U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 AM

42 posts, read 31,946 times

Advertisements

I'm considering family life in both cities. Is there anyone out there who's spent an extended period of time in BOTH places? I'm looking for a city with less major crime than most, decent academic schooling, friendly people, laidback environment (compared to some cities!), a temperate, sunny climate and access to city life for pursuing a variety of interests and to provide future opportunities for kids. I'm considering these two cities also due to needing to fly direct to Australia (HNL and SFO both fly direct). Cost of living is not an issue, and we would only move after having secured employment.

Background info: we are a mixed family US/Aus and have spent time living in both countries. I personally have only lived in two American cities: upstate New York (survived two winters - absolutely brutal and disliked the north east people) and Kansas City (really liked KC a lot, had a great life there, but weather is EXTREME). The 'other half' likes to call the Seattle surrounds/PNW his home, but lived in a variety of places growing up. Other half is very science/nature oriented and I need to live where I can access fine arts for personal participation/attendance etc. We both enjoy the outdoors in general (OH to exercise, me to frolic with kids!) and love eating ethnic foods. I reiterate COL not a prob due to income and current COL expectations (living in Australian cities costs an arm and a leg). Currently living in a town of about 150,000 people in a tropical paradise and concerned about future for kids. Hubby also unimpressed with lack of scope in present job situation. Am I way off course with these two cities and/or is there anywhere else I should consider?? (Also wondered about Davis near Sacramento ...)

THANKS HEAPS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a city with less major crime than most, decent academic schooling, friendly people, laidback environment (compared to some cities!), a temperate, sunny climate and access to city life for pursuing a variety of interests and to provide future opportunities for kids. I'm considering these two cities also due to needing to fly direct to Australia (HNL and SFO both fly direct). Cost of living is not an issue, and we would only move after having secured employment.
Definitely San Jose. Actually the SF Peninsula from say Palo Alto up to SF might suit you even better, since you say cost of living is not an issue.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 AM

5,303 posts, read 7,632,341 times
The weather is far nicer in Hawaii. But the public schooling is bad. Hawaii is definitely more laid-back and friendly, and I'm pretty sure it gets more sunshine than the Bay Area, which gets a lot of fog at times and is cool for much of the year. Both are incredibly expensive thoughm but if COL is no issue, then I think you'd prefer Hawaii.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 AM

42 posts, read 31,946 times
Thank you, both. I'm currently living in a place which I think has fairly similar weather to Hawaii. To be honest, after only a year the constant heat is kind of doing me in. Also really concerned about schooling, which everyone says in Hawaii is just flat-out bad. Would also like to contemplate Seattle or Portland, but I think I would not survive the grey, rainy climate.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM

5,303 posts, read 7,632,341 times
The private schools are fine in Hawaii, just not public. It depends on where you wanna send your kids.

As for the weather, Hawaii is much different than other tropical places. The humidity is not bad because of the moderating trade winds. Most people don't even have AC, as the homes are built in such a way that the trades can blow through and cool the house. The temperature itself has highs around 80F in the winter and 85F in summer. Nights range from 65F in winter to 75F in summer. Not bad at all. Now the Caribbean has harsh weather (well, sounds like it'd be for you), but Hawaii is much more comfortable.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anninkc View Post
Thank you, both. I'm currently living in a place which I think has fairly similar weather to Hawaii. To be honest, after only a year the constant heat is kind of doing me in. Also really concerned about schooling, which everyone says in Hawaii is just flat-out bad. Would also like to contemplate Seattle or Portland, but I think I would not survive the grey, rainy climate.
If the heat is doing you in, then you would actually love San Jose which is sunny most of the year yet temperate.

Also, the San Jose area has some really great public schools, especially if you move into a great school district like Palo Alto Unified or Fremont Union High School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City