U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
St. Louis 24 28.92%
Philly 59 71.08%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM

840 posts, read 922,814 times

Advertisements

I love Philly, it's one of my favorite cities in the world. Though St. Louis has fallen into a tier below Philadelphia, for most of American history they were considered peers. For that reason, there are some comparable parallels even though the scale might be different today. Both are amazing, wonderful, urban, historic and original cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM

189 posts, read 281,559 times
I like Philly a lot too and visited extensively for conferences and since I have a few friends there. Both have a ton of history and culture. Center city is awesome so I can easily say that Philly's downtown is more vibrant than STL's at the moment although downtown St. Louis is quickly ramping up in vibrancy too. Philly is also great for the cities that are nearby. These two cities have a lot more in common than most people think. Its just that most people on the east coast haven't had the chance to make it out to St. Louis to see what it is really like these days. All the visitors from out of town that I have had over have been pleasantly surprised by how awesome St. Louis is.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM

622 posts, read 406,082 times
Saint Louis=Philly
East STL=Camden
Kansas City=Pittsburgh
Chicago=New York

??

Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,878,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Philly is larger, but I would choose St Louis in a heartbeat over Philly.

I think there is just as much to do (in the metro, not taking into account beaches, NYC etc near Philly). StL has many high quality attractions that locals return to. I think the zoo, science center, six flags, botanical gardens etc are enough and compete well with Philly. Philly has more historical and national type attractions, but once you have seen them, you have seen them.
Have you been to Philadelphia's Zoo, Science Center, Six Flags (Jersey), Botanical Gardens, (art museums, archaeological museum, medical museum...)? You make it seem like the only thing to actually see in Philadelphia is the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:09 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,990,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
StL is a LOT nicer than I think anybody on this forum know that has not spent considerable time here. It has some of the best urban neighborhoods (although mostly outside of Downtown) of any city, many very charming inner ring streetcar type suburbs and very affluent outer suburbs set in some nice topography.

I think the 2.5-4 million population cities (St Louis, MSP, Seattle, Denver etc) are perfect. They have plenty to do yet they tend to have less congestion, lower cost of living and things are more accessible.
St Louis is definitely a great deal nicer, more vibrant, more liveable and more intact than most people give it credit for, and it is justifiably proud of some of its great urban neighborhoods, but I think St Louisians have a tendency to exaggerate that aspect of their city to some degree, and I certainly don't think St Louis' urban or inner ring suburban neighborhoods stack up very well in terms of quantity or quality compared to Philadelphia. Pittsburgh, sure...Philly, not so much.

Which brings me to your second point, and here again we largely agree, I think that mid-sized range is a great "size" of city from my own personal perspective. And I would much rather live in St Louis than Philly, I wouldn't think twice about it, but I will say that I think St Louis is a real underperformer ina lot of critical ways as compared even to the 2.5-4 million range of places like Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, San Diego, Portland, etc., much less when it gets put up for a compare/contrast with a city twice its size that has even more historic cultural importance (which i one of StL great strengths) than StL does. In short, I think Philly just beats St Louis at St Louis' own game.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM

8,702 posts, read 10,847,159 times
Picture of the core of Center City Philadelphia

Aerial Photos of Philadelphia for the Center City District | Imagic Digital Blog

Picture of the core of St. Louis

File:Aerial view of St. Louis, Missouri, 2008-11-19 edit.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Densest urban streetview in St. Louis
st louis - Google Maps

Densest urban streetview in Philadelphia
philadelphia - Google Maps

St. Louis streetview zoomed out 6 times
st louis - Google Maps

Philadelphia streetview zoomed out 6 times
philadelphia - Google Maps

Show us St. Louis' best neighborhoods and we will compare then with Philadelphia's... St. Louis is great city, but come on people.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM

189 posts, read 281,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Show us St. Louis' best neighborhoods and we will compare then with Philadelphia's...
I've already conceded the point that downtown St. Louis loses to center city Philly. Downtown STL has been neglected for decades and we have a major center for highrises out in the suburb of Clayton and around Forest Park. If they were all placed in one CBD, they would rival Philly in appearance but its just the way things turned out that they are not. Downtown STL has finally increased in activity over the last decade though and is quickly getting better.

As for neighborhoods, I'd be happy to show you some that I'm familiar with.

Central West End (I live here!)
Maryland Plaza
Maryland & Euclid
Laclede and Euclid
Lindell East of Kingshighway
Lindell West of Kingshighway (Not strictly in the CWE but close enough)

Soulard
Lafayette and 9th
Geyer and 9th
Meynard and Russel

Lafayette Square
Park and Mississippi
Benton Pl
Park and Missouri

Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,079,300 times
Center City Philly is obviously more dense and urban than downtown St. Louis, but some of our outer neighborhoods are similar to Philly's. The brick rowhomes of the near south side (Soulard, Benton Park, etc.) are reminiscent of the Philly cityscape. I don't think anyone is implying that St. Louis is more urban than Philly, it's just that the architecture here is reminiscent of Philly, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 PM

8,291 posts, read 9,512,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Center City Philly is obviously more dense and urban than downtown St. Louis, but some of our outer neighborhoods are similar to Philly's. The brick rowhomes of the near south side (Soulard, Benton Park, etc.) are reminiscent of the Philly cityscape. I don't think anyone is implying that St. Louis is more urban than Philly, it's just that the architecture here is reminiscent of Philly, albeit on a much smaller scale.
I'll give you that in terms both cities having similar housing stock but some of these assumptions made on this thread about Philly and St. Louis having relatively similar culture seems to be a bit of a stretch to me.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM

8,702 posts, read 10,847,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
I've already conceded the point that downtown St. Louis loses to center city Philly. Downtown STL has been neglected for decades and we have a major center for highrises out in the suburb of Clayton and around Forest Park. If they were all placed in one CBD, they would rival Philly in appearance but its just the way things turned out that they are not. Downtown STL has finally increased in activity over the last decade though and is quickly getting better.

As for neighborhoods, I'd be happy to show you some that I'm familiar with.

Central West End (I live here!)
Maryland Plaza
Maryland & Euclid
Laclede and Euclid
Lindell East of Kingshighway
Lindell West of Kingshighway (Not strictly in the CWE but close enough)

Soulard
Lafayette and 9th
Geyer and 9th
Meynard and Russel

Lafayette Square
Park and Mississippi
Benton Pl
Park and Missouri
Wow! The Central West End is BEAUTIFUL! Reminds me very much of a Chicago type neighborhood. I like the modern highrises. Very nice. Good choice in neighborhoods.

Here are some of Philly's nice ones (too lazy to post Google Streetview Maps). I'll post one image for each that tries to represent the neighborhood the best.

Center City

Society Hill
Rittenhouse Square
Penn Center
Fitler Square
Washington Square West
Old City
Logan Square
Chinatown
Franklintown
Penn's Landing (up and coming)
Market East (up and coming)
Loft District (up and coming)

South Philadelphia
Bella Vista
Queen Village
Graduate Hospital (G-Ho, Southwest Center City, South of South or So-So)
Italian Market
Passyunk Square
Pennsport
East Passyunk Crossing
Whitman
Wharton
Marconi Plaza
Packer Park
Girard Estates
Newbold (up and coming)

North Philadelphia
Northern Liberties
Fairmount
Spring Garden
Poplar
East Oak Lane
West Oak Lane
Ogontz (okay)
Fern Rock (okay)
Logan (okay)
Olney (okay)
Cedarbrook (okay)
Stenton (okay)
Francisville (up and coming)
Spring Arts (up and coming)
Olde Kensington (up and coming)
Templetown (up and coming)

West Philadelphia
University City
Powelton Village
Spruce Hill
Clark Park
Woodland Terrace
Cedar Park
Southwest Cedar Park
Squirrel Hill
Garden Court
Walnut Hill
Belmont
Wynnefield
Wynnefield Heights
Overbrook
Overbrook Hills
Overbrook Park
Overbrook Farms
Southwest Cobbs Creek (okay)
Mantua (up and coming)

Southwest Philadelphia
Eastwick
Elmwood

The Riverwards
Fishtown
Kensington (parts nice, parts ghetto)
Bridesburg
Port Richmond

Northwest Philadelphia
Manayunk
East Falls
Roxborough
Andorra
Wissahickon
Germantown
West Mt. Airy
East Mt. Airy
Chestnut Hill

Northeast Philadelphia
Mayfair
Fox Chase
Tacony
Burholme
Rhawnhurst
Holmesburg
Torresdale
Bustleton
Somerton
most of the rest of the Northeast

You get the idea.

Oh and BTW, these are just neighborhoods WITHIN the city. The list would go on and on for miles if we included suburbs.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 06-18-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or