Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times

Advertisements

Houston actually has another local forum that is way larger than Dallas local forum. Houston's local forum has 204,000 posts and Dallas' has 179,000.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:49 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times
Here are my tiers:

(within the tiers there's no particular order as it is highly debateable) Probably the only one agreed across the board is my 1st tier #1.

Tier 1 -U.S. Global cities
New York
L.A.
Chicago

Tier 2- U.S. national cities (lesser global importance)
Dallas/Ft. Worth
San Francisco
Boston
Atlanta
Philly
Houston
Washington D.C.

Tier 3-U.S. cities of great regional importance and lesser national importance
Las Vegas
Seattle
Phoenix
Miami
Charlotte
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

Tier 4- Great importance in their state, but not as important regionally at tier 3

New Orleans
Cleveland
Raleigh
Kansas City
San Diego
Nashville
Baltimore
Portland
Oklahoma City
Virginia Beach/Norfolk
Orlando

Tier 5-small regional influence and sizeable state influence
Richmond
Columbus
Indianapolis
Sacramento
Austin
San Antonio
Memphis
Omaha
Milwaukee
Jacksonville
Tampa
Cincinnatti
Tucson
Albuquerque

..and a whole lot more

Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
^ baltimore is not so important in Maryland,though, Washington is

Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Tier 3-U.S. cities of great regional importance and lesser national importance
Las Vegas
Seattle
Phoenix
Miami
Charlotte
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
I just have a hard time putting Miami (the gateway to the Latin America and one of the largest banking areas in the US) in the same tier with Phoenix, Charlotte, and Las Vegas. Miami has a metro population of 5.5 million people. The next largest city on that list barely has a metro population of over 3.5 million.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ baltimore is not so important in Maryland,though, Washington is
Agreed, thats why I put it in tier 4 while D.C. is in tier 2. It also benefits from being in BosWash and close to DC or else I would probably put it in tier 5.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just have a hard time putting Miami (the gateway to the Latin America and one of the largest banking areas in the US) in the same tier with Phoenix, Charlotte, and Las Vegas. Miami has a metro population of 5.5 million people. The next largest city on that list barely has a metro population of over 3.5 million.
I know, I know, it is hard to place Miami. Sure, the South Florida MSA has over 5 million and has alot of influence in the Latin world but I just don't see it as comparing with cities like San Francisco or D.C. in tier 2. Population isn't everything. Mexico City has over 19 million people in its metro area but it just doesn't have the world-wide influence of NYC (similarly sized) or even the smaller cities of London, Paris, or L.A.

I will concede that if I had to rank tier 3 in importance:
1. Miami
2. Phoenix(mainly because of its growth)
3. Charlotte-key city in the South. If it was in the Northeast i would rank it lower. Also, its second in banking only to NYC.
4. Seattle
5. St. Louis
6. Pittsburgh
7. Las Vegas

Old 11-03-2007, 03:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
This has turned into U.S. City Tears...

Old 11-03-2007, 06:41 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I know, I know, it is hard to place Miami. Sure, the South Florida MSA has over 5 million and has alot of influence in the Latin world but I just don't see it as comparing with cities like San Francisco or D.C. in tier 2. Population isn't everything. Mexico City has over 19 million people in its metro area but it just doesn't have the world-wide influence of NYC (similarly sized) or even the smaller cities of London, Paris, or L.A.

I will concede that if I had to rank tier 3 in importance:
1. Miami
2. Phoenix(mainly because of its growth)
3. Charlotte-key city in the South. If it was in the Northeast i would rank it lower. Also, its second in banking only to NYC.
4. Seattle
5. St. Louis
6. Pittsburgh
7. Las Vegas
I hear what you saying. But I don't think Miami compares with the Charlottes and Phoenix's either. I think it is much more national than it is regional. I will say that your list is the best in the thread though. The only part I disagree with is the Miami part. But other than that, it's good.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 PM

160 posts, read 517,894 times
Think the original post is mostly dead on, I would remove Madison, WI, and add Tulsa, OK to tier 5. Do Boulder and Raleigh really belong here?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
The study did not focus on the relationship among world cities regarding law firms . I believe you misread it.
No, that terminology reeks of GAWC. How exactly do they define "relationship among world cities"? The number of airplanes that fly between them?

If its all the same, I'll go by the ranking that I posted because its far more concise in its explanation of what it means to be a global contributor. And you are more then welcome to believe your stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City