Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit vs Oklahoma City
Detroit 73 66.36%
Oklahoma City 37 33.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Without turning this into a political debate and keeping it solely focused on these cities, Republicans are incredibly unpopular with the young, 'hip' crowd and OKC's conservatism really hurts it with the demographic it needs the most. Most will take Detroit's corrupt blue dog Democrats over OKC's Republicans.
Ya but Detroit's politics/unions aren't your typical democrats. They symbolize the absolute worst of the party and they're the reason the city has failed. I honestly don't know enough about OKC politics though...I do loathe the extreme right. What's so bad about OKC?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What's so bad about OKC?
Its more of an image issue. OKC has a few loudmouth social conservative politicians that have really given the city a bad image politically. It isn't the only city that deals with that kind of thing, its just more publicized given Oklahoma's state stereotype. The positive thing for OKC is most of those politicians are state representatives and the city politicians i.e. Mayor Cornett and the city council actually work very well, for the most part focusing on issues at hand and staying out of wedge social issues.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM

494 posts, read 804,096 times
Quote:
I agree 100% with this. I am currently stuck in OKC for my job and above anything else this has me really wanting to move. However, only two of those tornadoes went through major populated areas, both having hit Moore. The average tornado isn't near as destructive. Supposedly its an anomaly as before 1999, OKC hadn't seen a direct hit from an F5 since the 1950s.

Moore has had 2 EF 5 as you said but as well a ef4 ( 2003 ) which is almost the same thing. The other ef5 was on the nw side of the city but my understanding is it is not as populated there. And then another just se of the city and or just ne of Moore.

*EDIT* This map goes further back then 1999 and thus why it is showing more EF 5 tornadoes plus some were EF 4..

Here is the Oklahoma City map of all tornadoes/tracks..

Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
See below..

Correct and the comeback may be huge. The blight etc that has plagued it is about to be wiped out via funding from the feds etc with help from the governor going to bat for it. That will spur a ton of new growth as well. The whole state of Michigan has a very bright outlook thanks to what the governor is doing.
Forgive me for being a pessimist, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard the same song and dance from quite a few struggling cities. Some cities turn around...others continue to slide.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Moore has had 2 EF 5 as you said but as well a ef4 ( 2003 ) which is almost the same thing. The other ef5 was on the nw side of the city but my understanding is it is not as populated there. And then another just se of the city and or just ne of Moore.

*EDIT* This map goes further back then 1999 and thus why it is showing more EF 5 tornadoes plus some were EF 4..

Here is the Oklahoma City map of all tornadoes/tracks..
Yeah, it really is a frightening thing. A lot of people who live here compare it to living in hurricane prone areas. Hurricanes actually do more damage than tornadoes but you have several days to evacuate and mentally prepare before they hit. Tornadoes are sudden and that makes them much more frightening.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Forgive me for being a pessimist, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard the same song and dance from quite a few struggling cities. Some cities turn around...others continue to slide.
I agree. I really hope Detroit can turn itself around and once again become one of America's great cities, but its something that has been talked about for a while yet progress remains slow.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
I agree. I really hope Detroit can turn itself around and once again become one of America's great cities, but its something that has been talked about for a while yet progress remains slow.
Absolutely. I hate to see them struggle. I'm just not convinced that the turn has been made. Perhaps the bleeding is slowing a bit, though.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Absolutely. I hate to see them struggle. I'm just not convinced that the turn has been made. Perhaps the bleeding is slowing a bit, though.
A real turn around takes a long time to accomplish though. I would say OKC is just now turning a corner even if most of America doesn't know it yet. However, it all started back in 1993 when the first MAPS initiative was passed. It took 20 years to start seeing the real results of what was envisioned and there is still a LONG way to go. Hopefully the recent initiatives in Detroit is the start of something that will really show its fruit in the coming decades.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM

406 posts, read 768,320 times
Quote:
slow? not actually. And really Detroit hasn't had any continuous effort to turn the city around. Project here & there but nothing like the last 5 years

Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM

Detroit has a huge head start on OKC as well, even if that turn-around isn't fully realized yet. As said in another thread, it still has the bones of a great American city. OKC destroyed their downtown in the 1970s and are basically having to rebuild it from scratch.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/219/pullmans1953coc.jpg

This is OKC in the 1950s, with a downtown, though not as tall, looks significantly more attractive than it does today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.