Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 02:23 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,631 times

Advertisements

Tier 1
New York City

Tier 2
Los Angeles
Washington D.C.
Chicago

Tier 3
San Francisco
Houston
Boston
Philadelphia
Miami

Tier 4
Atlanta
San Jose
Seattle
Dallas
Minneapolis
Detroit
San Diego
Denver
Pittsburgh

Tier 5
St. Louis
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Charlotte
Cleveland
Tampa
Sacramento
Cincinnati
Portland

Last edited by BlackOut; 11-08-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
That's not really true. If you where to have said energy
Sorry I did mean to say Energy not just oil. And I Stand by my rankings. and most of Houston major companies are related to energy of the 107 major companies in Houston 29 of them have nothing to do with Energy. So more than 70% of Houston's economy has to do with some type of energy.

Theres nothing wrong with being a Second Tier American City !!!!:

AND DONT TAKE AWAY FROM OTHER CITIES BECAUSE YOU LIKE YOUR CITY MORE

Edit: To BlackOut Sorry forgot about Minneapolis, Milwaukee I would put both of them in the Third tier with Minneapolis behind Charlotte and Milwaukee last.

Last edited by Mgyeldell; 11-08-2009 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Since I Didnt want to start a new thread. and this Thread was started before the economic downturn, about 2 years ago, alot has changed in some peoples views of American Cities.

Heres My Tiers

Tier 1a (International Recognition)
New York City
Los Angeles
Washington DC

Tier 1b (Some International Recognition- Super National Cities)
San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Miami
Atlanta

Tier 2 (Super National Cities - Regional Importance)
Houston
Detroit
Seattle
Philadelphia
Dallas
San Diego
Las Vegas

Tier 3 (Regional Importance-Other Factors that hold back from being Tier 2)
Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio

There may be more IDK but this is what I think are the ranks of 2009.
This is a pretty good list and you're right much has happened since the downturn. One major thing is Charlotte lost some clout in the banking industry and before I would have ranked it in your tier 2. I would probably move Las Vegas to third tier and move Houston, TX up to tier 1b. I would also include the addition of the Norfolk-VA Beach metro area in tier 3.

Do you hear that rumbling sound in the distance? That's the sound of dozens of Houston supporters rushing over to turn the thread into another vs. Atlanta thread. No! They're already here!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM

It's actually one of the worst lists I've seen posted. Houston and Philadelphia are ranked above Atlanta. Also, Minneapolis ranks above:
San Diego
Las Vegas
Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio

Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Sorry I did mean to say Energy not just oil. And I Stand by my rankings. and most of Houston major companies are related to energy of the 107 major companies in Houston 29 of them have nothing to do with Energy. So more than 70% of Houston's economy has to do with some type of energy.

Theres nothing wrong with being a Second Tier American City !!!!:

AND DONT TAKE AWAY FROM OTHER CITIES BECAUSE YOU LIKE YOUR CITY MORE

Edit: To BlackOut Sorry forgot about Minneapolis, Milwaukee I would put both of them in the Third tier with Minneapolis behind Charlotte and Milwaukee last.
Oh I don't care where you rank Houston. Many people seem to think the only thing important about Houston is oil companies which isn't true. That is a HUGE underestimate of the impact the city has on the country. I just get annoyed when people dismiss it as JUST an oil town. That's what I was trying to point out but I didn't mean to make it seem everyone should think Houston is a tier one city. I do agree that Houston is a tricky city to place.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
It's actually one of the worst lists I've seen posted. Houston and Philadelphia are ranked above Atlanta. Also, Minneapolis ranks above:
San Diego
Las Vegas
Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio
Agreed.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Oh I don't care where you rank Houston. Many people seem to think the only thing important about Houston is oil companies which isn't true.
People who think Houston is just about oil are complete ignoramuses.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
People who think Houston is just about oil are complete ignoramuses.
Well there's a lot of ignoramuses on CD evidently.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Well there's a lot of ignoramuses on CD evidently.
Or they are just trolls.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:12 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,570 times
Quote:
San Diego
Las Vegas
Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio
Why are you so bent on changing my ranks. I have done so much research on cities (Studying City Planning) I pretty much know what I'm talking about In my rankings. Houston has a larger GMP(Gross Metropolitan Product) than all of my 1b cities except for Chicago, but it doesnt have a really diverse economy like the rest of the 1b cities.

And I do apologize about Philly after some more research, I would re-rank it as the first Tier 2 city above Houston, because of its history, Pop., GMP, and a few other factors. I may even move Philly above Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City