U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Oklahoma Vs. Kansas
Oklahoma 18 54.55%
Kansas 15 45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 25,643 times

Advertisements

What is your overall preference between these two states based on the following:

- Overall friendliness

- Low cost of living

- Degree of freedom(Libertarian): has very few zoning laws, very few gun laws.

- Economy/ job market

- outdoor recreation (fishing, camping, hunting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 PM

2,701 posts, read 2,313,465 times
Not much difference between the two states on the first three. On the fourth one, probably Oklahoma right now but Kansas has probably been more stable traditionally and probably has some advantages such as less poverty and a more educated populace.

On outdoor recreation I think Oklahoma has more to offer there simply because there is more water and more diversity of the landscape than Kansas. It's certainly warmer than Kansas.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:35 PM

949 posts, read 797,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
What is your overall preference between these two states based on the following:

- Overall friendliness- Tie

- Low cost of living-Oklahoma

- Degree of freedom(Libertarian): has very few zoning laws, very few gun laws.-Oklahoma

- Economy/ job market-Oklahoma

- outdoor recreation (fishing, camping, hunting)-Oklahoma

Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 PM

7,812 posts, read 9,664,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post

- Overall friendliness

- Low cost of living

- Degree of freedom(Libertarian): has very few zoning laws, very few gun laws.

- Economy/ job market

- outdoor recreation (fishing, camping, hunting)
Comparing entire states is difficult. You can't really compare OKC or Tulsa to western Kansas, just like you can't really compare suburban Kansas City (Kansas side) to Most of Oklahoma.

First off, The suburban Kansas side of metropolitan Kansas City which basically stretches all the way from state line to Lawrence has a very different feel and culture than most of the rest of the state. You can also live in this area of Kansas which technically does not have a lot to offer as far as culture, big league sports, amusement parks, arts, concerts, museums etc, but is only minutes from such amenities in Missouri. Same with outdoor recreation. Most of the population of Kansas lives near the Missouri border and the Lake of the Ozarks etc is closer than driving half away across Kansas. What's I'm saying is that while Kansas itself probably doesn't even offer what Oklahoma does, those in eastern Kansas have easy access to metro KC and Missouri which is a totally different league than any city in Oklahoma or the state of Oklahoma.

Now if you live west of Topeka, I think Oklahoma pulls away as far as having things to do (urban or nature) till you get way west where mid Colorado is a closer drive.

Because much of Kansas lives in the KC area (The suburban KS side of KC + Lawrence alone is twice the size of metro Wichita) and its largest county is actually an affluent suburb of KCMO, the state of Kansas is culturally less conservative than OK in my opinion. The larger KS counties around KC are blue to moderately or fiscally conservative. It's not the bible belt, gun rights area that OK is even though outstate Kansas may be that way.

Hope that makes sense. Basically there is a pretty big difference between KS and OK. Even compared to Kansas, Oklahoma seems overly conservative and religious to me.

Other differences are it seems like Kansas does not have as extreme weather that OK does. Now again, I'm talking about the northeast part of the state. I think the southern and western parts of the state might rival OK's extreme weather.

Kansas (again the northeastern parts) is way more lush and green with more forested areas and trees and it's also hillier. I know OK has some interesting topography out west and even around Tulsa, but central OK is just not very appealing to me.

I think people are more friendly in OK, but honestly I think they are too friendly and kind of "fake". They are friendly to you , but then talk about you behind your back if you don't fit their religious, political views etc. Kansas is the same way, but I think OK is worse.

OK is cheaper than KS. The KS side of KC is not only more expensive than OK, it's overpriced and the rest of the state of KS is probably similar to OK overall.

OK is in far better shape than KS is economically. KS has some pretty deep economic issues. Their primary economic engine is suburban KC and they have to prop that area up with massive amounts of corporate welfare and other tax incentives and even then they can generally only attract economic development that is already in the KC area across state line (poaching etc). Taxes are high in Kansas, especially for what you get, which is not much.

OK actually has much nicer urban cities. Tulsa and OKC may not be the best cities in the country, but OK does pretty well with what they have been given to work with. Kansas on the other hand generally completely fails at building high quality urban cities and all they basically care about is suburban sprawl. Wichita, KCK, Topeka etc are just not great urban places. KCK and Topeka are two of the worst urban cities in the country if you ask me.

Kansas has very nice college towns. Lawrence and Manhattan are great college towns. Lawrence is the best place in the state of Kansas IMO.

Speaking of colleges, both states are totally obsessed with college sports, I mean obsessed. If you are in OK or KS, college sports is in your face 24/7 and people’s lives revolve around whatever college sports teams they worship. It’s easy to spot tourists here in DC from OK or KS. They are wearing college sports apparel.

Personally, KS and OK are two of the states that I probably care for the least. Other than very rural states like WY, SD, ND, IA, NE, AR etc that I love to visit (more than KS or OK), they just don't have large enough cities for my tastes.

Therefore OK and KS would be the last states I would choose to live in. They both lack both urban amenities (big city culture and entertainment), outdoor recreation (mountains, oceans, extensive biking/hiking etc) desirable weather and are both more conservative than I prefer. But if I had to choose, I would choose the KS side of KC over any place in OK, but would choose Tulsa or OKC if I couldn't live within 10 minutes of KCMO in Kansas.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 PM

579 posts, read 419,204 times
- Overall friendliness. Both friendly.

- Low cost of living. Both affordable.

- Degree of freedom(Libertarian): has very few zoning laws, very few gun laws. The only study I could find was this: Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners - Guns & Ammo According to this study, Kansas is #8 and Oklahoma is #30. The site gives a list of the criteria. You might do some more searching to see if it is at all accurate.

- Economy/ job market. Some people think Kansas is impossible to live if you are not 20 minutes from the Missouri border. It's not, especially if you are not an urban fanboy. I actually just spent a few days in Wichita with a friend and had a great time. The city seems to really be doing well with up coming areas, festivals, museums & the zoo. We ate Malaysian food and spent the evening at a very nice cinema called the Warren. The drive down, across the Flint Hills, is spectacular. And Lawrence, which is a separate entity from the KC metro, is sort of the liberal safe haven of the state. However, Kansas does not have something on the lines of OKC which has a larger collection of amenities than Kansas's largest city, Wichita.

- outdoor recreation (fishing, camping, hunting)Both are going to be good on this, but Oklahoma has the mountains in the Eastern corner, and the panhandle which I'm sure has a lot of unique areas. Kansas is more green, rolling hills, open prairies. Both will have ample supply of space and outdoor recreation.

You've really chosen some unique states that many don't even consider. Honestly, they are two of my favorite. I'd be tempted to live in either OKC or Wichita or somewhere in between.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,503,907 times
The KCMO metro area offers far more than anything in Oklahoma. Because of that, I choose Kansas. However, if you exclude KCMO, Oklahoma wins this.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,049,420 times
Oklahoma for me. Kansas is nice though.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,349,254 times
Native Kansan here and I would chose Oklahoma overall because of the more varied countryside.

Both states are mostly rural and the people are quite friendly.

Cost of living may be a little bit lower in OK but only because Kansas has a large population near Kansas City. There isn't much difference though. Both are low cost states.

I think Kansas may have a bit more libertarian freedom than OK. I think OK is closer to the Buckle of the Bible belt than Kansas.

As far as economy, I believe the oil/natural gas fracking boom is having a moderately positive affect on both states but I believe the agriculture sector in Kansas may be a bit more prosperous.

Outdoor recreation I believe OK wins hands down. It has the western section of the Ouachita Mtns which come over from Arkansas along with the forest that comes with it. Kansas has nothing like that. OK also has some smaller mountain ranges such as the Arbuckle and Wichita mtn ranges farther west. Kansas has some moderately interesting and unique Flint Hills and Gypsum Hills but they don't compare to what OK has IMO.
The weather is equally volatile in both states.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 PM

129 posts, read 123,096 times
Overall friendliness: Tie, both are similar culture-wise

Low cost of living: Overall would be Oklahoma

Economy/ job market: Kansas since they have the KC metro

Outdoor recreation (fishing, camping, hunting): Oklahoma, not even close. OK has a mountain which really isnt even a mountain, but more of a small bluff (arbuckle). More lakes especially as you get closer to arkansas

Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM

1,894 posts, read 1,590,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberaptor View Post

Outdoor recreation (fishing, camping, hunting): Oklahoma, not even close. OK has a mountain which really isnt even a mountain, but more of a small bluff (arbuckle). More lakes especially as you get closer to arkansas
Oklahoma as a few small mountains and tall hills in the SE part of the state that are over 2,000' above the surrounding terrain. They are part of the Ouachita Mountains.

The Arbuckles are in South Central Oklahoma and look more like hills to me. But they are more famous for their incredible rock formations and interesting geography. That is where Turner Falls is.

LeFlore County in SE Oklahoma.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City