Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
It's not Portland??? I realize Houston doesn't have the cult status nor is as pretty as Portland, but Houston offers so much more and is a much higher caliber city than Portland.
I agree 100%. The poster who was bashing Houston is somebody whom I assume would be a Portland booster. I would rather live in Houston than Portland. Owning and having to get around using a car doesn't bother me in the least bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 04:05 PM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Here at CD?

Most liked:
Atlanta
Dallas
Boston
Houston
SD
Nashville
Minneapolis

Balanced (supporter wise)
Phoenix
Philadelphia
Denver
KC
SF
LA
San Antonio
Baltimore
Miami

Most disliked:
Chicago
Austin
Seattle
DC
NYC
Portland

I'm forgetting a few I'm sure. Those are generally neutral imo.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 05-16-2023 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 04:16 PM

829 posts, read 451,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Here at CD?

Most liked:
Atlanta
Dallas
Boston
Houston
SD
Nashville
Minneapolis

Phoenix
Philadelphia
Denver
KC
SF
LA
San Antonio
Baltimore
Miami

Most disliked:
Chicago
Austin
Seattle
DC
NYC
Portland

Dallas and Houston most liked?? Chicago, Seattle, DC, NYC most disliked? Are we on the same CD?

Old 05-16-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Dallas and Houston most liked?? Chicago, Seattle, DC, NYC most disliked? Are we on the same CD?
*checks url

Yep. We are.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Quote:
Here at CD?

Most liked:
Atlanta
Dallas
Boston
Houston
SD
Nashville
Minneapolis

Phoenix
Philadelphia
Denver
KC
SF
LA
San Antonio
Baltimore
Miami

Most disliked:
Chicago
Austin
Seattle
DC
NYC
Portland

I would add the most disliked to most liked and remove Minneapolis from most liked.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:34 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Yeah it’s all confirmation bias of everybody on here. The guys from Houston and Dallas all think their cities are being shatted on while the guys from Seattle and SF think the same thing is happening to their cities on here.

I actually think CD is pretty moderate and has a healthy balance of suburbanite strip mall lovers and urbanists. This isn’t Reddit, so let’s not pretend it is. Anytime there’s a pro-Seattle post, the detractors easily match the boosters. Same for the Sunbelt cities. The only time places like Dallas lose out unanimously is when we are talking about scenery or nature, but that’s well deserved.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Yeah it’s all confirmation bias of everybody on here. The guys from Houston and Dallas all think their cities are being shatted on while the guys from Seattle and SF think the same thing is happening to their cities on here.

I actually think CD is pretty moderate and has a healthy balance of suburbanite strip mall lovers and urbanists. This isn’t Reddit, so let’s not pretend it is. Anytime there’s a pro-Seattle post, the detractors easily match the boosters. Same for the Sunbelt cities. The only time places like Dallas lose out unanimously is when we are talking about scenery or nature, but that’s well deserved.
It’s just one poster but someone posted Dallas was a good town for skiers.

Forgot Pittsburgh. Very well liked here

Old 05-16-2023, 07:35 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
It's true when specifically talking about urbanist/YIMBY circles. You'd never see your standard bike lane and LVT proponents on Twitter arguing that DFW or Charlotte are good cities just because they're diverse, or that Phoenix, Tucson, or Boise are good cities because of their natural amenities.

(I do think this forum is right for considering a bigger variety of factors and reasons that people might want to move somewhere, FWIW. I think this place is much more representative of "mainstream America" than those circles)

Old 05-16-2023, 08:27 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
Here at CD?

Most liked
Atlanta
Dallas
Boston
Houston
SD
Nashville
Minneapolis

Phoenix
Philadelphia
Denver
KC
SF
LA
San Antonio
Baltimore
Miami

Most disliked:
Chicago
Austin
Seattle
DC
NYC
Portland

And Memphis would probably get mentioned in 3.....2.......1

Houston? Dallas ? Most liked on CD? Really? They frequently lose Polls to the Urban Northeast cities or any Urban City for that matter since this is a mostly urban site. Seattle gives them a hard time with CD polls too. Dallas is often cited as Bland, Houston to a smaller degree but Houston's food scene is often raved about on here, other than that I'm not sure we're looking at the same CD from my experience. Other than Dallas homers I don't see much reverence for Dallas on CD but in real life Dallas is loved with all the population growth

But I do see a lot of love for Austin on here

Chicago disliked? Chicago is one of the Most Loved cities on here. Consistency Winning Poll after Poll, It's A Urban City on A Urban Website. Sure Every Now and Than it gets flack for being Crime not being Naturely enough outside of Lake Michigan with the lack of Mountains and hiking and with San Francisco Dallas Houston chasing it's tail. But Chicago ranks high on CD show me a poll on CD that Chicago has lost besides
ones with New York or L.A

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 05-16-2023 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 08:37 PM

9,864 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

Yes I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City