Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Toronto, which is better?
Chicago 116 56.04%
Toronto 91 43.96%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM

59 posts, read 145,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When are you taking your vacation and do you know anyone in either city? I favor the city that has special event that I'm interested and/or a city where I know people who will be fun to visit and be willing to take me around.

I am thinking about going on vacation there, i am very interested in both cities and have been doing a lot of research on them for a while.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper579 View Post
oh ok i thought detroit was on the detroit river but thank you anyway
You're right on Detroit, it is not on Lake Erie.

Part of what makes Lake Michigan less polluted is that for Chicago, Lake Michigan flushes out into the Chicago River and then the Mississippi rather than the other way around.

I believe Lake Ontario is more polluted than Lake Michigan.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
What are you looking to do, and when? Both are great cities.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What are you looking to do, and when? Both are great cities.
Well here is a list of things i would like to do,

Chicago:Shop on the Magnificent Mile,go to the Art insititue of Chicago, go to Shedd Aquarium, and go out to the edge on the sears tower, just to name a few.

Toronto: I would like to see a blue jay game, check out the CN Tower, (i love skyscrapers) Go to young Street, and would like to see canada's wonderland.

One thing i want to do for both cities is walk on the beach at night.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,815 times
Both are great. (voted for Chicago, though I'm biased so my vote doesn't mean much)

I'd say Toronto will give you a more international feel, while Chicago will give you a more American feel.

Food-wise, I'd give it to Chicago, Shopping-wise, I'd give it to Toronto. Touristy things wont lack in either city, but one thing about Chicago that a lot of tourists miss are the neighborhoods. They might be the thing you most enjoy when you visit. Lincoln Park has great food of its own, Lakeview and Bucktown are great neighborhoods also. I'm showing around my family who's in town this week for Memorial Day weekend, and they love the neighborhoods so much. With Toronto, I can only speak as a visitor, but I'm sure there are things that tourists miss that may be underrated things of Toronto.

As I'm sure Toronto has it's share of festivals, Chicago does too in the summer. Some of them are better than others but there's usually one almost every weekend. Summer time is great in both cities.

Bottom line, you won't go wrong with either choice for a destination to visit in the summer time.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Both are great. (voted for Chicago, though I'm biased so my vote doesn't mean much)

I'd say Toronto will give you a more international feel, while Chicago will give you a more American feel.

Food-wise, I'd give it to Chicago, Shopping-wise, I'd give it to Toronto. Touristy things wont lack in either city, but one thing about Chicago that a lot of tourists miss are the neighborhoods. They might be the thing you most enjoy when you visit. Lincoln Park has great food of its own, Lakeview and Bucktown are great neighborhoods also. I'm showing around my family who's in town this week for Memorial Day weekend, and they love the neighborhoods so much. With Toronto, I can only speak as a visitor, but I'm sure there are things that tourists miss that may be underrated things of Toronto.

As I'm sure Toronto has it's share of festivals, Chicago does too in the summer. Some of them are better than others but there's usually one almost every weekend. Summer time is great in both cities.

Bottom line, you won't go wrong with either choice for a destination to visit in the summer time.
Thank you tawfiqmp, and also i have been hearing a lot of things about "gun voilence" in Chicago. Does that mean it is not safe to go? With all the gang disputes and everything, do you know which areas to avoid?

Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM

Wow, i just checked back and chicago is still winning so far 9-0 i am really shocked that no one likes toronto lol

Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you tawfiqmp, and also i have been hearing a lot of things about "gun voilence" in Chicago. Does that mean it is not safe to go? With all the gang disputes and everything, do you know which areas to avoid?
As a resident here, the whole thing is overblown, especially if you are a tourist or someone who isn't necessarily poor/at risk. Chicago is very much a tale of two cities. There's almost no good areas that are near bad areas, and the two that are semi close to shady areas, as a tourist you probably won't go to them (well maybe one, but not that bad). The good neighborhoods are a handful of miles away from the bad ones. Furthermore, most of the real violent crime is gang on gang or drug trade related. Unless you're in a gang or look like a rival gang member, or come here looking to buy Heroin and something goes wrong, your chances of being a victim goes way way down. Not to say that you couldn't, but it's not as likely. In any big city though, you should exercise general caution and awareness though.

Like most any big city with any sort of sizable crime, there are a small number of areas that carry a lot of the crime. I live in the Gold Coast, which is more or less considered part of downtown (depending on who you are), and I walk around alone at night all the time with 0 problems. I'm not a big guy - just average sized.

Chicago is in the top 4 or 5 most visited US cities and 99.999% of people who live here or have visited here have probably never, ever had a problem with any sort of crime. The chances of you walking around and running into a bad neighborhood, especially as a tourist, is about 0.00000000000000001%. You'd have to walk around for hours in the right direction before you did that.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post

I mostly agree with this, although I think the shopping in Chicago is better depending on what you want, though I don't think they are terribly different.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Wow, i just checked back and chicago is still winning so far 9-0 i am really shocked that no one likes toronto lol

Toronto is a GREAT city. Hey, if it were me, I'd visit both at different times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City