Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times

Advertisements

I agree with "neither". Integration is definitely not on Boston's agenda and New York isn't particularly integrated either. Different groups of people definitely live in a few of the same neighborhoods in New York - I've seen it - but the intersection often stops there... "Clannish" in my experience can be an understatement. There's almost literally a neighborhood or sub-neighborhood for every ethnic group that lives in NYC... That in and of itself makes a case of sorts against New York being integrated. Extremely diverse, yes. Integrated, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Since Boston regularly shows up on lists for the least integrated cities in America, the answer is clear.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I agree with "neither". Integration is definitely not on Boston's agenda and New York isn't particularly integrated either. Different groups of people definitely live in a few of the same neighborhoods in New York - I've seen it - but the intersection often stops there... "Clannish" in my experience can be an understatement. There's almost literally a neighborhood or sub-neighborhood for every ethnic group that lives in NYC... That in and of itself makes a case of sorts against New York being integrated. Extremely diverse, yes. Integrated, no.
It's like that with almost every place in the country. If your trying to claim "The Bay" is any better on this you would be wrong:
Race and ethnicity, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hardly any cities are integrated then.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
It's like that with almost every place in the country. If your trying to claim "The Bay" is any better on this you would be wrong:
Race and ethnicity, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hardly any cities are integrated then.
Oakland and a lot of the East Bay is definitely more integrated than anywhere I've seen in New York.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM

364 posts, read 619,323 times
Quote:
Lol, beyond ridiculous. I love it when you stated "There's almost literally a neighborhood or sub-neighborhood for every ethnic group that lives in NYC... That in and of itself makes a case of sorts against New York being integrated. Extremely diverse, yes. Integrated, no." Guess what? This proves New York has neighborhoods for every ethnicity, except probably Mexican. Every neighborhood has their own architecture, food, feel, culture, etc. Thanks for the compliment! And as for your clannish comment, SF lacks ethnic neighborhoods. They are more "integrated", correct? Their integration is why the majority has never heard of ethnic neighborhoods outside of Chinatown in SF. And we all know SF was the Mecca for Chinese oppression and slavery, what a shameful past! Do not even bother responding, I'm not returning.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Lol, beyond ridiculous. I love it when you stated "There's almost literally a neighborhood or sub-neighborhood for every ethnic group that lives in NYC... That in and of itself makes a case of sorts against New York being integrated. Extremely diverse, yes. Integrated, no." Guess what? This proves New York has neighborhoods for every ethnicity, except probably Mexican. Every neighborhood has their own architecture, food, feel, culture, etc. Thanks for the compliment! And as for your clannish comment, SF lacks ethnic neighborhoods. They are more "integrated", correct? Their integration is why the majority has never heard of ethnic neighborhoods outside of Chinatown in SF. And we all know SF was the Mecca for Chinese oppression and slavery, what a shameful past! Do not even bother responding, I'm not returning.

Lol so my post is ridiculous but you reiterate everything I said and then attempt to put some lame booster spin on it. Smh if everyone has their own neighborhood clearly they're not living in the same neighborhoods, ergo they're not integrated. Spin your way out of that one.

The only city in the NYC area I've personally seen that's actually integrated is Jersey City.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Oakland and a lot of the East Bay is definitely more integrated than anywhere I've seen in New York.
There are patches in NJ Meadowlands and Queens that are far more integrated than either of those.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
There are patches in NJ Meadowlands and Queens that are far more integrated than either of those.

Such as?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:54 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Since Boston regularly shows up on lists for the least integrated cities in America, the answer is clear.
Care to share where you get this from? To use you as an example, Milwalkee is a city that (I'm pretty positive) is much more segregated than Boston. And I'm still pretty sure that Boston tops NYC in this regard as well.

Whether integration is good or bad or neither or whatever is another discussion, but on this topic I do think Boston is certainly not the least integrated city in America...

Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Such as?
Look at the link posted for NYC on the first page. Hold your mouse over all the patches where there are various colors and it should say Jackson Heights, Flushing etc. Pretty simple process to grasp really. In NJ, the only city I have personally been spent a decent amount of time was Elizabeth and that was pretty integrated as well.

Last edited by yyuusr; 06-04-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City