U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 PM

17,108 posts, read 19,432,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
1A: NYC
1B: LA

2A: DMV, Chicago, Bay Area
I'd say these are the top 5 cities. The rest get harder to rank.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 PM

636 posts, read 1,336,870 times
Quote:

I think this list is agreeable, but I really do think Chicago is on L.A.'s level.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 AM

190 posts, read 246,512 times
In order of importance from left to right.

a + if that city's prominence is rising, a - if it's decreasing, and an = if it is staying the same.

Tier 1a: NYC =
Tier 1b: LA =, Chicago =, DC =, San Fran =
Tier 2: Houston ++, ATL +, Boston =, Miami =, Dallas +, Philly -
Tier 3a: Seattle =, Minneapolis +
Tier 3b: Denver +, Charlotte +, San Diego =, Pittsburgh +, Detroit --, St. Louis -, Cleveland -, Phoenix +
Tier 4: San Antonio =, Cinncinati =, Kansas City +, Indianapolis +, Portland +, Austin ++, Columbus +
Tier 5: Las Vegas =, Tampa =, Orlando =, Milwaukee =, Nashville +, Baltimore -, New Orleans =
Non Tiered (worthwhile mentions): Richmond, Sacramento, Raleigh, Memphis,

Tier 1a is in a league of its own.
Tier 1b have significant global recognition and immense stature domestically.
Tier 2 are very important nationally, but have less impact globally.
Tier 3a and 3b have regional importance domestically, with limited impact globally.
Tier 4 are important cities within their states and then have limited importance regionally.
Tier 5 includes oddball major tourist spots and less significant domestic cities.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 AM

636 posts, read 1,336,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post

a + if that city's prominence is rising, a - if it's decreasing, and an = if it is staying the same.

Tier 3b: Denver +, Charlotte +, San Diego =, Pittsburgh +, Detroit --, St. Louis -, Cleveland -, Phoenix +
Tier 4: San Antonio =, Cinncinati =, Kansas City +, Indianapolis +, Portland +, Austin ++, Columbus +
Tier 5: Las Vegas =, Tampa =, Orlando =, Milwaukee =, Nashville +, Baltimore -, New Orleans =

Tier 3a and 3b have regional importance domestically, with limited impact globally.
Tier 4 are important cities within their states and then have limited importance regionally.
Tier 5 includes oddball major tourist spots and less significant domestic cities.
Miami is definitely rising in prominence. I don't have any resources to post of the top of my head but it's emerging as a cornerstone of America.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,437,133 times
Quote:

2B: Philly, Boston, Houston
2C: Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami

3A: Twin Cities, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Phoenix
3B: Portland, Tampa/St. Pete, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
3C: Austin, Sacramento, Cincinnati, Orlando, KCMO, Charlotte

4A: Las Vegas, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Honolulu, Columbus
4B: Research Triangle, Oklahoma City, Louisville, Virginia Beach, Milwaukee, SLC
4C: Buffalo, Tuscon, Albuquerque, Omaha

I know I'm missing a ton the further below Tier 3A I go...fix/fill in as you wish.
How'd you decide which cities were A's & B's ?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM

300 posts, read 444,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post

I think this is a pretty good list.

I might put LA in its own tier, since it's basically twice the size and has a much larger economy than Chicago, DC and SF.

I may also move Detroit up one tier. It has a bigger population than both Seattle and MSP, and its economy is bigger than MSP (though smaller than Seattle).

Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM

229 posts, read 387,464 times
Tier 1
New York
L.A
Chicago
DC

Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 PM

363 posts, read 561,309 times
Why do people keep putting LA with NYC. They may be similar in some ways(population and global recognition since they are the two largest cities in the u.s., and portrayed the most in media)but overall thats it. also, why do people keep putting LA ahead of Chicago? Though they have a big difference in population, Chicago is ranked with top cities like Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, etc. in the rankings of the top financial centers of the world(LA was not even listed). Also, Chicago is ranked right next to LA in the list for the top ten global cities. However LA does make up for this by having a larger population, GPD, and for being known worldwide in the media.

This being said, I would without a doubt put them together. Also dc should be ranked with these cities for obvious reasons.

Other than that, nice responses guys.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,174,017 times
tier 1 is new york

Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM

655 posts, read 467,271 times
Quote:

2B: Philly, Boston, Houston
2C: Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami

3A: Twin Cities, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Phoenix
3B: Portland, Tampa/St. Pete, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
3C: Austin, Sacramento, Cincinnati, Orlando, KCMO, Charlotte

4A: Las Vegas, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Honolulu, Columbus
4B: Research Triangle, Oklahoma City, Louisville, Virginia Beach, Milwaukee, SLC
4C: Buffalo, Tuscon, Albuquerque, Omaha

I know I'm missing a ton the further below Tier 3A I go...fix/fill in as you wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
How'd you decide which cities were A's & B's ?
Well these things are subjective in nature, so while I tried to remove personal bias I didn't have super objective criteria. In my mind I weighted population and GMP heavily, then factored in urbanity, economy, (inter)national reputation. Weather I under-weighted because that's filled with personal bias.

I think NYC and LA need no explanation. 2A exists because of Chicago's urbanity and financial strength, the Bay's tech and livability strength, and DMV because of the political role it plays.

I almost stopped 2B after Boston/Philly but I think Houston belongs there. Miami is solidly 2C whereas Dallas and Atlanta are reaching for 2B and Detroit is fighting to stay 2C.

3A is pretty well segregated by GMP with the others, although I feel Seattle can reach 2C in a decade.
3B and 3C were tough in places. I feel Tampa and Charlotte can easily be switched. Portland is solid at this level but will move up slow, and St. Louis and Pittsburgh seem to be shaking off rust belt weariness.

4A cities were mid size metros with a strength like tourism/entertainment or recognition beyond a regional level. I could see Oklahoma City being 4A instead of B, although all the 4B's I listed are steady or improving. I also know I left out metros like San Antonia, Memphis, Nashville, Jax so my bad citizens of those cities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City