Diego.Maybe not every aspect, but in many ways.I dont think San Diego has many F-500's based there.

Seattle has Boeing and Microsoft, big, big, names so Im aware San Antonio isn't in the same league.But it is equal in some ways, for example more or less the same size first 500 sq miles.San Antonio get more vistors,has a bigger freeway system, so thats why I feel you can't say Seattle is in a different league in every way.
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,225,329 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
lmao. You putting philly in tier 3 behind Austin, Texas doesn't do your argument very good (even if I agree with you about the Seattle thing). Yeah I guess Philadelphia only has the 9th largest economy on EARTH! City Mayors reviews the richest cities in the world in 2005

It's metro population has almost 6 million. It only suffers because its between D.C. and NYC. If Philly was in the Southeast, PNW, or really any other region it would get more respect.
My mistake on that one........Philly is higher on the tier ranking, I'd put it in the tier with Seattle...........

but as far as putting it in another region..........It would still play second, third, etc. fiddle to Los Angeles, and San Francisco, you could even argue Seattle, Minn / St Paul, and Miami, Houston, or Atlanta. So I don't think that really holds any weight.

Last edited by Monumental1; 11-10-2007 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: .
 
Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,887 posts, read 12,193,593 times
Reputation: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Houston is going to pass Philly's metro in population by 2008. So it will look like this:

NYC
LA
CHI
DFW
HOUSTON

And Mercer County had more commuters going to NYC than Philly. The reason for the split. Also, if you use 2006 GDP numbers, Houston and DFW passed Philly.
The NE tip to the SW tip of Dallas-FW metro is what 60-70 miles? If you took the same parameters in Philly the metro population would be 15 Million people wth GNP of three times that of Houston or Dallas . Give me a break with these imaginery defined boundaries/steel curtains for Philadelphia but the sunbelt cities can sprawl endlessly.



i pose this question. Mercer County NJ has more commuters to NYC than Philly, or NY/North Jersey's politicians are more powerful than Pa.'s? I'm not buying the concept that Mercer County which is directly across the river from Philly has more commuters traveling 66 miles away? It just doesn't add up. This has politics written all over it . The people from Mercer county are not commuting to NYC, if anything they are commuting to Trenton,Princeton and lawrenceville. Hardly NYC territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top