U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,049,557 times

Advertisements

I don't think Pittsburgh is underrated. I hear about it all the time and it seems to get plenty of love here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:48 PM

4,277 posts, read 7,208,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Absolutely beautiful! People on City-Data seem to have an irrational hatred of Pennsylvania in general, and I truly don't see why. I consider myself a VERY picky person, but if I'm opting to stay in the Keystone State after college to raise my family, then that ought to say something.
Haha. I don't really think people have an irrational hatred of PA. Lots of people complement our scenery and picturesque small towns. Plenty of New Yorkers and New Jersians have enough interest in it, anyway, which is giving PA what I believe is a healthy rate of slow, stable growth (Las Vegas can keep its outrageous influx of people). Considering the circumstances that PA has in overcoming a decline in industry and transitioning into a modern service-based economy, I think we're doing pretty well and have a positive future.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,267,533 times
Default ...Albuquerque?

Monday, November 12, 2007

Young Are Flocking to Duke City

By Gene Grant
For the Journal

In the ongoing debate over just exactly "who" constitutes this new generation of mobile young Americans, where they chose to live and for what reasons, one thing is perfectly clear: Albuquerque is in the conversation.

Now come the latest metrics that show the pull of the sun is a serious attraction for the 25 to 34 set.

The recently released U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey results for 2000 through 2006 reveal a rather startling pattern that cannot be chalked up anywhere near to coincidence, with so-called Sun Belt cities like Phoenix, San Antonio, Texas, Austin, Las Vegas, Nev., Oklahoma City, Tucson, and yes, Albuquerque, showing top tier gains.

To the tune of 10 percent or more in that short period of time.

Simply, if you are in this demographic, this entire country is your oyster, with place of birth, parents and peers be damned. These kids are considering any given city as "home" for a variety of nontraditional reasons.

This is a rather interesting change of pace, considering that the previous period tracked, 1990 to 2000, pegged the top five metros for growth in this age group as Las Vegas, Austin, Phoenix, Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham, N.C. Even though 'Vegas, Austin and Phoenix are also on that list, their rate of growth in the age group has slowed markedly.

The numbers for cities losing young people lately are shocking, with San Francisco and Pittsburgh losing 30 percent, Philadelphia 15 percent, New York City and Los Angeles 10 percent, Seattle 14 percent, and Boston 13 percent. Chicago is losing 14 percent and Indianapolis nearly 10 percent, and so on.

In fact, of the 40 largest cities in the country, only nine have shown increases in this age group. Inside that choice is the question of jobs and housing. Meaning, can I find or create work and can I afford a home? Many of these lagging cities are simply not affordable anymore.

There's a simple logic here. If you live in a struggling Rust Belt or snowy locale, a sunny clime starts to look attractive.

Younger people have flipped on its head the notion that with increased age comes the desire for more sun.

A few years ago I was one of five people from Albuquerque to fly to Pittsburgh to meet with then-darling Richard Florida, author of "The Rise of the Creative Class," which made a lot of noise on this idea of the transient youngster. Florida was quite bullish on Albuquerque, having ranked us No. 1 in his book for midsized cities for the so-called "creative class," which is made up in the main of this age group.

If you recall the hullabaloo, a lot of folks were not going there.

They didn't buy it. You might also recall that the leading idea then was making New Mexico appealing to retiring boomers instead. Solid idea, but while the debate raged the younger set have voted with their feet.

So what does that mean for us? It may be a tad early to make a firm call, beyond the ephemeral bonuses of energy and creativity, which is abundantly apparent. What we can hope for is an uptick in the professional career categories, since this group is armed with education, but it may be that the horse will be chasing the wagon in the short term.

Regardless, it's a reality in the here and now that would serve whoever is planning on running for mayor next cycle to pay some serious attention to.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,885,580 times
I had also seen the article and agree with these Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

But definitely think Houston is the most underrated... having experience living in Houston and other cities, IMO most people know very little about it (and most of what they do know is overly negative exaggerations)

Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbarto150 View Post
How is Austin possibly underrated, people are trying to compare it to the likes of San Francisco on this board. If anything the city is an overrated one trick pony.
I agree Austin is overrated -- I lived there several years. The media and some people make it out to be some cutting-edge utopia.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM

The OP mentioned in the title "business" and "theater".

Most people have no idea Houston ranks 2nd in the country (after NYC) in those two categories in a few ways; Houston has the 2nd largest theatre district after NYC's Broadway, and ranks 2nd after NYC in number of Fortune 500 companies.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,551,736 times

That just might be the most gorgeous city picture I've ever seen. Go Pittsburgh, it's your birthday.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 PM

125 posts, read 380,639 times
I hate Reading but I love PA.

Pittsburgh has the most beautiful skyline, Philly is the capital of America(screw Washington), Scranton is putting PA on the map via the Office, Harrisburg is making a comeback and Bethlahem always looks good.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:46 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,628,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
"Underrated" to me means places that get little press but actually have some really good things going for them. The places that people say "No WAY would I live THERE" - the irony being they're often missing out on a unique experience.

Take Okla City. 1970's - white flight to the suburbs. 1980's - oil bust and decline. In 1986 I said it was the armpit of America. Today, I'd say it's the #1 underrated city in the country. What an awesome mix of old and new architecture. It's got that vintage, down-and-out, up-and-coming feel to it. It's like a Rt.66 town that was frozen in time, revived, and put on steroids. You can find any "scene" you want, and, be a part of it. It's inclusive, and the people are truly welcoming. They want you to be a part of their city. Combine that with affordable real estate prices, an awesome small/mid-sized airport and manageable traffic. Add sunny skies, and two interstates that somehow have a wild-west, rodeo feel to them. Throw in the occasional tornado, a few shakes of Will Rogers humor, and some of the friendliest people you'll meet anywhere.

Okla City is my #1 underrated city, period.
I agree here for the most part. Having lived in Oklahoma City before I say the #1 thing it has going against it national perception wise is conservative politics. Its not hip to be conservative these days especially with the 18-30 crowd. It would also help if the city would start building up instead of out, which with the Core 2 Shore projects it looks like might start to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or