Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto is Canada's most visited city by International tourists - by far actually.

Top 100 Cities Destination Ranking - Analyst Insight from Euromonitor International
For Americans though? I can believe it, but it strikes me as odd. The international tourist overall thing makes a lot of sense given the huge immigrant population. You want to see your relatives, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
This link has it all - Toronto has over 8 million pax associated with Transborder (Canada/US) traffic... Vancouver second with over 4 million..

List of the busiest airports in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toronto easily is number 1 - remember as well... Niagara Falls is only 90mins away from Toronto .. so many will double dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For Americans though? I can believe it, but it strikes me as odd. The international tourist overall thing makes a lot of sense given the huge immigrant population. You want to see your relatives, right?

Last edited by fusion2; 06-14-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I'm not saying LA is 100% suburban. I will give LA benefit of the doubt as there are some areas I find walkable.

like these
Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps
Some LA pics from me.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
^ Nice pics. The pics look pretty residential with the exception of the last pic. They remind me of areas of the Gold Coast in Chicago that have a lot of condos/apartments but not a lot of commercial, retail, etc.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This link has it all - Toronto has over 8 million pax associated with Transborder (Canada/US) traffic... Vancouver second with over 4 million..

List of the busiest airports in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toronto easily is number 1 - remember as well... Niagara Falls is only 90mins away from Toronto .. so many will double dip
Ah, so I am way out of the norm here.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Nice pics. The pics look pretty residential with the exception of the last pic. They remind me of areas of the Gold Coast in Chicago that have a lot of condos/apartments but not a lot of commercial, retail, etc.
Actually every pic is a short block or two from major commercial corridors. The next to the last pic is in dt LA so that is surrounded by lots.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Actually every pic is a short block or two from major commercial corridors. The next to the last pic is in dt LA so that is surrounded by lots.
Yeah, not what I was saying though. I was just commenting on the immediate area. The areas I referenced in the Gold Coast are 2 minutes from retail/commercial (with some in the immediate area anyway) but that wasn't the point. Just a general comment on the pic itself, but good to know.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-15-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Some LA pics from me.
Thanks for posting these. Interesting that you showed the historic buildings in the 5th and 6th photos. My favorite building in LA happens to be the historic Bradbury built in 1893. I remember seeing it for the first in the classic Blade Runner movie. One of these days I will have to see it in person. The wrought iron was supposedly cast in France then displayed at the Chicago World's Fair before it was moved to LA to be built into the Bradbury during the construction.

Bradbury: Bradbury Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Photo source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...C_ironwork.jpg

Photo source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1383u_crop.jpg

Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM

^ Very cool. Reminds me a little of the Hotel Burnham here.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
I think he means not a lot of ground-floor retail. A lot of the uses in LA are pretty separate. Luckily that is changing along those aforementioned commercial corridors, where lots of mixed-use is starting to go up.

But yeah, it doesn't affect the walkability all that much, as your amenities are usually a 5 minute walk in all four directions to a commercial corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City