U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,438,576 times
Reputation: 3061

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Instead of crying about it how about you show me some proof now. The fact that I'm not from New York kind of spares me from the bias. Unlike you who seems like your prepared to make love with the sewers of your city.

Here's some "proof":

America's 10 Most Segregated Cities

Notice which region is not on that list.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,438,576 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Take a look in the mirror....

BAY AREA! BAY AREA! BAY AREA!

You trash every city on this site except for the SF CSA!

Do I know you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
669 posts, read 729,768 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Here's some "proof":

America's 10 Most Segregated Cities

Notice which region is not on that list.
lol a list that only measures Whites and Blacks. Of course San Francisco is not on the list. It barely has a black population. Really getting pathetically desperate now even for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,438,576 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
lol a list that only measures Whites and Blacks. Of course San Francisco is not on the list. It barely has a black population. Really getting pathetically desperate now even for you.

If you manage to find a metric that makes New York more integrated than SF-Oakland I'm all ears.

What's pathetic is that you attack me on the 1st page for actually sticking to the thread topic because of where I'm from.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
669 posts, read 729,768 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If you manage to find a metric that makes New York more integrated than SF-Oakland I'm all ears.

What's pathetic is that you attack me on the 1st page for actually sticking to the thread topic because of where I'm from.
English please.

So after your obtuse attempt at posting evidence that just got thrown back at your face you go back to posting garbage again I see. Like I said instead of crying about how I'm not calling "The Bay" the greatest place in the world come back to me when you have some evidence that San Francisco has more integrated neighborhoods than NY which was what you claimed. Otherwise stop posting and quit wasting everybody's time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,438,576 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
English please.

So after your obtuse attempt at posting evidence that just got thrown back at your face you go back to posting garbage again I see. Like I said instead of crying about how I'm not call The Bay Area the greatest place in the world come back to me when you have some evidence that San Franciso has more diverse neighborhoods than NY. Otherwise stop posting and quit wasting everybody's time.
Lol you literally haven't posted jack ****. Try practicing what you preach.

Here's an interesting write-up on Jackson Heights...

Quote:
Jackson Heights, a middle-class neighborhood in northwest Queens, is touted as New York City’s most diverse neighborhood. Residents relish the distinction, but some admit the community is not as integrated as it could be.

“What we want to see more of is assimilation of cultures,” said longtime resident Edwin Westley. “It’s difficult to accomplish. We made some progress but not enough.”


Westley is the president of the Jackson Heights Beautification Group, which oversees the preservation of the area’s historic district. The group prides itself on welcoming participation from residents of all ethnic backgrounds. Members have elected a Latino director in the past and the organization currently has gay representation, but Westley admits that one of its “shortfalls” is that it’s “primarily white.”
http://pavementpieces.com/jackson-he...st-integrated/
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
669 posts, read 729,768 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Lol you literally haven't posted jack ****. Try practicing what you preach.

Here's an interesting write-up on Jackson Heights...



Jackson Heights: Diverse and almost integrated :: Pavement Pieces
Your posts are getting more infantile each second. It was you who claimed SF was more integrated so I will let you post some evidence first. And not a thick one this time if you don't mind.

And so now we are just posting articles of a few residents complaining about how it can be more integrated huh? lol ok I'll play:

Census: East Bay more diverse, and black residents
less isolated, but segregation by neighborhood persists


Btw, cursing on a forum page to just make senseless posts more vocal is not going to make sense out of it all of a sudden. Your only making yourself look more desperate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,438,576 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Your posts are getting more infantile each second. It was you who claimed SF was more integrated so I will let you post some evidence first. And not a stolid one this time if you don't mind.

And so now we are just posting articles of residents complaining about how it can be more integrated huh? lol ok I'll play:

Census: East Bay more diverse, and black residents
less isolated, but segregation by neighborhood persists


Btw, cursing on a forum page to just make senseless posts more vocal is not going to make sense out of it all of a sudden. Your only making yourself look more desperate.

From the article you posted:

Quote:
"The problem is a lot of integration studies are based on black and white," said Oakland Mayor-elect Jean Quan. "In Oakland, that just doesn't work."

Quan recalled canvassing one East Oakland street this fall where she ran into people who were African-American, white, African immigrants, and of Guatemalan, Mexican, Filipino and Southeast Asian descent. Some black-majority neighborhoods are doing well, and some are not, she said, and she is more concerned about concentrations of poverty and unemployment.

"Most of our neighborhoods are pretty multicultural," said Quan, who next month becomes the first Asian-American mayor of any large U.S. city. "The vast majority of Oakland is really integrated."
And I've never claimed the Bay Area is perfectly integrated - I've stated the opposite hundreds of times on this site - but it is in my experience (and apparently the experience of a lot of other people) a lot more integrated than New York.

And what are you, 13? I talk how I choose to talk. If I managed to offend your sensibilities with four asterisks then frankly you have no business being on the internet rofl.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,509 posts, read 12,034,908 times
Reputation: 10610
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
But the thing is Boston has a significantly few amount of minority groups so I just can't be more integrated.Unless your claiming Boston has more integrated neighborhoods than what they have which I just don't believe at all.
Residential segregation is typically defined by a "dissimilarity index." Essentially this works by figuring out what the average percentage of two groups is across the metro, and then how different each census track is from the norm. As the norm in the Boston MSA is whiter than in NYC, the existence of more 80%+ white neighborhoods in Boston doesn't show it's more segregated.

The statistics here are a bit old, but show the following:

NYC - 3rd in black-white segregation, 2nd for Hispanic-white segregation, 16th for Asian-white segregation
Boston - 19th in black-white segregation, 5th for Hispanic-white segregation, 39th for Asian-white segregation

Boston is undoubtedly more integrated across the metro as a whole than NYC. Within the city, it may be more arguable however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
There plenty of neighborhood in NYC that are integrated Jackson Heights, Richmond Hill, South Ozone park, Ozone park, Flushing, Woodhaven, Ridgewood, Kew Gardens, Jamaica (not South Jamaica but Jamaica itself), Fresh Meadows, Astoria, etc that are integrated.
It's not about the number of neighborhoods, it's about the percentage of a given minority which lives in a highly segregated area versus an integrated one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Now they are not all living in equal conditions but that's not what we are talking about. Boston can't just match NYC in numbers because it has places that's just mostly white after white for miles and miles.
I disagree Boston has a lot of places which are mostly white for miles and miles. In terms of areas over 80% white,you're mostly talking about inner-core areas (North End, Beacon Hill, South Boston, Back Bay, parts of Charlestown) and some portions of Jamaica Plain, West Roxbury, and far southern Dorchester.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
669 posts, read 729,768 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
From the article you posted:



And I've never claimed the Bay Area is perfectly integrated - I've stated the opposite hundreds of times on this site - but it is in my experience (and apparently the experience of a lot of other people) a lot more integrated than New York.

And what are you, 13? I talk how I choose to talk. If I managed to offend your sensibilities with four asterisks then frankly you have no business being on the internet rofl.
Lol the "evidence" you posted was just black and white too.

Let's post something for your article now then:

Quote:
Boundaries, but no racial tension

At first glance, Jackson Heights looks as if it is sectioned off into various ethnic enclaves. Indian and Bangladeshi business owners dominate 74th Street, informally dubbed “Little India” by residents because of the street’s numerous sari shops and Hindi movie stores.

Many South Americans and Latino businesses occupy Roosevelt Avenue where taco stands, Spanish-language store signs and advertisements for adult English classes are ubiquitous.

Asians generally live closer to Northern Boulevard, Jackson Heights’ northern border.

Jackson Heights was originally built as a haven for upper-class, white working families who wanted to get away from an increasingly crowded Manhattan but still be a 10-minute subway ride away from the center of the city. By the 1970s, a significant Colombian population had arrived in Jackson Heights, and scores of immigrants from all over the world have since moved to northwest Queens.

Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Argentineans, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, Bolivians, Jews, Italians, Russians and generations of white Americans call Jackson Heights home today. By many accounts the groups coexist well but not necessarily as one.

“There is very little racial tension,” Westley said. “The reason the neighborhood works is that no one is in the majority.”
You claimed it was more integrated and I still fail to see what evidence (non doltish) you posted for it. So I think i'll pass on taking your word again on experience of a lot of other people.

It's very ironic that you call someone 13 when you talk like one. I mean really what do you think cursing makes you sound cool? You didn't offend me I'm just saying that if you want people to ever take you seriously you better improve on that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top