Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,173 times

Advertisements

If you say so..

Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
If you say so..

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
Quote:
New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC

That is all!
These are by far the most important American cities but to say nothing else matters is ridiculous.
1. Chicago has very little influence over many regions in the US, provided you don't trade futures. For people in the South, either D.C, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, etc will have more influence. Influence is a key part of importance. People in the North West will consider Seattle, Vancouver, and even San Fran far more important than Chicago. NYC, LA, and DC have influences that reach the entire US and rival local large cities for influence though.

2. Do you use gasoline for your car? Do you drink Coca Cola, watch CNN, or use Google? That computer your using probably uses technology from San Francisco or Seattle....

3. LA doesn't even dominate California. San Francisco would wield more influence nation-wide if not for the film industry.

4. If the rest of the major cities disappeared you'd feel it quickly. Even NYC is greatly dependent on all of us "flyover" Think the publishing industry in NY would last without all the readers and authors elsewhere? Wall Street wouldn't even exist if not for all the companies throughout America that need to raise capital or the average joe that wants to try his hand in the stock market.

By the way, where do you think a ton of those bankers were educated? In or near Boston!

These 4+San Fran are much more important than the rest but turns out plenty of cities matter. Although I do give you some credit for sharing some power with the other 3 cities unlike some New Yorkers.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I agree. It isn't. Houston is improving but it has a way to go before it reaches a very vibrant city. Houston excels at different stuff though. I don't think Houstonians are trying to tear down a great city like Philly to hype up their own. But to correct people with their little knowledge they have about Houston. I mean, a city that's past it's peak? That's rediculous.
Right, I only felt the need to mention it because some posters that will remain anonymous might still argue Houston (or Uptown or wherever) is on par with cities like Boston or Philly when it comes to vibrancy. Vibrancy doesn't equal importance or even being better though.

Agreed, unlike plenty of Midwestern and some Northeastern cities, Houston has not reached its peak. Texas leads the nation as far as being business-friendly (behind only VA I believe) so we'll continue to see the flow of capital and brainpower slowly shift away from the Northeast. The only danger for Houston is a prolonged energy crisis in the Middle East or the abandonment of fossil fuels leading to the rise of alternatives that don't require Houston's pipeline. But this is still a ways off.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Right, I only felt the need to mention it because some posters that will remain anonymous might still argue Houston (or Uptown or wherever) is on par with cities like Boston or Philly when it comes to vibrancy. Vibrancy doesn't equal importance or even being better though.
I'm not sure many people in Houston would agree that the city is as "vibrant" as Philly or Boston. I've never been to either, but I would assume Philly and Boston would be more vibrant cities.

Quote:
Agreed, unlike plenty of Midwestern and some Northeastern cities, Houston has not reached its peak. Texas leads the nation as far as being business-friendly (behind only VA I believe) so we'll continue to see the flow of capital and brainpower slowly shift away from the Northeast. The only danger for Houston is a prolonged energy crisis in the Middle East or the abandonment of fossil fuels leading to the rise of alternatives that don't require Houston's pipeline. But this is still a ways off.
True. An oil crisis isn't going to eternally cripple Houston. Whatever happens, Houston will most likely be the leader in energy whether oil is the future of the industry or not.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
SWV

Quote:
These are by far the most important American cities but to say nothing else matters is ridiculous.
1. Chicago has very little influence over many regions in the US, provided you don't trade futures. For people in the South, either D.C, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, etc will have more influence. Influence is a key part of importance. People in the North West will consider Seattle, Vancouver, and even San Fran far more important than Chicago. NYC, LA, and DC have influences that reach the entire US and rival local large cities for influence though.

2. Do you use gasoline for your car? Do you drink Coca Cola, watch CNN, or use Google? That computer your using probably uses technology from San Francisco or Seattle....

3. LA doesn't even dominate California. San Francisco would wield more influence nation-wide if not for the film industry.

4. If the rest of the major cities disappeared you'd feel it quickly. Even NYC is greatly dependent on all of us "flyover" Think the publishing industry in NY would last without all the readers and authors elsewhere? Wall Street wouldn't even exist if not for all the companies throughout America that need to raise capital or the average joe that wants to try his hand in the stock market.

By the way, where do you think a ton of those bankers were educated? In or near Boston!

These 4+San Fran are much more important than the rest but turns out plenty of cities matter. Although I do give you some credit for sharing some power with the other 3 cities unlike some New Yorkers.
Okay, thanks for YOUR opinion.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Do we have a problem?
Never mind, Tmac already corrected you in the manner, of which I was gonna do.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:36 PM
SWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Never mind, Tmac already corrected you in the manner, of which I was gonna do.
When did tmac correct me?

-Adds Miami to my list-

Old 11-23-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:

So true.lol

Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
When did tmac correct me?

-Adds Miami to my list-
He explained to you the tier system in this thread. That's what I was gonna do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City