Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: H-Town vs. L.A.
Los Angeles 483 66.53%
Houston 243 33.47%
Voters: 726. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 AM

572 posts, read 708,739 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't agree on Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
LA is vast, spread out, and has massive city limits too.

But within the sprawling beast of the city are pockets of very walkable areas that resemble slivers of very dense urban cities. Very few parts of Houston are like this.

Calling LA overall a "dense urban city" is a bit of an overstatement as it falls way behind in those regards to other big cities in the US (particularly New York, Boston, Chicago, Philly, DC, San Francisco and even Miami).

Rather, I'd say LA is FAR more dense and urban than Houston.
You must mean the core. Places like Miami and DC neighborhoods don't maintain density LA does

Old 01-24-2014, 12:39 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
No city (minus NY) maintains density the way Los Angeles does, including Chicago. Miami doesn't come close.

20,000 ppsm census tracts
Los Angeles: 1.9 million residents
Chicago 1.1 million

Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
No, I mean the entire city overall (and only the cities).

Greater LA is actually denser than the city of Los Angeles.

The metropolitan area of LA is the densest in the nation.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
No city (minus NY) maintains density the way Los Angeles does, including Chicago. Miami doesn't come close.

20,000 ppsm census tracts
Los Angeles: 1.9 million residents
Chicago 1.1 million
That's an extremely broad statement with the word "maintain". Many people would disagree. Perhaps, if what you're saying is true, LA has more people living in it's dense places than SF and Chicago. However, that is not surprising because LA is bigger than both. Overall, LA is not as dense as other US cities. Not even Long Beach.

Lets keep this to Houston vs. LA only anyway. I shouldn't have brought that statement about other cities up anyway, knew it would get many fellow SoCal people on here worked up.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Really? The way I hear it, Miami isn't that walkable at all outside of a few places. It has more walkable areas than LA Metro?

That's not what I've heard.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:49 AM

[quote=Nafster;33156470]That's an extremely broad statement with the word "maintain". Many people would disagree. Perhaps, if what you're saying is true, LA has more people living in it's dense places than SF and Chicago. However, that is not surprising because LA is bigger than both. Overall, LA is not as dense as other US cities. Not even Long Beach.

Lets keep this to Houston vs. LA only anyway. I shouldn't have brought that statement about other cities up anyway, knew it would get many fellow SoCal people on here worked up.[/quote]

Because it doesn't make sense.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:

LA has much larger boundaries than the cities you listed and has a mountain range bisecting it, that's why. If you cropped it down to Miami's size (35 sq miles), LA would have a density well over 20,000 ppsm. It's built density compares to Philly, strip malls and all. With the great proliferation of mixed-use projects sprouting all over the city, it will be even more built out by decade' end.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Really? The way I hear it, Miami isn't that walkable at all outside of a few places. It has more walkable areas than LA Metro?

That's not what I've heard.
This is the problem with LA on this board (and on this board only). People need to make up their mind when we talk about LA. Are we talking about LA metro or LA city? The two are not the same! (Though many would argue that it lacks clear differences between the city limits).

Everything besides the comment I made previously specifically talking about LA metro has been strictly about the CITY of LA.

The actual city of Miami is denser than the actual city of LA. And more walkable.

The actual city of LA is far more dense and walkable than the actual city of Houston (and for that matter, any city in the West and South except SF and Miami).

Walkscore is a great source to look for this info.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
This is the problem with LA on this board (and on this board only). People need to make up their mind when we talk about LA. Are we talking about LA metro or LA city? The two are not the same! (Though many would argue that it lacks clear differences between the city limits).

Everything besides the comment I made previously specifically talking about LA metro has been strictly about the CITY of LA.

The actual city of Miami is denser than the actual city of LA. And more walkable.

The actual city of LA is far more dense and walkable than the actual city of Houston (and for that matter, any city in the West and South except SF and Miami).

Walkscore is a great source to look for this info.
Miami is 35 sq miles. There's no way to logically compare it to a city over 470 sq miles. It would like comparing West Hollywood (2 sq miles, 18,000+ ppsm) to Miami.

Look at the number of residents who live in +90, +85, +80 neighborhoods in LA and MIA. It settles very quickly which is the more walkable city (WeHo scores an 89 btw).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City