Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: H-Town vs. L.A.
Los Angeles 483 66.53%
Houston 243 33.47%
Voters: 726. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Houston trumps Los Angeles in a lot more then a few categories.

People like Los Angeles for superficial reasons and for Hollywood.

When you cut into the pie you realize it's not what it's all hyped up to be.
I would like to know these superficial reasons. Climate? Sun? Natural beauty? Lifestyle? Amazing cuisine?

If you're talking about Hollywood and Fame, that represents a tiny portion of LA, and mostly concentrated in West LA. It would be unfair to define all of Houston by one of its neighborhoods, nonetheless a bigger metropolis like Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:50 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:

You're right. It exceeds it.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:53 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
BBQ, sure. I believe it. BEER though?!? Houston has nothing on LA's and California's craft beer scene. Just due to geographic distance alone, we have access to some of the best craft beer anywhere in the country thanks to San Diego...plus not to mention the emergence of our own craft beer scene in the last decade with breweries popping up all over the place, in part due to how saturated the San Diego market is.

To be fair, I'm sure Houston has some excellent beer worth trying. Also, I think the California beer scene needs to a take a break from IPA's for a second (I'm a fan of stouts and porters).

That aside...you may go on with your day.
Seriously, IPAs are getting a little out of hand. I am like a half mile from the Stone Company Store and would drink there a few times a month - I had to put a stop to that for a while, for my waistband's sake. I love hops, but there are very few non-hoppy local beers. Golden Road has some good ones, but their Hef made me break out in hives, which was weird.

As far as Houston's development patterns resembling Los Angeles, I would love to see some pictures. It seems like some of the new mixed use buildings look similar. I wonder if Houston has the same insane parking requirements for their structures, and if so or if not, if a lot of parking is included when they are built. Because a lot of parking is included for LA mixed users.

The biggest difference between the cities, and perhaps an irreconcilable difference between the two cities, is that Los Angeles has that dense, enormous grid of arterial commercial streets that make the almost the entire city inherently semi-walkable, and often very walkable. Not that Houston does not have its walkable areas, but it does not seem like the streets are laid out in such an organized fashion - which makes sense, because Houston has no true zoning. Also, it seems like Houston has narrower streets throughout most of the city.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Seriously, IPAs are getting a little out of hand. I am like a half mile from the Stone Company Store and would drink there a few times a month - I had to put a stop to that for a while, for my waistband's sake. I love hops, but there are very few non-hoppy local beers. Golden Road has some good ones, but their Hef made me break out in hives, which was weird.

As far as Houston's development patterns resembling Los Angeles, I would love to see some pictures. It seems like some of the new mixed use buildings look similar. I wonder if Houston has the same insane parking requirements for their structures, and if so or if not, if a lot of parking is included when they are built. Because a lot of parking is included for LA mixed users.

The biggest difference between the cities, and perhaps an irreconcilable difference between the two cities, is that Los Angeles has that dense, enormous grid of arterial commercial streets that make the almost the entire city inherently semi-walkable, and often very walkable. Not that Houston does not have its walkable areas, but it does not seem like the streets are laid out in such an organized fashion - which makes sense, because Houston has no true zoning. Also, it seems like Houston has narrower streets throughout most of the city.
The density is increasing in Houston. My problem is not only what you say in bold, but the lack of sidewalks. It will stop Houston from ever becoming a walkable city. We spoke on this many times even in the Houston forum, but the lack of sidewalks just loses me. Sidewalks disappearing then reappearing. Some do not have sidewalks at all because people don't want it on their "property". I assume LA doesn't have this problem. Extremely walkable throughout most of the city. I haven't the slightest clue how anyone build neighborhoods without sidewalks.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:

Ironic considering the categories you gave Houston the nod in.

More manly
Better sports teams
Better BBQ and beer
Close access to Miami (Voltron: the Texas Edition)

Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The density is increasing in Houston. My problem is not only what you say in bold, but the lack of sidewalks. It will stop Houston from ever becoming a walkable city. We spoke on this many times even in the Houston forum, but the lack of sidewalks just loses me. Sidewalks disappearing then reappearing. Some do not have sidewalks at all because people don't want it on their "property". I assume LA doesn't have this problem. Extremely walkable throughout most of the city. I haven't the slightest clue how anyone build neighborhoods without sidewalks.
There are a few areas (outside of hillside neighborhoods like Silver Lake, Hollywood Hills, El Sereno) in LA without sidewalks, most noteably that I can think of is the inexplicable disappearance of the sidewalk on Sepulveda in areas through the Westside. But yeah other than that, every neighborhood has sidewalks. I got to agree, what were they thinking?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's crazy how most of Houston has like 3 feet wide sidewalks. They look like the type of sidewalks you would find in a random suburban subdivision where they know no one will be walking, but did it as an afterthought anyway. Downtown Houston may literally be the only area where it has normal size sidewalks.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's crazy how most of Houston has like 3 feet wide sidewalks. They look like the type of sidewalks you would find in a random suburban subdivision where they know no one will be walking, but did it as an afterthought anyway. Downtown Houston may literally be the only area where it has normal size sidewalks.
I've noticed out here in suburban areas of Los Angeles County, that their massive roads often have quite large sidewalks, and almost have bike lanes. Such a shame that places like that where no one walks or rides bicycles (outside of fun family rides) has decent multi-modal infrastructure. Of course, the roadway is also like 6 lanes across.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...cb5592fcf65d2f

(OK the sidewalks are pretty narrow here)

Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Well most new development especially the midsize apartments usually have wide sidewalks. In fact, it may be a requirement. So you will have developments in Midtown, Heights, Montrose, even Uptown with sidewalks. Many of the new developments with the new townhomes also have wide sidewalks. Outside of these areas plus Downtown and the Texas Medical center, you have narrow sidewalks and sidewalks that appear and disappear and sidewalks that don't exist period.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Ultimately Los Angeles if you can afford a house there, Houston if you can't. Both cities are somewhat similar in certain regards. Los Angeles has a glamorous side, and a working class side. The working class side, reminds me a little of Houston. Both have islands of urbanity, the only difference is the islands of urbanity in Houston are separated by a larger of ocean of suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City