U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: H-Town vs. L.A.
Los Angeles 313 66.88%
Houston 155 33.12%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Status: "Trying to think of something smart to say !" (set 14 days ago)

1,794 posts, read 922,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoWow77007 View Post
For the past few years, I've been planning to relocate from Houston to L.A to be closer to family. There are so many plus and minus to both cities. Not sure why all the back and forth arguments on here. There are no perfect city, it's more of how you gonna fit in and what you will experience there. both places are growing by 1 million plus every decade. Not so sure if one will be much better than the other. My friends who moved here from L.A really love it here and vice versa.
Well said BaoWow, thank you for this perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM

13,343 posts, read 14,178,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoWow77007 View Post
For the past few years, I've been planning to relocate from Houston to L.A to be closer to family. There are so many plus and minus to both cities. Not sure why all the back and forth arguments on here. There are no perfect city, it's more of how you gonna fit in and what you will experience there. both places are growing by 1 million plus every decade. Not so sure if one will be much better than the other. My friends who moved here from L.A really love it here and vice versa.
It's a measuring contest with some people.

BTW, I have to agree with Raymond. That first photo is impressive density. There isn't anything in the South touching that.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:55 PM

754 posts, read 307,740 times
I have no problem with Houston and I'm not trying to put it down. I love all cities and I'm thrilled that American cities in general have seen so much growth and improvement over the past few years. But when I see people on this thread tearing down LA in order to prop up Houston (I'm looking at you, Metro Matt), I'm not going to remain silent.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:21 PM

13,343 posts, read 14,178,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I have no problem with Houston and I'm not trying to put it down. I love all cities and I'm thrilled that American cities in general have seen so much growth and improvement over the past few years. But when I see people on this thread tearing down LA in order to prop up Houston (I'm looking at you, Metro Matt), I'm not going to remain silent.
I've mentioned that to him before. He continues to do it and there is no need for it.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM

12,302 posts, read 12,947,665 times
Quote:
Huh. Funny that Houston is ranked #20 to LA's #13 on SkyscraperPage, eh? I wonder why that is?
They're also counting LA's plethora of 10 story infill buildings.

Houston, on average has a taller skyline/s than LA. It the 3rd TALLEST US skyline after NYC & Chicago, respectively. This is a fact.

SSP may have it listed like that, but Emporis has it listed like so.

Existing buildings in Houston - 3,262

Existing buildings in Los Angeles - 1,782

Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

I love that "America's Space City" label he snuck in as well. Must be because Houston has JPL, SpaceX, and a retired shuttle on display. Oh wait...

Space Shuttle Endeavor

Space Shuttle Endeavor

SpaceX

JPL
Cool story bro.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...ter-prints.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8304/8...76ff27b4_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8178/8...fe35c95d_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/8...a7cda7ec_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8296/8...e1ea5164_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8173/8...2b471e8d_h.jpg
Jackson Myers on Flickr x 6

Last edited by JMT; 02-03-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM

2,592 posts, read 1,989,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
They're also counting LA's plethora of 10 story infill buildings.

Houston, on average has a taller skyline/s than LA. It the 3rd TALLEST US skyline after NYC & Chicago, respectively. This is a fact.
Not really.

The only fact is that Houston has two supertalls already built (300 meters or above) and another 250 meter plus tower in Uptown. Other than that in terms of height practically everywhere has caught up. Miami itself has two supertalls proposed, seeking FAA approval now, one of become the tallest outside New York and Chicago. Houston in general is infilling, en masse, it's now reached 80 buildings above 10 stories either under-construction or proposed, with a bulk of them set to get off the ground in a few months.

Los Angeles is as well making remodels to it's skyline. It's got it's second supertall under construction (taller than anything in Houston) and can in total numbers go head to head with Houston in this department. So let's keep it 100 here, Matt.

Anyhow this topic isn't really about skylines by itself and over the course of the years, Matt, you've demonstrated that you know next to nothing about Houston aside from what you read off Wikipedia or experienced by living far outside of the western half of the Inner Loop.

I see you talking about pointless things that would only amuse a child like the arches in Uptown instead of talking about actual mom-and-pop shopping boutiques or restaurants in Montrose or the Heights.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM

437 posts, read 183,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Not really.

The only fact is that Houston has two supertalls already built (300 meters or above) and another 250 meter plus tower in Uptown. Other than that in terms of height practically everywhere has caught up. Miami itself has two supertalls proposed, seeking FAA approval now, one of become the tallest outside New York and Chicago. Houston in general is infilling, en masse, it's now reached 80 buildings above 10 stories either under-construction or proposed, with a bulk of them set to get off the ground in a few months.

Los Angeles is as well making remodels to it's skyline. It's got it's second supertall under construction (taller than anything in Houston) and can in total numbers go head to head with Houston in this department. So let's keep it 100 here, Matt.

Anyhow this topic isn't really about skylines by itself and over the course of the years, Matt, you've demonstrated that you know next to nothing about Houston aside from what you read off Wikipedia or experienced by living far outside of the western half of the Inner Loop.

I see you talking about pointless things that would only amuse a child like the arches in Uptown instead of talking about actual mom-and-pop shopping boutiques or restaurants in Montrose or the Heights.
well said +1

Edit: have to spread some love before giving you another rep.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Not really.

Too bad its floor count will be 2 floors less than Houston's tallest. Thought you had me there huh?

You wanna keep it real lets keep it real. You forgot to mention that antenna. To make it fair lets throw in One Shell Plaza's antenna effectively giving Houston 3 supertalls downtown to LA's 2.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM

754 posts, read 307,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
^^^^ Love that first pic in Koreatown.
Thanks. Its from the rooftop of my old apartment in K-town. It was only 8 stories but it is on a little hill with no obstructions around it so it had a pretty great 360 view:

Towards heart of K-town:
http://i3.minus.com/iStS3PKWPmgAS.png

Towards Downtown LA
http://i6.minus.com/iTAzMbFONMi9p.png

Towards the Westside
http://i.minus.com/ihvfGN3xe3QYL.png

A few months ago we bought a place downtown. The rooftop doesn't have the 360 degree thing going for it but it has a nice up-close view of the DTLA skyline:

http://i5.minus.com/iZ6M7k3UTBgy6.png
http://i1.minus.com/ibdeul8PRnSHYO.png

Last edited by JMT; 02-04-2014 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Images are too large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City