Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Toronto, which is better?
Chicago 116 56.04%
Toronto 91 43.96%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 AM

22 posts, read 21,324 times

Advertisements

I used to think Toronto was better, before I lived in Chicago. I visited recently and with all the new development, I feel Toronto is lacking character and losing its identity. The neighborhoods also are not planned as well as the (North Side) neighborhoods in Chicago. Toronto's subways are much faster, cleaner, and spacious than Chicago's, but do not cover as much of the city and the streetcars leave a lot to be desired. Chicago is also much more affordable than Toronto. The buildings in Toronto are not as well kept as the buildings in Chicago and the architecture is lacking versus Chicago not only in the downtown areas, but also in the neighborhoods. Toronto lacks green spaces downtown, which does not make much sense to me. It seems like greedy developers took over Toronto and turned it into a concrete jungle so they could make $1800 a month off a 500 SQF condo with cheap construction you would find on new developments for students in college towns.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM

409 posts, read 587,423 times
Gotta go with Chicago on this one. Bigger, richer, more urban, more culture, more stuff to do.

Toronto is coming up fast, though. Maybe in 20-30 years they will be even, or one could make a stronger argument for Toronto slightly ahead.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM

400 posts, read 422,289 times
Born torontonian here.

Chicago by a country miiile....god, not even close. I don't know where to start in listing the ways that Chicago (probably my favorite city in NA) utterly destroys this overhyped assemblage of insipid architecture that people claim has gelled into a real city. Toronto's a joke IMO.

I love....

The food and restaurants in Chicago!!!! The music venues. The shopping (variety, price wasn't as good as I had expected), the terrific attention paid to the streetscape( ie, the relationship of the width of the streets to heights of the buildings- great in NYC too), the overall quality of the architecture (both old and new), and of course that phenomenal waterfront. It's a shame that weather weren't a little better, but I'm used to blustery cold winds. Man, I love chicago.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Born torontonian here.

Chicago by a country miiile....god, not even close. I don't know where to start in listing the ways that Chicago (probably my favorite city in NA) utterly destroys this overhyped assemblage of insipid architecture that people claim has gelled into a real city. Toronto's a joke IMO.

I love....

The food and restaurants in Chicago!!!! The music venues. The shopping (variety, price wasn't as good as I had expected), the terrific attention paid to the streetscape( ie, the relationship of the width of the streets to heights of the buildings- great in NYC too), the overall quality of the architecture (both old and new), and of course that phenomenal waterfront. It's a shame that weather weren't a little better, but I'm used to blustery cold winds. Man, I love chicago.
Oh boy... looking forward to the response to this.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Oh boy... looking forward to the response to this.
Trust me, that guy is posting in the Toronto forums how hard it is to make friends in Toronto and how unfriendly Torontonians are yet he is the one going around with his jaded, depressed looking mug bringing everyone around him down with his negativity. Chicago can have him lol! Once they have him, he'll find things to criticize about the Windy city because some people are inherently unhappy.. Can't take any of the good - only the bad about a place.

Aside from that Chicago is a great city and so is Toronto... I wouldn't fault anyone for having a preference for one over the other. Each has its fair share of gems and blight. They're both wonderful for similar and different reasons. I think for most people with intimate experiences in both places, the choice wouldn't be such an easy one overall.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Gotta go with Chicago on this one. Bigger, richer, more urban, more culture, more stuff to do.
The urbanized areas of both cities are actually very similar in terms of human population density. Chicagoland is a bigger agglomeration, but it is also much more spread out and not very dense outside the comparative urbanized areas of both cities.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-26-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM

69 posts, read 152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post

Toronto is coming up fast, though. Maybe in 20-30 years they will be even, or one could make a stronger argument for Toronto slightly ahead.
Richer?

How can that be....with the sky high real estate prices in Toronto,
if you own even a shack you are practically a millionaire.
Average detached home price is close to $750,000

Old 04-27-2014, 03:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,543 times
^ Even worse (or better depending on how you look at it), the average price of a detached home in the city of Toronto was $942,066 as of two months ago.

Standard111, stating that Chicago has it over Toronto for "culture" and "things to do" is highly debatable depending on what sorts of things you are into.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
^ Even worse (or better depending on how you look at it), the average price of a detached home in the city of Toronto was $942,066 as of two months ago.

Standard111, stating that Chicago has it over Toronto for "culture" and "things to do" is highly debatable depending on what sorts of things you are into.
Value of Real Estate is making a lot of people wealthy in Toronto. This would account for the reason there are more millionaires and multimillionaires in T.O over Chicago. Chicago has a larger GDP but usually the measurement is for that inflated MSA/CSA thingy which includes Chicagoland - hardly a fair comparison with the GTA's GDP. I think Chicago has a larger GDP but when an apples to apples comparison of like populations is taken into account, it probably isn't all that different.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/files/201...h-briefing.pdf

I think in terms of things to do they both offer more than most cities in either Canada or the U.S ie Museums, Live Theatre and general attractions. They are more similar a pairing than most in so many ways. The ways they are different from the other just gives each a different flavour that is unique and welcome really - not necessarily better and it really comes down to preference.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-28-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM

409 posts, read 587,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT22 View Post
Richer?

How can that be....with the sky high real estate prices in Toronto,
if you own even a shack you are practically a millionaire.
Average detached home price is close to $750,000
Higher home prices have nothing to do with one area being richer than the other.

There are far more rich in Chicago than in Toronto, and the economic output is much bigger than in Toronto, therefore Chicago is much richer.

Also you completely fabricated the home prices by 1. only counting detached home sales (when most home sales are not detached homes) and 2. only counting sales within the city limits of Toronto.

And obviously value of real estate does not make people richer. They are no richer and no poorer, if they stay in the same market/economic system. And considering Canada is widely considered to be one of the biggest real estate bubbles on earth, with Toronto as an epicenter, Toronto would be one of the last places I would park my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City