Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times

Advertisements

And that was a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwroots View Post
It has been over 100 degrees in Portland for the past three days! Caliente!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:25 PM

146 posts, read 641,408 times
I live in Portland but like the fact that Seattle has alot more pine trees and bushes that stay green year around. I also find the grass to stay green longer into the winter and in the dry summer in Seattle. I think Seattle is more scenic also.

On the negative side I think the Seattle Metro Area has got to large. It goes for 50 miles north to South. From just north of Olympia to 20 miles North of Seattle the view from I-5 is sprawl. The population of the Seattle Metro area has doubled in the last 20 years.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM

24 posts, read 84,036 times
What Dufferz said. Portland has more of a laid-back feel to it as well however and people are noticeably friendlier. Seattlites are friendly, but not the most extroverted folks in the world. It really caught be off guard one time when I was visiting someone in Portland a few years ago, I was walking down Burnside (SE portland) one morning to get coffee and everyone I passed on the sidewalk smiled and said "hello". That's just not something that happens much here.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
It's decidedly NOT the same though, as going to the vineyards. And, the best vineyards are still east of Yakima. Think Prosser and Walla Walla. Not to mention that driving to Yakima in the winter can be a bit, um, intimidating.
Thank you.

Wineries in Woodinville?? That's like going to Disneyland and saying you saw the Matterhorn!!

The real thing is east of the divide.

The drive is only intimidating if your a wimp.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:33 AM

11 posts, read 27,795 times
Ok so ive lived in Portland for 3 years and have only been to seattle a few times. but from what i know and hear i can say this... first of all.. depending on the kind of things your interested in. Portland is very outdoorsy. Its very laid back... this city is built for you to be able to work a part time job wherever and still go out and live your life. People here are very friendly and chill. Portland is also the bicycle capital of the US and second in the world behind amsterdam, this means... you dont need a car in Portland. i sold mine for a bicycle! so yes it is odd that you cannot pump your own gas but it provides jobs for people. Portland's culture is huge..New York times rated Portland as Mini New York city but of course without the fast pace lifestyle of new york. Portland is a very independent city, most of the awesome shops and restaurants here are locally owned and are not anywhere else in the world. Portland is huge about being green and supporting local shops and such. Powells bookstore in the pearl district is the largest used and new bookstore in the world... you will spend hours there.. its amazing! also Portland is the beer capital of the world.. 28 breweries in the city. fantastic beers. the saturday market is every saturday and sunday and has tons of vendors and food stands, street music. this is truly a unique city and i think its totally different from Seattle in alot of ways. the fashion is huge here. the music is huge, the art. forest park is the biggest park in any metropolitan city in the world. 5000 acres. there are a couple nude beaches here. one on sauvie island, ive never been there but if your into it thats cool. just 20 minutes down I84 is multnomah falls, around the height of the space needle.. the columbia river gorge is phenomenal!! there are thousands of hiking trails, more waterfalls then anywhere in the US. a must see. the oregon coast and ecola state park just an hour from portland is breathtaking! Mt hood about an hour and a half from portland is the so incredible. its not quite as big as ranier but it has americas one and only all year round ski and snowboarding. the cost of living here is cheaper,, there is no sales tax either. the japanese gardens are right near my apartment, its the most legit japanese garden outside japan. the rose test garden is the official international rose graden.. its huge. most people here are not huge into sports, such as football, basketball. we got the blazers but i dont even know anything about it. it rains but not as much as seattle. the desert is a couple hours out. there are a bunch of art colleges. seattle seems more like a more touristy city. its definitely beautiful up there. i love visiting. its more technical. more computer type jobs if thats what your into. microsoft headquarters is there. bill gates lives there.. nintendo america headquarters is there. there is the puget sound the market where they throw fish.. probably have some amazing seafood resturants up there. seattle is the main import city from all of Asia. boeing headquarters is there. along with an awesome air museum. it really depends on who you are. Seattle is more for people career oriented rather than portland,, portland is more about living life, rather than making a ton of money. thats how i see it at least. ive been to all of the US and Portland is.... its my Home. and i feel good saying it. the more you learn about portland the more you wanna live here. i have never lived in a place that i loved so much... and hahah i dont even have a job right now. it seems more peaceful here. you always see people reading books on their porches in southeast or in a park, or enjoying a nice bicycle ride, when it rains here tooo... nobody cares. at least thats what i noticed. i LOVE the rain here. nobody carries umbrellas either. maybe its like that in seattle but im not sure. theres alot of people into yoga and veganism too. im not a vegan but yoga is peaceful. omg ive said to much on here. ok so conclusion... if you are career oriented and are into computers and **** go to seattle, but if you just wanna live your life happily,, move here! trust me. youll love it.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Wow, that was kinda hard to read. But anyway, I think I understand your point. Portland is, indeed more laid-back than Seattle. No question. However, from a business perspective, Seattle is the place to be. The economy is better, the growth is faster, and the general pace is quicker. That isn't to say that Portland is not a better place to live...for many, it indeed is.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeimuzu00 View Post
Ok so ive lived in Portland for 3 years and have only been to seattle a few times. but from what i know and hear i can say this... first of all.. depending on the kind of things your interested in. Portland is very outdoorsy. Its very laid back... this city is built for you to be able to work a part time job wherever and still go out and live your life. People here are very friendly and chill. Portland is also the bicycle capital of the US and second in the world behind amsterdam, this means... you dont need a car in Portland. i sold mine for a bicycle! so yes it is odd that you cannot pump your own gas but it provides jobs for people. Portland's culture is huge..New York times rated Portland as Mini New York city but of course without the fast pace lifestyle of new york. Portland is a very independent city, most of the awesome shops and restaurants here are locally owned and are not anywhere else in the world. Portland is huge about being green and supporting local shops and such. Powells bookstore in the pearl district is the largest used and new bookstore in the world... you will spend hours there.. its amazing! also Portland is the beer capital of the world.. 28 breweries in the city. fantastic beers. the saturday market is every saturday and sunday and has tons of vendors and food stands, street music. this is truly a unique city and i think its totally different from Seattle in alot of ways. the fashion is huge here. the music is huge, the art. forest park is the biggest park in any metropolitan city in the world. 5000 acres. there are a couple nude beaches here. one on sauvie island, ive never been there but if your into it thats cool. just 20 minutes down I84 is multnomah falls, around the height of the space needle.. the columbia river gorge is phenomenal!! there are thousands of hiking trails, more waterfalls then anywhere in the US. a must see. the oregon coast and ecola state park just an hour from portland is breathtaking! Mt hood about an hour and a half from portland is the so incredible. its not quite as big as ranier but it has americas one and only all year round ski and snowboarding. the cost of living here is cheaper,, there is no sales tax either. the japanese gardens are right near my apartment, its the most legit japanese garden outside japan. the rose test garden is the official international rose graden.. its huge. most people here are not huge into sports, such as football, basketball. we got the blazers but i dont even know anything about it. it rains but not as much as seattle. the desert is a couple hours out. there are a bunch of art colleges. seattle seems more like a more touristy city. its definitely beautiful up there. i love visiting. its more technical. more computer type jobs if thats what your into. microsoft headquarters is there. bill gates lives there.. nintendo america headquarters is there. there is the puget sound the market where they throw fish.. probably have some amazing seafood resturants up there. seattle is the main import city from all of Asia. boeing headquarters is there. along with an awesome air museum. it really depends on who you are. Seattle is more for people career oriented rather than portland,, portland is more about living life, rather than making a ton of money. thats how i see it at least. ive been to all of the US and Portland is.... its my Home. and i feel good saying it. the more you learn about portland the more you wanna live here. i have never lived in a place that i loved so much... and hahah i dont even have a job right now. it seems more peaceful here. you always see people reading books on their porches in southeast or in a park, or enjoying a nice bicycle ride, when it rains here tooo... nobody cares. at least thats what i noticed. i LOVE the rain here. nobody carries umbrellas either. maybe its like that in seattle but im not sure. theres alot of people into yoga and veganism too. im not a vegan but yoga is peaceful. omg ive said to much on here. ok so conclusion... if you are career oriented and are into computers and **** go to seattle, but if you just wanna live your life happily,, move here! trust me. youll love it.
Thats such a smug and condescending dismissal of Seattle..As if having a career and living in a faster paced city precludes one from living life and enjoying recreation.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 AM

36 posts, read 69,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Thats such a smug and condescending dismissal of Seattle..As if having a career and living in a faster paced city precludes one from living life and enjoying recreation.

Um, don't see anything smug/condescending with that post. Just a person who is enthusiastic about living in Portland.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM

698 posts, read 1,508,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeimuzu00 View Post
People here are very friendly and chill. Portland is also the bicycle capital of the US and second in the world behind amsterdam,
While Amsterdam has a huge bicycling population it actually lags far behind Copenhagen, Denmark. Most of the people riding bikes in Amsterdam are tourists while Copenhagen a good 80% of the population uses a bike to get around. Plus Copenhagen has the most extensive bike infrastructure in the world with enormous bike lanes like that are almost wider then the actual roads for cars. I just wanted to clear that up.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentsliverofthemoon View Post
Um, don't see anything smug/condescending with that post. Just a person who is enthusiastic about living in Portland.
"if you are career oriented and are into computers and **** go to seattle, but if you just wanna live your life happily,, move here! trust me. youll love it."

Tell me that doesn't sound condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City