Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL seriously? Aren't you from Chicago or am I mistaken?

It's a huge music festival (rock (alternative, psychadelic, and hard rock usually), hip-hop/rap, and electronica) that has existed since the early 90s. Up until 2005 it was a tour (like Warped Tour for example) but since 2005 it's been at Grant Park in Chicago. 2011 they expanded to Chile and Brazil and this year to Israel (though it was cancelled). It was started by Perry Ferrel of Jane's Addiction.

Last year the main one in Chicago drew 270,000 people. I have met people from all over the world who come to Chicago for it. It's 3 days and there's 8 stages and usually considered one of the top 10 or 15 music festivals in the world.

Some of the bands that have played it since 2005 just in Chicago include:

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Lady Gaga, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Kanye West, Atmosphere, Cypress Hill, Nas, Daft Punk, Black Sabbath, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, Muse, Jane's Addiction, Deftones, Thievery Corporation, Iggy Pop, Sonic Youth, The Flaiming Lips, Florence + The Machine, The Black Keys, Lou Reed, Billy Idol, Weezer, The Verve Pipe, Liz Phair, Pixies, Gnarls Barkley, The Shins, Wilco, Blues Traveler, Modest Mouse, Amy Winehouse, Snow Patrol, Erykah Badu, The Cars, Ween, The Wailers (i.e. Bob Marley's former band), Patti Smith, Lupe Fiasco, Coheed and Cambria, Deadmau5, Skrillex, MSTRKRFT, Afrojack, Justice, Sigur Ros, Jack White

and many, many more. Then this year they'll be adding such ones like Nine Inch Nails, The Cure, New Order, Steve Aoki, Steve Angello, Ellie Goulding, Thievery Corporation, etc.
No, I'm not but go there frequently. Some people may think I'm from there because I show an interest in my favorite largest city. I'm a traveling truck driver home based in Indy. It's strange though because my job requires me to travel very frequently like for example one day in Omaha and NY the next. Indy, Chicago and Detroit all the same day (repeat..repeat) I get time off to personally tour cities and other nice rural get aways from time to time. Frankly, I'm getting tired of traveling but I'm doing it for the money so I can buy me a town home with cash. The days of paying rent or mortgage are over for me. The one great thing this job has given me is a more complete geographical perspective in different areas of the country that I don't even look at a map much anymore let alone a GPS. Wikipedia only tells me so much but seeing the culture in person in each city is much different and gives me a better understanding and appreciation for what they are. I don't know everything though as I am always learning. That's why I come here to look at another local's perspective. What I put out there is based on my experience. The first time I been to Chicago was 1984.

I need to take some time off to see some of these groups. When is the festival? I also would like to go to Detroit's Electronica festival as well. I wonder if Chicago has a House festival since that's where the genre originated. I grew up with this stuff. I use to collect records back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
LOL..you and my Trinidadian friend would get along just fine
White Bajans and Trinis get it in too. Crop Over season actually starts around now and will last until the first week of August. The whole island will be "in ah frenzy" for two whole months.

Crop Over 2011 - Harbour Lights - Best Mud Party Ever - YouTube

Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
By a quick estimate in about 18 years. Maybe 2031....

No, this would mean LA simply had the highest metro population, not the most urban.
For the CSA to get to 20 million? Why would you count the CSA since it makes so little sense? The MSA is at about 13 million now and that population figure makes a lot more sense.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
By a quick estimate in about 18 years. Maybe 2031....
By that time the Purple Line will run from DTLA down Wilshire to Westwood, connecting DTLA, Koreatown, Miracle Mile, Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood / UCLA and the VA Hospital.

The Regional Connector will have been completed for a decade, adding 3 more LRT subway stops in DTLA and creating a North-South and a East-West rail line from what was the Blue, Expo and Gold Lines (meaning one-seat rides from Pasadena to Long Beach and Santa Monica to East LA via Union Station). These two lines will be in competition for the busiest LRT line in the nation (as the Blue Line currently has that title). What was once the Gold Line Foothill Branch will have been extended to Azusa, while the Eastside Extension will continue on to either Whittier or El Monte.

The Crenshaw Line will have been completed for a decade, running from either Wilshire or the Expo Line (depending on when the extension comes) down to the South Bay - connecting to LAX's People Mover at Century and Aviation.

Add in the East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor Project, West Santa Ana Transit Corridor, South Bay Green Line Extension - and by that time Los Angeles may be considered one of the better transit cities in the nation. These are all funded BTW, and barring a complete disaster are pretty much guaranteed to be built. And I doubt it will reach 20 million by 2031 - and every year you tack on will add on a new transit improvement. There are at least a dozen other high-demand projects that will come about from a Measure R Part Deux.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You really aren't that familiar with the other cities are you? I grew up going to LA every year of my life until maybe 4 years ago and now I live in downtown Chicago. It is in no way more walkable than Toronto or Chicago. Now, it is more walkable than people might think, but honestly anybody familiar with the three cities knows that LA is the least walkable out of the bunch.
Yea, generally agreed on this. LA has a lot of smaller walkable areas that aren't that well-connected. The larger parts of walkable that are connected in and near downtown and out to the Westside have vastly improved in the last two decades and have really reached a sort of tipping point where many more people are aware of it and have made living in such areas desirable (and steadily pricier) in the last several years. Not on Chicago's level, but just about edging into the same ballpark.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I need to take some time off to see some of these groups. When is the festival? I also would like to go to Detroit's Electronica festival as well. I wonder if Chicago has a House festival since that's where the genre originated. I grew up with this stuff. I use to collect records back in the day.
Lollapalooza is in the first week/weekend of August...August 2-4 this year. I've heard Detroit's is awesome.

Chicago has two 100% electronica festivals. One of which is Spring Awakening which is held at Soldier Field (Spring Awakening Music Festival 2013) and the other is Wavefront Music Festival which is at Montrose Beach (Wavefront Music Festival 2013). Then there is Northcoast which is at least 50% electronica (North Coast Music Festival). This weekend is EDC in Joliet as well....

Lollapalooza also has a giant electronica section. Here is a video from the "before" party and then the actual event show

Skrillex

Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
By that time the Purple Line will run from DTLA down Wilshire to Westwood, connecting DTLA, Koreatown, Miracle Mile, Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood / UCLA and the VA Hospital.

The Regional Connector will have been completed for a decade, adding 3 more LRT subway stops in DTLA and creating a North-South and a East-West rail line from what was the Blue, Expo and Gold Lines (meaning one-seat rides from Pasadena to Long Beach and Santa Monica to East LA via Union Station). These two lines will be in competition for the busiest LRT line in the nation (as the Blue Line currently has that title). What was once the Gold Line Foothill Branch will have been extended to Azusa, while the Eastside Extension will continue on to either Whittier or El Monte.

The Crenshaw Line will have been completed for a decade, running from either Wilshire or the Expo Line (depending on when the extension comes) down to the South Bay - connecting to LAX's People Mover at Century and Aviation.

Add in the East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor Project, West Santa Ana Transit Corridor, South Bay Green Line Extension - and by that time Los Angeles may be considered one of the better transit cities in the nation. These are all funded BTW, and barring a complete disaster are pretty much guaranteed to be built. And I doubt it will reach 20 million by 2031 - and every year you tack on will add on a new transit improvement. There are at least a dozen other high-demand projects that will come about from a Measure R Part Deux.
There's also possible Metrolink commuter rail expansions.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
You really aren't that familiar with the other cities are you? I grew up going to LA every year of my life until maybe 4 years ago and now I live in downtown Chicago. It is in no way more walkable than Toronto or Chicago. Now, it is more walkable than people might think, but honestly anybody familiar with the three cities knows that LA is the least walkable out of the bunch.
I'm actually pretty familiar. But what I'm trying to say is no matter what neighborhood you're in in LA you can walk to neighborhood conveniences. No matter if you're in Leimert Park, Koreatown, Brentwood, Hollywood, Melrose Hill, East LA, you are always within walking distance from stuff. As I sit here in west LA I can walk to the library, the post office, Vons, the movies, restaurants, the bus stop, a park, 3 delis, a variety of restaurants, ice cream, a laundry mat, 4 cleaners and so on. Even in south LA there's plenty. In parts of Chicago I didn't see like a grocery store, especially on the south side.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, generally agreed on this. LA has a lot of smaller walkable areas that aren't that well-connected. The larger parts of walkable that are connected in and near downtown and out to the Westside have vastly improved in the last two decades and have really reached a sort of tipping point where many more people are aware of it and have made living in such areas desirable (and steadily pricier) in the last several years. Not on Chicago's level, but just about edging into the same ballpark.
Another words, the area around Dodger Stadium can become a Wrigleyville.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I'm actually pretty familiar. But what I'm trying to say is no matter what neighborhood you're in in LA you can walk to neighborhood conveniences. No matter if you're in Leimert Park, Koreatown, Brentwood, Hollywood, Melrose Hill, East LA, you are always within walking distance from stuff. As I sit here in west LA I can walk to the library, the post office, Vons, the movies, restaurants, the bus stop, a park, 3 delis, a variety of restaurants, ice cream, a laundry mat, 4 cleaners and so on. Even in south LA there's plenty. In parts of Chicago I didn't see like a grocery store, especially on the south side.
Yea, in large parts of Los Angeles you can do that, but then there are large parts in the San Fernando Valley and South Central where getting to neighborhood conveniences sort of blows and the variety of conveniences aren't very good at all. However, Los Angeles is a huge city in area, so the part that is as you say is pretty decent sized area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City