Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times

Advertisements

I find it amazing that a Question that could be answered via simple Google Searches, created 4 pages of conversation.

Only on this forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Who cares? Fact is, Boston has a bad reputation (real or imagined) throughout black America as a hostile place toward blacks. Boston may have the largest black population, but Denver & Seattle do not have such reputations.
To be hostile towards a group, that group must first exist there. Which is why Seattle and Denvr are never called racist.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:43 PM

126 posts, read 133,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I find it amazing that a Question that could be answered via simple Google Searches, created 4 pages of conversation.

Only on this forum...
exactly
boston, 2 easy

Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 PM

130 posts, read 226,203 times
Default Seattle is NOT diverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Seattle is Diverse with a strong Asian and Hispanic population. Diversity goes further then just black and white
Sorry to break it to u, but Seattle is one of the least diverse, and whitest cities in America. 70% white is not diverse ...not even close. Seattle is almost as white as Wichita, Kansas lol.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 PM

130 posts, read 226,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Denver and Seattle are comparable in terms of Black population, with Denver at 10.2% and Seattle at 8.6%.

Overall, Seattle is more diverse than people think in that a lot of ethnic groups are represented and a lot of languages are spoken. In fact, Seattle has the most diverse zip code in the Country: Seattle's 98118 zip code the most diverse in the country | KING5.com Seattle
Dude that info is from 13 years ago ...That zip code isn't even on the list anymore. I'm from Florin, in Sacramento which is the 4th most diverse place in the U.S. according to the 2010 census. Here are the updated stats on places and cities:
http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

and on zip codes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/trulia/2...ty-in-america/

Last edited by vplegend; 05-25-2013 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Boston.

Nevermind the fact that the city is 23% African American non Hispanic and 27% Black when including Latinos...

There also is a long history of Famous African Americans from the area:

Donna Summer-Bobby Brown-New Edition-Benzino-Louis Farrakhan-Malcolm X-Nerlens Noel-Michael Beach-Marion 'Pooch' Hall-Shar Jackson-Michael Carter Williams-Ed OG-Deval Patrick-Noel Gourdine
and so many more, I was just trying to name some recent ones

Really its just not even at all by any way close unless youre looving at the MSA. Boston ~7% black, Denver ~5% black, Seattle ~4% black. But in Metro Boston, (not Greater Boston) the inner core of Boston, including Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Boston, Revere, Chelsea, Milton, Malden, Somerville, Everett, Lynn (furthest north), Melrose, Saugus, Stoughton, Canton, Randolph, Avon (furthest South) Dedham, Westwood, Norwood, Quincy, etc. You're probably looking at a healthy 10-12%+ black population in an area of about 2 million people. All those places are easily accessible to Boston in 20 minutes driving, without having to get on a a major highway for more than an exit or two. Route 1a North and Route 28 to the south.

20 miles south of Boston is Brockton MA which has a high school of 4,000+ kids and its is 55-60% African American. Also when I went to the Renaissance School in Boston, an elementary school then located downtown, we had ~1,500 students of which 85% were black.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, I'm sure it does and both groups make up a large portion of the Black population in the Boston area. Quite a few Jamaicans, Bajans and even those with roots in the Canadian Maritimes.
What about Brazilians, or in the case of this thread, Afro-Brazilians?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston.

Nevermind the fact that the city is 23% African American non Hispanic and 27% Black when including Latinos...

There also is a long history of Famous African Americans from the area:

Donna Summer-Bobby Brown-New Edition-Benzino-Louis Farrakhan-Malcolm X-Nerlens Noel-Michael Beach-Marion 'Pooch' Hall-Shar Jackson-Michael Carter Williams-Ed OG-Deval Patrick-Noel Gourdine
and so many more, I was just trying to name some recent ones

Really its just not even at all by any way close unless youre looving at the MSA. Boston ~7% black, Denver ~5% black, Seattle ~4% black. But in Metro Boston, (not Greater Boston) the inner core of Boston, including Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Boston, Revere, Chelsea, Milton, Malden, Somerville, Everett, Lynn (furthest north), Melrose, Saugus, Stoughton, Canton, Randolph, Avon (furthest South) Dedham, Westwood, Norwood, Quincy, etc. You're probably looking at a healthy 10-12%+ black population in an area of about 2 million people. All those places are easily accessible to Boston in 20 minutes driving, without having to get on a a major highway for more than an exit or two. Route 1a North and Route 28 to the south.

20 miles south of Boston is Brockton MA which has a high school of 4,000+ kids and its is 55-60% African American. Also when I went to the Renaissance School in Boston, an elementary school then located downtown, we had ~1,500 students of which 85% were black.
Guru from Gangstarr

Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,449 times
"Diversity" is not just black and white. Denver comes rather close to the national average, though the AA/ black population has decreased, in 20 years it's still more representative then one might think at first glance.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Interestingly all three of them have a somewhat muted black cultural presence and especially compared to their neighbors (Oakland, LA, New York, Philly, etc). That being said, Boston definitely has a bigger black presence than Seattle. I've never been to Denver so I don't know from experience but I'm assuming Boston probably has the bigger black presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City