U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be best to relocate to from NYC?
Chicago 16 30.77%
San Francisco 9 17.31%
Seattle 13 25.00%
Boston 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM

5,520 posts, read 11,970,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
What does a bigger population have to do with it? That's like saying NYC feels more Chinese than San Francisco because it has a bigger population. Just totally ridiculous.

If anything that's the thing that makes things turn to Boston's side. Asians are less represented in Chicago's population than in Boston. There are more things Asian for an average Boston Asian.

So you expect all Asians the city to do everything in Cook and DuPage Counties? Maybe you should go check if there is something wrong with your brain so you won't have to talk out of your ass so much.
Have you ever lived in Chicago or Boston? I have. Chicago's Chinatown is much bigger and more residential (ie Chinese actually live there in large numbers) than Boston's Chinatown. Chicago's South Asian population is significantly larger than Boston's with a large, visible presence on Devon St.

Boston probably has a more cohesive young college-age Asian crowd than Chicago, but in terms of community, activities, etc, I'd say Chicago is as good if not better than Boston. I don't have any experience with Seattle, so I can't make any comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM

669 posts, read 690,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
This can't really be your personality, right?
You feel like translating that in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Just like someone else said you just said Chicago has less amount of asians. he just proved you wrong. JUST ADMIT IT.
Like I said do you know how to read? I had an entire discussion with him about what I meant and it was mentioned plenty of times in both of our posts too. We didn't argue over if Chicago had more Asian population or not. We argued over whether it was the worded the way most people with common sense could understand it. Obviously he was proven right after you came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I already said that there was less than a 1% difference. That's not statistically relevant, IMO. Why not quit while you're behind?
Except you didn't say if it was statistically relevant or not. You claimed Chicago was 3rd and Boston was 4th in metro among these cities which was just a false statement. It sure seemed statistically relevant enough for you to mention it when you thought Chicago had a higher percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Cook and DuPage Counties are right next to each other and have over 6.1 million people combined in a fairly small land area. Cook County is over 6% Asian and DuPage County is over 10% Asian. There is probably more going on in these two counties than most metropolitan areas in the country.
So now we are breaking down counties to talk of density and diversity? Are you planning on getting rid of the rest of the counties in the Chicago MSA?

Last edited by yyuusr; 05-30-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Have you ever lived in Chicago or Boston? I have. Chicago's Chinatown is much bigger and more residential (ie Chinese actually live there in large numbers) than Boston's Chinatown. Chicago's South Asian population is significantly larger than Boston's with a large, visible presence on Devon St.

Boston probably has a more cohesive young college-age Asian crowd than Chicago, but in terms of community, activities, etc, I'd say Chicago is as good if not better than Boston. I don't have any experience with Seattle, so I can't make any comparisons.
I have been all 3 cities. Chicago has more number of Asians nobody is really denying that though. But Boston has more Asians per capita. If any one particular place in Chicago (city or MSA) has a larger percentage throughout a certain area than Boston that would obviously indicate it has less throughout the entire city as overall. How is that a good thing?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I have been all 3 cities. Chicago has more number of Asians nobody is really denying that though. But Boston has more Asians per capita. If any one particular place in Chicago (city or MSA) has a larger percentage throughout a certain area than Boston that would obviously indicate it has less throughout the entire city as it overall percentage would indicate. How is that a good thing?
Have you lived in any of these cities? Its one thing to visit, and another thing to be immersed or at least aware of the workings of the Asian communities of these metros.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Have you lived in any of these cities? Its one thing to visit, and another thing to be immersed or at least aware of the workings of the Asian communities of these metros.
Did you go around counting all the Asian communities in both metros when you live in them? You don't have to live somewhere to figure out demographics of a city. That's why they pay professionals to collect these data for us. Yes, you don't know the lifestyle of a city is like without actually living there long term but that's a different argument.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 PM

874 posts, read 1,122,104 times
What has this thread turned into? lol.

I think SF is probably your best bet based on everything you listed.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
wtf?
I meant MSA, give me break. I'm arguing with like a dozen Chicago posters at once.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, you don't know the lifestyle of a city is like without actually living there long term but that's a different argument.
But isn't this precisely the discussion that's actually worth having? Of course without more input from the OP, its hard to know which city is better for his preferred lifestyle.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
But isn't this precisely the discussion that's actually worth having? Of course without more input from the OP, its hard to know which city is better for his preferred lifestyle.
Sure if you want and I can man up and say that I don't know what the long term lifestyle in all these cities are like overall as I haven't actually lived in any of them.

But if you are really going to go that route though anybody who hasn't lived in a particular city ever mentioned in the forum can't really take part in these discussions.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times
Isn't the point of offering advice to someone to give them at least pretty correct information based on your own personal experiences (or maybe many experiences of close friends) in something you have experienced a bit first hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or