Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Atlanta 118 59.60%
Portland 80 40.40%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Depends on how you look at it. Atlanta's CBD is every bit as urban as Portland's (and much larger too) but beyond that, yeah, Atlanta's urbanity drops off while Portland's remains.

ATL and Portland aren't really on the same tier with Atlanta being about 2.5x larger (metro pop.) but Portland does have some strong points going for it that would make a lot of people -including myself if I didn't already have a career in ATL- consider it over Atlanta. If you're ok with rain, the weather is very mild, the scenery is beautiful, laid back atmosphere, and a string approach to sustainable development if that's your thing.

As far as your typical ammenities go (resturants, shopping, etc) Atlanta pretty much has more of everything but only because more people live there.
Agree with everything you say here except I disagree about the essence of your first 2 sentences. Yes the CBD of Atlanta is larger than Portland's, but which city has blocks and blocks in either direction of walk-able, dense, streetcar'ed areas? You guessed it, Portland. Atlanta is great but it's like a long narrow strip of urban compared to Portland's more comprehensive downtown. Also there is nothing mild about the weather in Portland, it's absolutely too cold there to be inhabited, same almost goes for Atlanta during the winter. But all in all your post was spot on about the differences between the 2 cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Agree with everything you say here except I disagree about the essence of your first 2 sentences. Yes the CBD of Atlanta is larger than Portland's, but which city has blocks and blocks in either direction of walk-able, dense, streetcar'ed areas? You guessed it, Portland. Atlanta is great but it's like a long narrow strip of urban compared to Portland's more comprehensive downtown. Also there is nothing mild about the weather in Portland, it's absolutely too cold there to be inhabited, same almost goes for Atlanta during the winter. But all in all your post was spot on about the differences between the 2 cities.
Too Cold? lol That average temperature never goes below freezing unlike the mid west and northeast. You must love the sun if your claim it's that cold. Spend a winter in New York or Chicago and Portland will feel like paradise.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Too Cold? lol That average temperature never goes below freezing unlike the mid west and northeast. You must love the sun if your claim it's that cold. Spend a winter in New York or Chicago and Portland will feel like paradise.
Well compared to Orlando it would be.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Atlanta cold? Compared to what, Caracas?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Oh I have, Chicago is where my parents and entire family are from. Therefore I know what you're saying about Portland being "mild" compared to Chicago, but when you find anything below 65 unbearable Portland is not your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well compared to Orlando it would be.
Exactly. Atlanta has 4 seasons compared to Orlando which can be preferable to some, but for me I like year round warmth. I took a trip a few years back to Atlanta for a concert and the wind was blowing and the temp was in the teens and it was snowing. Now I like Atlanta enough to deal with all that but I'm afraid the Floridian in me would see the novelty wear off fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta cold? Compared to what, Caracas?
See above post.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM

669 posts, read 914,690 times
Quote:
From parts of the country where it doesn't snow people tremble when it's anywhere near 50 degrees .

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Atlanta has pretty mild winters. Summer is the tough season.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Admittedly, I've never been to Portland but I have visited Atlanta. It's a very nice city but also very diverse -- many people who relocate to Atlanta from predominantly White cities are a bit taken back. One drawback to Atlanta is the traffic --expect bumper to bumper commutes. Atlanta has 4 seasons but is hot and humid in the summer. Portland is dark and dreary from October through April, so that's something to keep in mind as well.
Portland is? And you've never been there. okaaaaaay.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Depends on how you look at it. Atlanta's CBD is every bit as urban as Portland's (and much larger too) but beyond that, yeah, Atlanta's urbanity drops off while Portland's remains.

ATL and Portland aren't really on the same tier with Atlanta being about 2.5x larger (metro pop.) but Portland does have some strong points going for it that would make a lot of people -including myself if I didn't already have a career in ATL- consider it over Atlanta. If you're ok with rain, the weather is very mild, the scenery is beautiful, laid back atmosphere, and a string approach to sustainable development if that's your thing.

As far as your typical ammenities go (resturants, shopping, etc) Atlanta pretty much has more of everything but only because more people live there.
Atlanta's annual rainfall is 50" Portland's is 36"

As far as amenities go, more doesn't mean better.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I enjoyed my visit to Atlanta, it's a very pretty city with enjoyable nightlife and people for the most part are very approachable, socialable, and friendly (not one of Portland's best attributes) but once you get OTP (Outside the 285 perimeter) there's not much left. Savannah and the waves of the Atlantic are fairly distant, and roadtrips to Charlotte or Birmingham don't really excite me. Aestheticly viewing the panorama of Atlanta and its impressive skyline and modern contemporary elements are impresive, especially when driving around the city. Walking at street level in downtown/midtown/Buckhead didn't seem as intriguing as walking around downtown Portland and its surrounding neighborhoods.

Portland has the advantage of having both a great walkable downtown and more neighborhood orientated city with a lot of character but it also has a huge plethora of outstanding recreational opportunties from the stunning Oregon Coast, Mt Hood, skiing at Mt. Bachellor, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens, and Seattle up the road with Vancouver a bit further up. I like cities but also what is on the periphery is very important to me as well.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-31-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City