U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM

288 posts, read 1,225,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
No not to most, only to you.^

You can thank the Pacific Ocean and the Great Plains for SF ,SD and Seattle remaining sheltered lilly white pristine bubbles.Philadlephia wasn't so fortunate , its a landlocked, big city east of the Mississippi that got turned upside down- till this day- when the federal govt decided that millions of uneducated unskilled southern african americans were going to be placed and integrated into those big eastern cities. Philadlephia literally wasn't able to dodge that bullet like SF-Sea.. That being said despite the albatross of having hundreds of thousands of metro Philadlephians living on social services -metro Philadlephia still one of the most robust economic engines of this country.
I apologize on behalf of all intelligent life across the world, for having to read this tirade of trash from rainrock.
You are really giving Philly a black eye.
……..is this forum moderated? You have got to be kidding me!

Last edited by Monumental1; 11-11-2007 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: .

Old 11-11-2007, 06:08 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,191,933 times
What do you want a moderator to do with that? Its the stark truth put in a very non offensive context.Cant you handle the truth? And whats with you always crying for a moderator? If you cant fight your own battles then I suggest that you avoid them. You like to dish it out but when someone comes back at you you go whining for a moderator. Sad, really. What am I dealing with here? Please tell me you are underthe age of 15.

FWIW, A few of my very best friends are african american and we talk at nauseum about the disaster going on in the hoods of the big eastern cities. The trials and tribulations that resulted in this mess but you wouldnt know anything about that now would you?

Last edited by rainrock; 11-11-2007 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,189,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
and I hope you realize

A cities gross domestic product, or GDP, is one of the ways of measuring the size of its economy

The GDP - is defined as the total market value of all final goods and services produced within a city in a given period of time (usually a calendar year). It is also considered the sum of value added at every stage of production (the intermediate stages) of all final goods and services produced within a city in a given period of time.
The most common approach to measuring and understanding GDP is the expenditure method:
GDP = consumption + investment + (government spending) + (exports ? imports), or, GDP = C + I + G + (X-M) with that said - no one persons consumption, can alter the outcome of the GDP no matter how rich they are. They would have to consume everything, and sustain it over a years time, and we all know that is not possible.

The city of Seattle is just a wealthy city (and that's in the city limits)

either way it goes / Seattle and Philly are in the world rankings.
In the US, Seattle is the richer city % wise.

GDP I believe philly is 5th or so in the US
I think you missed my point. I understand that metropolitan GDP measures the size of the economy in metropolitan areas, but that wasn't what I was contesting - I was contesting you referencing the amount very wealthy people in the Seattle area as an indication of the overall amount of wealth. That is not the case, because it's only reflective of a very small portion of the populaton. The median household income figures I presented are more reflective of average money earned, which, if measured per capita, can indeed skew the economic picture for a given area if there are just a couple people make huge incomes. Here's a hypothetical example to prove my point:

Town X's Per Capita/Median Income:

20 people make $50,000
1 person makes $50,000,000

P.C. = $2,550,000

Median (middle 50%) = $50,000

Which figure better reflects the picture of what Town X's residents earn on average?

Last edited by Duderino; 11-11-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 06:16 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
In bold above all the US cities listed in top 150 urban centers. I agree with rainrock, PWC (price water house) would'nt f up statistics, and they aren't some hobos in a basement.

This is probably on of the most valid lists I've seen in "city rankings" of tiers. There are 20 cities bolded. Does that imply the top 20 most significant cities?

Maybe so but incorrect facts on some of their other lists.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
What do you want a moderator to do with that? Its the stark truth put in a very non offensive context.Cant you handle the truth? And whats with you always crying for a moderator? If you cant fight your own battles then I suggest that you avoid them. You like to dish it out but when someone comes back at you you go whining for a moderator. Sad, really. What am I dealing with here? Please tell me you are underthe age of 15.

FWIW, A few of my very best friends are african american and we talk at nauseum about the disaster going on in the hoods of the big eastern cities. The trials and tribulations that resulted in this mess.
"My Best Friends are African American" - news flash, (that's what most racist people say).......just incase you think that's the get me off the hook line. (also notice I highlighted your remarks of "Lilly white people" also) I'm African American

I think racial statements are inappropriate on any level against any race period.

These forums have moderators, to prevent ignorant people like yourself from posting nonsense. Rainrock you are a continues thread of unimaginable ignorance, overzealous overstatements, and child like tirades. So how could I be in a battle with someone, intellectually inferior to me. The only sad thing is there are people who share your same twisted point of view. (One of the problems with the US) - Bigotry

With that said.......I know, and you know - you would never in your life want to stand face to face with me, or millions of others, in these "hoods" and say half the things you are saying online. That's a coward - and that's less than sad! So stop with your online, closed doors thugin' and keep it real, and just stick to thread topics.

You are a Joke Rain Rock - and you even know it!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think you missed my point. I understand that metropolitan GDP measures the size of the economy in metropolitan areas, but that wasn't what I was contesting - I was contesting you referencing the amount very wealthy people in the Seattle area as an indication of the overall amount of wealth. That is not the case, because it's only reflective of a very small portion of the populaton. The median household income figures I presented are more reflective of average money earned, which, if measured per capita, can indeed skew the economic picture for a given area if there are just a couple people make huge incomes. Here's a hypothetical example to prove my point:

Town X's Per Capita/Median Income:

20 people make $50,000
1 person makes $50,000,000

P.C. = $2,550,000

Median (middle 50%) = $50,000

Which figure better reflects the picture of what Town X's residents earn on average?
You make sense with what you are saying, and I agree. I think we just both misunderstood each other.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,191,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
"My Best Friends are African American" - news flash, (that's what most racist people say).......just incase you think that's the get me off the hook line. (also notice I highlighted your remarks of "Lilly white people" also) I'm African American

I think racial statements are inappropriate on any level against any race period.

These forums have moderators, to prevent ignorant people like yourself from posting nonsense. Rainrock you are a continues thread of unimaginable ignorance, overzealous overstatements, and child like tirades. So how could I be in a battle with someone, intellectually inferior to me. The only sad thing is there are people who share your same twisted point of view. (One of the problems with the US) - Bigotry

With that said.......I know, and you know - you would never in your life want to stand face to face with me, or millions of others, in these "hoods" and say half the things you are saying online. That's a coward - and that's less than sad! So stop with your online, closed doors thugin' and keep it real, and just stick to thread topics.

You are a Joke Rain Rock - and you even know it!

Lets just clear 2 things up real easy here.

1.I am the antithesis of being a racist- and I resent your accusation immensely- but I will tell the truth regarding racial issues. Theres no law against that and only the weak-minded take offense to hearing the truth.In my opinion the government policy during WW2 of relocating millions of uneducated, unskilled african american farmers into the same confined overcrowded city blocks of ethnic Poles,Jews,Italians,Irish was a catastrophe of epic proportions that is still being felt 70 years later in Philadlephia,Chicago,NY,Detroit,Bal,Cincy, and Cle among others. These cities have never been the same since that failed policy....Nothing whatsoever in that statement was meant to discredit any race. As I said before some of my best friends are african americans and I don't need to slip off any hooks as you alluded to. I find it very telling that a poster who is defaming me has a reputation of 7. Thats 3 reputation points less then when you started posting.What does that tell you?

Your desperation is starting to cross the line with the racial accusations.

2. On a lighter note I literally got pains in my stomach from laughing so hard after reading your self-made claims of intellectual superiority. Now that was truly funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by rainrock; 11-11-2007 at 08:07 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 PM

646 posts, read 563,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
That would be like saying San Antonio has world influence. HEBs in Mexico. At&t service nation wide and beyond. Clear channel has station is every major market. Taco Cabanas rapidly expanding. C'mon on really?
No it isn't.

Seattle is a major sea and airport, major links in ocean frt and service to Asian cities and lots of non-stop and direct flts to NYC, MSN alone makes Seattle and Bellevue well known, REALLY!!

SA is more of a cultural center. You don't think WAMU gets Washington's name out there competing in a Global city in NY's finance arena? NY is a hard nut to crack but Seattle cracked it. Also it is the headquarters of the Boeing Company, the world's largest aerospace firm.

The Port of Seattle, the second largest handler of container cargo in the country, provides a direct connection to the Orient and serves as a major link in trade with markets in Alaska, on the Gulf of Mexico, and on the Atlantic Coast. With its multifaceted transportation network of freeways, railroads, an airport, a ferry system, and port facilities, Seattle is the principal trade, distribution, financial, and services center for the Northwest. Seattle: Economy - Major Industries and Commercial Activity

IT has made Seattle. Also many universities in NY use Univ of Washington programs like email programs.

You're just being silly!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:48 AM

3,861 posts, read 10,091,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
In bold above all the US cities listed in top 150 urban centers. I agree with rainrock, PWC (price water house) would'nt f up statistics, and they aren't some hobos in a basement.

This is probably on of the most valid lists I've seen in "city rankings" of tiers. There are 20 cities bolded. Does that imply the top 20 most significant cities?
Not to downplay the importance of economic output in relation to a city's ranking on these scales - it is very significant - but I believe concentrating on that alone leaves out some important more difficult to quantify factors. We should certainly recognize the dominant importance of economic production, but also recognize the import of cultural, political, and scientific/educational influence. Political power adds weight to DC's overall importance outside of it's economic output. LA's cultural importance does the same. Boston gains added influence because of the concentration of premier educational institutions in it's vicinity. Phoenix loses stature because it has no educational institutions that are of the first order.

These parameters are of course far more difficult to quantify and give greater latitude for dispute, but they can be key factors in adjusting the rank of cities that are otherwise closely matched in economic output.

Another intangible factor is whether a city has a strong base in an up and coming economic industry rather than one that is in decline. Even if the declining industry is still producing more value than the up and coming one, all of the buzz and excitement will surround the city whose prospects look brighter and are on the grow. That matters when judging cities on a global scale of status. People the world over will be making tracks to the city with buzz.

Another factor as I and others have mentioned is being caught in the shadow of a nearby large metropolis that completely outshines the one in question. San Diego, Philadelphia, and Baltimore all suffer from this. Sacramento will too even if it grows by millions as is predicted.

There are a lot of intangibles beyond the numbers of population and GDP involved in this discussion - or screaming match - depending on the posters involved.

So, the question I have is, what weight do you give these intangibles when ranking a city?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 AM

2,548 posts, read 5,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
No it isn't.

Seattle is a major sea and airport, major links in ocean frt and service to Asian cities and lots of non-stop and direct flts to NYC, MSN alone makes Seattle and Bellevue well known, REALLY!!

SA is more of a cultural center. You don't think WAMU gets Washington's name out there competing in a Global city in NY's finance arena? NY is a hard nut to crack but Seattle cracked it. Also it is the headquarters of the Boeing Company, the world's largest aerospace firm.

The Port of Seattle, the second largest handler of container cargo in the country, provides a direct connection to the Orient and serves as a major link in trade with markets in Alaska, on the Gulf of Mexico, and on the Atlantic Coast. With its multifaceted transportation network of freeways, railroads, an airport, a ferry system, and port facilities, Seattle is the principal trade, distribution, financial, and services center for the Northwest. Seattle: Economy - Major Industries and Commercial Activity

IT has made Seattle. Also many universities in NY use Univ of Washington programs like email programs.

You're just being silly!

DId u know Boenig has a plant in San Antonio? it has operatons at the largest hanger in the world at the Port of San Antonio over 2,000 employed.San Antonio has a $4 billion dollar aerospace industry.Washington Mutual has a new campus in San Antonio and also has over 2,000 employees.San Antonio also has a world class infrastructure.

Port San Antonio: Home

Video
Airport: Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO)

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-12-2007 at 02:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City