U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,753,681 times

Advertisements

The USA could 'live' without any one state, duh.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 PM

16,457 posts, read 21,491,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
But no one care about those back wood states.
I'd prefer one of these "back wood" states with their natural beauty, clean air, and lower population to a polluted, overcrowded, concrete jungle. As a rule of thumb the big urban areas don't really produce anything of actual physical use anymore, they are leeches sucking up resources and giving us such spectacular things as consumerism and the disasters it brings like the current economic disaster from people who felt they had to have everything the gods of consumerism dictate.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 PM

2,876 posts, read 6,021,016 times
I think any of the 50 states could function independently in today's world. I say function italicized because there would be a very wide range of prosperity with some states quickly dropping to 3rd world status and others would remain 1st world (but not top tier). None would benefit economically from being independent.

So my answer is any group of 49 states could be done away with and the United State of America would still "live".

Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I think any of the 50 states could function independently in today's world. I say function italicized because there would be a very wide range of prosperity with some states quickly dropping to 3rd world status and others would remain 1st world (but not top tier). None would benefit economically from being independent.

So my answer is any group of 49 states could be done away with and the United State of America would still "live".
Alaska would definately benefit economically from independence. Currently most of the land is held by the feds and resources are either not able to be used, or, badly mismanaged by the feds (the Tongass National Forest, for instance). Maybe some other Western states also fall into this position.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 PM

505 posts, read 1,195,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'd prefer one of these "back wood" states with their natural beauty, clean air, and lower population to a polluted, overcrowded, concrete jungle. As a rule of thumb the big urban areas don't really produce anything of actual physical use anymore, they are leeches sucking up resources and giving us such spectacular things as consumerism and the disasters it brings like the current economic disaster from people who felt they had to have everything the gods of consumerism dictate.
This post was kind of refreshing. Its nice to have a different perspective sometimes, even though I don't necessarily agree.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 PM

2,646 posts, read 5,001,366 times
Quote:
I'd prefer one of these "back wood" states with their natural beauty, clean air, and lower population to a polluted, overcrowded, concrete jungle.
With one of the most well paid, intelligent populations in the nation. One of the best school systems in the U.S. One of the most populated with undergrad, postgrad populous in the Union.
One of the highest concentrations of engineers & chemists in the nation.
Go make maple syrup............................

Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,260,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
Oh and Alaska, let's just face it--it belongs to Canada.
I can see that when you look at a map, but from what I can tell politically/culturally it's not much like Canada and it was also never a part of Canada.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 PM

6,823 posts, read 9,391,118 times
Quote:
Alaska would definately benefit economically from independence. Currently most of the land is held by the feds and resources are either not able to be used, or, badly mismanaged by the feds (the Tongass National Forest, for instance). Maybe some other Western states also fall into this position.
By Federal mismanagement, do you mean not allowing Alaska letting millionaire "sportsmen" to come in and hunt down animals from a helicopter?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
By Federal mismanagement, do you mean not allowing Alaska letting millionaire "sportsmen" to come in and hunt down animals from a helicopter?
Aerial sport hunting is banned in AK. The only aerial hunting is population control measures in remote, roadless areas.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
With one of the most well paid, intelligent populations in the nation. One of the best school systems in the U.S. One of the most populated with undergrad, postgrad populous in the Union.
One of the highest concentrations of engineers & chemists in the nation.
Go make maple syrup............................
You might be surprised how educated us backwoodsmen are up here, and the number of good schools. I'd say the quality of life is much better outside the concrete jungles.

How the city hurts your brain - Boston.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or