Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. New Orleans
New Orleans 48 39.67%
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
maybe if you "drive" down peach tree, if you walked down it you would see how dead it was going east and west, i've walked that route through midtown and been like the only person out on the street then have to cross a bridge over the interstate to get to atlantic station...
I can go through my own personal pictures and post plenty vacant looking pics of downtown and midtown in prime areas. Downtown has some foot traffic in the day but almost completely dead at night unless there is an event going on. Midtown is the opposite, almost completely dead in the day but busy at night b/c of bars and the gay scene there.

New Orleans in comparison is busy over a wider swath and in multiple directions with less gaps caused by parking lots and interstates on both sides (west of midtown, between them, then east of downtown)
No one is claiming Atlanta is an urban paradise,but New Orleans is not either.Just because SOMETHING is there does not mean its better than nothing.Parking lots may not be desireable but at least they serve a purposeN.O . has many rundown areas AND empty lots next to rundown undeveloped areas.
Camden NJ has urbanity too.(no im not saying New Orleans is like Camden)

Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
This much is truth. There was one N.O. poster in particular, who always methodically refuted anyone's claims that any city shared similarities with N.O in any type of way, no matter how mundane. Savannah, Mobile, Charleston... those are all southern towns, but N.O. is a Northeastern city dropped in the South! There's nothing even remotely close to it, nothing I say!

Having spent the better part of two years trotting about New Orleans, I can say (with an unbiased tongue, since I love both), that N.O. is great, and actually surpasses Atlanta in specific areas... but overall, there's really no competition. I also agree that N.O. feels slower, even with more foot traffic in the core. It's a city that truly embraces a much more laid back way of life. There is nothing wrong with that, and IMO, is an integral part of the allure associated with the city to begin with, so why attempt to refute it here when the average New Orleanian will concede, it's a slow place, and that's how we want it to stay.

Atlanta on the other hand, while it isn't NYC or SF, is far more business oriented... overrun with movers and shaker types relative to N.O.; people looking to get ahead by any means necessary. Before someone spins my point, that is not to say that N.O. is void of this, but the hustler vibe, to me, is far more palpable in and around Atlanta. That is partly why Atlanta is often discribed as an overly pretentious place, the unmitigated antethesis of New Orleans.

Both great cities, and New Orleans punches far beyond its weight, but Atlanta is a monster in comparison.
I wouldn't describe New Orleans as slow, though. While it's not on the same level, the pace is closer to Houston or Atlanta than it is Savannah or Charleston, surprisingly enough.

It is indeed a bustling city, and I stand by my statement that the culture and vibrancy have a larger than life appeal. What annie and rcp don't seem to understand, though, is that those things are only PART of big city life. There are several aspects to which New Orleans does not come close to Atlanta in.

Hell, Houston having such a leg up in amenities is a big part of the reason we were able to provide a wealth of support to NO after Katrina. And New Orleanians are still moving here for the opportunity to do things they couldn't do in their hometown. No one makes a move from Houston to New Orleans for any other reason than the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

But those cities don't have large urban districts and high rises. Grapico is right, it's not a hard concept to grasp. When on Main St in TMC, you feel like you're in a huge city but not when you are on Cullen, Griggs, or Shepard.
Who made you the authority on what someone else feels?

Quote:
I guess Uptown is suburban yet Uptown Houston is urban.
Never said that. I never even suggested it.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 PM

I'm very proud of the strides New Orleans is making.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Try Magazine Street...

Just because you "think" that cant be true does not make it so...
8 miles from Downtown has you in the suburbs or The East.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
^ No doubt, Atlanta is far more thriving and way more opportunity in general. I was just saying the core area of New Orleans can pretty much go toe to toe with Atlanta, it can go head to head in culture also if not beat Atlanta in that, after that it gets dusted in other categories.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
^ No doubt, Atlanta is far more thriving and way more opportunity in general. I was just saying the core area of New Orleans can pretty much go toe to toe with Atlanta, it can go head to head in culture also if not beat Atlanta in that, after that it gets dusted in other categories.
Yep, but there's always more than culture and partying. The best cities in the world generally excel in all categories. New Orleans isn't a business center at all and mainly a working class city. It's rare you will find someone move to NO for a big time job. I mean, there's a reason why ATL's metro growth is 10x higher then N.O. growth. Culture is a small aspect of the average human's life.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
How can you people be dodging the 800 lbs gorilla in the room and downplaying a big city like this? Just because its less walkable than 5 blocks in NOLA? Pffft.

TBH, Atlanta being a metro of 6M means it has dibs on the amenities that come with a big city. The flight connections, foreign airlines, consulates (yes this is a big deal to those of us that are immigrants and travel btw), foreign groceries, and hoardes of celebrity tours from musicians and actors from other countries like Heero Jae Jong, Lights, etc actually booking events in major cities.

If you can live with small and pass over then maybe somewhere like Greenville or Savannah is the place for you but I WANT more in life and what I want only a big city can give!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yep, but there's always more than culture and partying. The best cities in the world generally excel in all categories. New Orleans isn't a business center at all and mainly a working class city. It's rare you will find someone move to NO for a big time job. I mean, there's a reason why ATL's metro growth is 10x higher then N.O. growth. Culture is a small aspect of the average human's life.
But should take a much larger part.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
8 miles from Downtown has you in the suburbs or The East.
If you head uptown ~6 miles it has you around Tulane University with much walkable retail and neighborhoods with densities over 10,000 ppsm.

Why should people take your word over mine, someone who has lived her their entire life and studies cities for a living...

Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Hmm... definite point. New Orleans has a very strong blue collar culture when going out to local places... I know many people like it, but people are too extroverted/blue collar there for me. While I'm not a huge fan of the layout of Atlanta, I generally fit in better with the more white collar/professional/progressive crowd there. I know several people in New Orleans dispersed in the quarter, uptown and marigny... the 5 that live in the city all work at bars or coffee shops (all college degrees mind you.) The other 2 live in the suburbs and work normal jobs located in the suburbs. I think you have to have some weird mix of bohemianism/bawdy fabulousness to really fit in there.

Last edited by grapico; 08-27-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City