Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

[quote=StuyTownRefugee;1932400][quote=pittnurse70;1930319]Since you did this ranking solely based on size, I would suggest a few adjustments. Omaha has >400,000 people. Richmond has <200,000. They should be switched. Boulder does not even have 100,000, and is irrelevant.

No you're comparing metros with cities standalones, the metro for Richmond is well over a million, Omaha's is about what you stated.[/QUOTE]

[quote=Steve_W;1935517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post

Latest census shows Omaha's metro nearing 900K / City 450K
The bold part is not part of my post. It is a quote of someone quoting me. Just FYI. I can't even find my original post in this mess. There have been at least 10 pages devoted to San Antonio vs Seattle.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 AM

231 posts, read 1,142,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh dont be so doom and gloom about everything. You know no one knows the future. Places that are booming now are not guaranteed anything. For all we know, South Dakota could one day surpass California.

Look at Alberta up in Canada. They were in the doldrums a few years back, but the discovery of oil deposits in the sand of the northern sections of that province have seen a boom that has propelled it to a level that is all the envy of the other provinces.
I would like nothing more than for the US as a whole to gain quality jobs. As far as I see, they are just transferring the existing ones either out-of-country or in low-wage southern states. Sunbelt growth is deceiving, because not only is it based largely on housing growth which has essentially stalled recently, but much is just from companies relocating down south, or factories built by foreign corporations, who retain most of the profits, and all of the control. You really have to qualify the growth, and look at it in the context of a national job market.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 AM

646 posts, read 813,318 times
[quote=pittnurse70;1967689][quote=StuyTownRefugee;1932400][quote=pittnurse70;1930319]Since you did this ranking solely based on size, I would suggest a few adjustments. Omaha has >400,000 people. Richmond has <200,000. They should be switched. Boulder does not even have 100,000, and is irrelevant.

No you're comparing metros with cities standalones, the metro for Richmond is well over a million, Omaha's is about what you stated.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post

The bold part is not part of my post. It is a quote of someone quoting me. Just FYI. I can't even find my original post in this mess. There have been at least 10 pages devoted to San Antonio vs Seattle.

This is a somewhat difficult forum to navigate and post, it should be more streamlined with these quotes, sorry, I meant it for whoever said it. The quotes drag on and on.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post

Then they are commuting to some other county in the NYC MSA.
Come on now, You dont really believe that do you? Upper right hand corner of the map the light pollution is Mercer Co NJ( right hand side of of Delaware River bank), literally 10 miles from the border of Philadlephia.70 miles from Manhattan- a ton of that 70 miles very rural in nature I might add. It also happens to be one of the wealthier counties in the country and got jacked from Philly and handed to NYC.

It has nothing to do with commutes and everything to do with politcal power. NY has it. Philadlephia doesnt.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Come on now, You dont really believe that do you? Upper right hand corner of the map the light pollution is Mercer Co NJ( right hand side of of Delaware River bank), literally 10 miles from the border of Philadlephia.70 miles from Manhattan- a ton of that 70 miles very rural in nature I might add. It also happens to be one of the wealthier counties in the country and got jacked from Philly and handed to NYC.

It has nothing to do with commutes and everything to do with politcal power. NY has it. Philadlephia doesnt.
I'll agree with you here: DFW is really NOT the 4th largest MSA. It's Philly but it depends on how anyone counts it. It seems the Census Bureau cannot make accurate rankings because of the strict rules in creating MSAs; the San Francisco Bay Area is divided by 2 because of a rule. Another example is who Frederick, MD and Hagerstown, MD belongs to? These people commute to Baltimore or Washington and this could make a case of combining the two cities into one MSA.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 AM

646 posts, read 813,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I'll agree with you here: DFW is really NOT the 4th largest MSA. It's Philly but it depends on how anyone counts it. It seems the Census Bureau cannot make accurate rankings because of the strict rules in creating MSAs; the San Francisco Bay Area is divided by 2 because of a rule. Another example is who Frederick, MD and Hagerstown, MD belongs to? These people commute to Baltimore or Washington and this could make a case of combining the two cities into one MSA.
That is true with Frederick, but not Hagerstown.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
San Antonio - has alot to offer. - Clear Channel, Valero Energy Corp etc......the river walk is beautiful,........your spurs keep winning. So it's a city with some things going on, as does Seattle. I like Texas in general to visit, (I wouldn't live there).....it's a bit too hot for me, and flat, but very diverse (I especially like that). Houston is nice, and Dallas......I'm telling you Dallas, Big D has got the hottest women in Texas IMO.

When I say Seattle is in a different league, I don't want you to think I'm saying the city is just so much better than yours. Everyone has their own taste so to some I've heard say Seattle is the best city in the US in every way............Then I've heard......I hate the place, too much traffic, weather / rain, too corporate, too expensive etc..(The common consensus amongst those who love or hate Seattle is....It sure is a beautiful place)

I mean different league - in terms of US and global importance, I dont' think there is a debate there at all. Seattle is playing with the big boys.

Phoenix metro, and Seattle's are very close in population. Both 4 million+ If you use the entire Seattle corridor Everett to Olympia. Which makes sense, because the population is continuous and are connected by public rail. Without that the MSA is around 3.2 to 3.4 million., San Antonio is 1.9

Thanks for the comment but cant forget San Antono's global F-500 the new At&T.San Antonio metro had 1,942,000 in 2006.It is almost 2008 so it's surely over 2 million.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Oh man, San Fran is just crazy. The San Fran-Oakland MSA and the San Jose MSA is divided by a freaking boulevard. A boulevard! How can you divide to different metro areas like that?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:47 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

It is actually fully developed along the Brunswick Pike.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Oh man, San Fran is just crazy. The San Fran-Oakland MSA and the San Jose MSA is divided by a freaking boulevard. A boulevard! How can you divide to different metro areas like that?
Which Boulevard would that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City