Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I also think Louisville is underrated,this forum is the only place I ever hear about Louisville other than college basketball,in the media and peoples minds in this area at least its as far away as delaware,Im sure you can ask almost anyone in the west and they never heard of Louisville.I know a few years back it only had like 200 sum thousand but they added some surrounding cities and more than doubled their pop.But they do deserve some attention, they do have a nice city going for them.
I live in NY, and believe it or not I know some who have gone to Louisville and told me what a great time they had! More than one. Also I have a friend who grew up in Phila who moved there with husband, got into real estate and she loves the place and has become a real booster of the city.

There are people from Louisville who have come to NY too, they have done a debut at Carnegie Hall, the musicians I've met anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Oklahoma City, OK definately. Its not as conservative as stereotyped and has taken great strides in recent years at improving nightlife and recreation. An article came out recently about more OKC college grads staying in the metro rather than taking off for Dallas or Houston as they once did. OKC is about to land an NBA team, which will elevate the city to a new level.

Rural backwoods Oklahoma on the other hand...

Old 11-05-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Are you kidding? For its size, Philadelphia is very underrated. I rarely hear of it nowadays.
Look at it this way. Since formidable Houston moved into the 4th largest city spot in the nation, the media/advertising power machines in NY/LA are so busy trying to detract and isolate Houston, overblowing its rough edges(as if NY and LA don't have any, HA!) they've completely ignored Phila altogether.

But Philly I'll tell ya has been a big rising star on the East Coast. Just drive by it on I-95. it looks like a newer version of NY, much more modern. But down in Phila its old nabes are full of life and great restaurants and clubs, especially South Street.

Philly just doesn't have a lot of media presence bc it doesn't have a lot of media as a basic industrial sector. NY/LA/CHI do as does Atlanta and DC and it's situated as a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit, NY and DC.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 PM

145 posts, read 375,088 times
I have never been here but my husband loved it when he was visiting, he said it was very nice and the town I am talking about is Indianapolis

Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
I think the "Rocky" movies, has stereotyped all of Philadelphia as this gritty,grimy,blue collared city. Add the obnoxious sports fans, shady crime reports and you have an image thats really hard to shake.

You seem to hear an awful lot about Philly's negatives but rarely hear about its good points.A vibrant cosmopolitan downtown filled with commerce,shopping, restaurants,cultural + historical attractions. The Ben Franklin Parkway- arguably the classiest, grandest boulevard in north america.An enormous park system that meanders throughout the city.A dozen exceptional historic neighborhoods that no one outside of SE Pa knows about and that any city in the world would love to call their own if they did know about them.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 PM

That is true about those old Rocky movies. HOwever, I happened to see the newest one a year or so ago, "Rocky Balboa".

They are showing much of the new Phila vis a vis the old when Rocky was young.

The movie is quite good.

Philly has some great architecture, btw, both old and new. The buildlings are so tall now when you're there they're dizzying.

NY's skyline has always been a trick of the cameras many times, the WTC did make it impressive, however now it's not much but some newer things going up. Still a lot of NY is totally hyped, tricks of the camera to make it so daunting a place when it isn't really. It is very big though but not vertically.

The Empire State BUilding is classic but is short-stuff in today's world.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Look at it this way. Since formidable Houston moved into the 4th largest city spot in the nation, the media/advertising power machines in NY/LA are so busy trying to detract and isolate Houston, overblowing its rough edges(as if NY and LA don't have any, HA!) they've completely ignored Phila altogether.

But Philly I'll tell ya has been a big rising star on the East Coast. Just drive by it on I-95. it looks like a newer version of NY, much more modern. But down in Phila its old nabes are full of life and great restaurants and clubs, especially South Street.

Philly just doesn't have a lot of media presence bc it doesn't have a lot of media as a basic industrial sector. NY/LA/CHI do as does Atlanta and DC and it's situated as a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit, NY and DC.
The powers in NY/LA don't like Chicago either. It gets dissed as the capital of flyover country. Maybe there was a plan to detract/isolate Chicago so L.A. could become the Second City?

Philadelphia was supposed to be America's city, until Hamilton and Madison hatched a plan. Hopefully it can make a comeback and make N.Y.C. a memory and turn it into ashes.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The powers in NY/LA don't like Chicago either. It gets dissed as the capital of flyover country. Maybe there was a plan to detract/isolate Chicago so L.A. could become the Second City?

Philadelphia was supposed to be America's city, until Hamilton and Madison hatched a plan. Hopefully it can make a comeback and make N.Y.C. a memory and turn it into ashes.
It's only but so far they can go with Chicago. It's a favored US city among Europeans, especially Brits I know. The many int'l business and other magazines available on NY newsstands have run many excellent articles about Chicago's excellent economy and diversification. Real success stories. E.g the Economist, Forbes, Newweek, US News, Business Week.

L.A surpassed it in size just as Houston did Phila knocking it into 5th place.

Cities compete, and NY's competition is at an all time high trying to regain positive attention and regain growth since the attacks.

There is much US history to see in Philly, there is also in Baltimore, and the home of a lot of famous old US companies.

Phila used to be the capitol right? The country grew and then the War of 1812 where Key wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" at Ft McHenry in Balto while DC burned from the British. The Capitol was relocated and built in DC to satisfy both North and South. Years later the Civil War and upheaval, the nation expanded once again moving power and capital with it.

We're in the same dynamic trend today, however, we have been suffering a some set backs in 6 years, and NY has been trying to reassert itself. Only natural and understandable.

But in Washington and the Constitution population rules and Chicago is also feeling the effects of the South/West internal power shift just like NY.

But Chicago with Oprah and some other media, publishing, tv, etc still radiating even in NY. Wall Street, the NASDAQ, invests in Chicago and everywhere.

What people say and gets tossed around or dissed doesn't usually stand up on paper. Chicago is still very important, the ASE, et al.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
It's only but so far they can go with Chicago. It's a favored US city among Europeans, especially Brits I know.
L.A. attracts the most Brits and Simon Cowell is the face of that group.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
L.A. attracts the most Brits and Simon Cowell is the face of that group.
True it's a favorite, (LA, Hollywood, etc) of people in the rock industry and some others, but for living and raising a family or being more down to earth they usually cite Chicago. I guess it depends on occupation but over NY they usually take Chicago, but over LA I dunno. That's why I said Chicago is 'a' favored US city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City