U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 PM

409 posts, read 1,658,304 times

Advertisements

You'll find the people in Portland much more narrow-minded and myopic. The example above of claiming Portland to be the "2nd best bike city in the world behind Amsterdam" is just too ignorant. For the US, Portland is a good biking city. Many things in Portland are very good. Few of those things are "great."

For hospital jobs there is OHSU in Portland, which is not as big as UW or Swedish Medical in Seattle but not insignificant at all.

Economically speaking there is really no argument. Seattle is a major city and becoming more so each year. There are far more large companies, far more prosperity and far more opportunities in Seattle.

Portland is better if you want to kick back and live a more leisurely life. If you want to build a career and be in a truly urban place Seattle is where to go without question.

Naturally speaking I'd agree that Seattle is much more scenic. Portland is a nice city to look at with an impressive setting but Seattle has one of the great natural settings in the world.

There are beaches in the city of Seattle, especially along the Sound, which is essentially an inlet of the Pacific Ocean. Portland is far inland and sits on a river, one that isn't especially well-integrated into the city although they are working hard on that.

Portland has a more extensive light-rail system and getting around is rather easy. Seattle has just opened it's first light rail but has major expansions already underway and a very solid bus system. The region has commited to rail transit and in addition to the new light rail line there is a commuter rail that goes north and south of the city.

I'd say the most important measure will be where are you coming from. Portland will be a major down-shift if you're coming from a big urban location such as New York, Chicago, LA or San Francisco. If you're from a smaller place then Portland will be more familiar. In terms of size it is much more similar to Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Portland is definitely cheaper but that is a reflection of the economy. It is very possible to earn good money in Portland and if you can get a good job there you can really have the city at your doorstep. You can't move there without a job, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:43 PM

2,316 posts, read 6,699,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
You'll find the people in Portland much more narrow-minded and myopic. The example above of claiming Portland to be the "2nd best bike city in the world behind Amsterdam" is just too ignorant. For the US, Portland is a good biking city. Many things in Portland are very good. Few of those things are "great."

For hospital jobs there is OHSU in Portland, which is not as big as UW or Swedish Medical in Seattle but not insignificant at all.

Economically speaking there is really no argument. Seattle is a major city and becoming more so each year. There are far more large companies, far more prosperity and far more opportunities in Seattle.

Portland is better if you want to kick back and live a more leisurely life. If you want to build a career and be in a truly urban place Seattle is where to go without question.

Naturally speaking I'd agree that Seattle is much more scenic. Portland is a nice city to look at with an impressive setting but Seattle has one of the great natural settings in the world.

There are beaches in the city of Seattle, especially along the Sound, which is essentially an inlet of the Pacific Ocean. Portland is far inland and sits on a river, one that isn't especially well-integrated into the city although they are working hard on that.

Portland has a more extensive light-rail system and getting around is rather easy. Seattle has just opened it's first light rail but has major expansions already underway and a very solid bus system. The region has commited to rail transit and in addition to the new light rail line there is a commuter rail that goes north and south of the city.

I'd say the most important measure will be where are you coming from. Portland will be a major down-shift if you're coming from a big urban location such as New York, Chicago, LA or San Francisco. If you're from a smaller place then Portland will be more familiar. In terms of size it is much more similar to Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Portland is definitely cheaper but that is a reflection of the economy. It is very possible to earn good money in Portland and if you can get a good job there you can really have the city at your doorstep. You can't move there without a job, though.
I have to agree with all of this except for the bold portion. Portlanders aren't necessarily more narrow-minded than anyone else, but they're just very proud of their city and they have good reason to be because it is one of the finest cities America has to offer. Does it have its drawbacks? It's a place that exists in reality, so yes, of course it isn't perfect.

Seattle and Portland are just as similar as they are different, if that makes sense. They're both among America's finest.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,445,938 times
Well said.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 AM

187 posts, read 505,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeimuzu00 View Post
if you are career oriented and are into computers and **** go to seattle, but if you just wanna live your life happily,, move here! trust me. youll love it.
Yeah, you know, if all you want to do is make money and have a career, then move to Seattle by all means. Otherwise you can live your dream in Portland while working as a barista or at a vintage clothing shop.

Wow. Sounds really awesome. Like when I was in college working the late-night shift at the gas station. Sweet. Can't wait.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM

162 posts, read 451,936 times
Compared to most cities in the US, Portland and Seattle are both solid. Sure, Seattle has some advantages over Portland, some significant some not so much and vice versa. However, if you are talking in terms of scenery and good quality of life, I believe both cities rank among the best.

I have lived in both and would easily live in one of the two cities before 95% of the other cities out there.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM

2,225 posts, read 4,408,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeimuzu00 View Post
Portland is also the bicycle capital of the US and second in the world behind amsterdam, this means... you dont need a car in Portland.
Sorry, but my town of Davis, CA is the ONLY U.S. city awarded Platinum-level status by the American League of Bicyclists. Every time I visit my friends in Portland, I'm amused that they think Portland is such an unusually good place to bike. It's good, but when I was considering moving there, one of the things I DIDN'T like about it was how poor the biking situation is compared to where I live now.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 AM

162 posts, read 451,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
Sorry, but my town of Davis, CA is the ONLY U.S. city awarded Platinum-level status by the American League of Bicyclists. Every time I visit my friends in Portland, I'm amused that they think Portland is such an unusually good place to bike. It's good, but when I was considering moving there, one of the things I DIDN'T like about it was how poor the biking situation is compared to where I live now.
Davis is one of the few places in the U.S that can compare with Portland in this regard. If you were from any other place in the country you would be amazed how bike friendly Portland is. You dont see the bike routes, bike lanes and overall bike culture in other cities that you find in Portland. Trust me, I have lived in several major cities and Portland blows all of them away and puts them to shame by a large margin.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 AM

Compared to somewhere like Amsterdam, which does it with far more obstacles (canals, narrow roads, density, etc), Portland isn't anything to write home about in terms of bicycling.

The most remarkable thing about PDX in bike-terms is how the people who live there seem to want to be a bike city and are trying to make it so. When you get grade separated bike lanes I'll tip my hat.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:05 PM

2,316 posts, read 6,699,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
Davis is tiny, compared to Portland. So it makes sense that it's possibly more bike-friendly. Eugene and Corvallis, OR are more bike-friendly than Portland simply because they're smaller towns... Hell, the town I live in now is probably more bike-friendly than Portland due to its size and it isn't awarded anything by the League of American Bicyclists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
Compared to somewhere like Amsterdam, which does it with far more obstacles (canals, narrow roads, density, etc), Portland isn't anything to write home about in terms of bicycling.

The most remarkable thing about PDX in bike-terms is how the people who live there seem to want to be a bike city and are trying to make it so. When you get grade separated bike lanes I'll tip my hat.
Well, compared to, oh, say... 99% of American cities it's... Great. When the rest of the US catches up to Portland then I'll tip MY hat.

But back to Seattle... It got awarded gold. How do Seattleites feel about that? Pretty good representation of the actual bike-friendliness in the city or not?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 PM

See, if you're the type of person who wants to get into pissing-matches about who won which gold or silver award from some inconsequential bicycling group, You're Gonna Love People in Portland. If you're annoyed by this behavior, Seattle will be more your speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City