Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. New Orleans
New Orleans 48 39.67%
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well it's not a bad area, but I wouldn't say that. A grand opportunity was missed with Buckhead, especially with the presence of MARTA in the area. With some vision, it could have turned out more like Ballston instead of TC or UH.
How many Suburbs have 48 story buildings at 665ft in them?Tallest buiding in Tysons Corner is 24 stories at 225ft.
In fact there are 20(TWENTY) buildings taller than the tallest building on Tysons Corner.
You are the one that said built environment.
I would add that Buckhead iat 3400/per sq
is sinificantly dDENSER
Tyson's
average density of 2,170.8/sq mi
So if we go by what you said,thats a huge difference in the built environment.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I understand what connectivity is. I also understand that it has nothing to do with the point I'm making and the burden of proof is on you to show otherwise.

Yeah, I stopped reading right there. And clearly "urbanized" in that entry essentially means "developed," just as one would call a suburb like Alpharetta "urbanized." Has nothing to do with the built environment because no one in their right mind would call Buckhead very urban.

The finer points of an argument are clearly lost on you, so allow me to repeat myself.

Earlier in this thread, I said "The entirety of Buckhead is a mixed bag, consisting of a small, older commercial district, an upscale residential neighborhood, and an edge city-type commercial district (it would be categorized as a boomer according to your list). When talking about Buckhead, most people are referring to the commercial heart of the district which is the largest part experiencing the most growth, which has much more in common with, say, Tyson's Corner than with downtown Atlanta." I made it perfectly clear, and continued to do so throughout the course of this discussion, that I am referring to the commercial core of Buckhead, and not the entire area. I never said Buckhead as a whole was an edge city, but that the commercial core is built like an edge city's. The built form of that commercial core shares many similarities with Tysons Corner or Uptown Houston with large setbacks, a large amount of surface parking, a big mall (with surface parking), etc. The major difference as far as Tysons Corner goes is wide arterials which might make the commercial district of Buckhead just a little more walkable but not significantly so.
YOU were referring to that but that was not what you responded to!Those other two obviously said Buckhead is suburban!They still are saying that because it seems YOU are supporting thae notion that Buckhead is SUBURBAN!
Instead of just saying as I did:"that it had elements of both but is NOT suburban"(the initial comment responded to)You went on about agreeing with the others.They said NOTHING about a "commercial core".
So maybe im not getting you because you did not disagree with them.You are in fact supporting the area as being suburban.Is that not what you are saying?Is it or NOT Suburban?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
YOU were referring to that but that was not what you responded to!Those other two obviously said Buckhead is suburban!They still are saying that because it seems YOU are supporting thae notion that Buckhead is SUBURBAN!
Instead of just saying as I did:"that it had elements of both but is NOT suburban"(the initial comment responded to)You went on about agreeing with the others.They said NOTHING about a "commercial core".
So maybe im not getting you because you did not disagree with them.You are in fact supporting the area as being suburban.Is that not what you are saying?Is it or NOT Suburban?
Dude, my words spoke loud and clear and I went into detail in explaining my thoughts on the matter. If you didn't get that, then that's on you because there was no ambiguity on my part. Again, it's all about the finer points of argumentation in which reading comprehension is critical.

For the last time, when people say "Buckhead is suburban," they are mainly referring to the built form of the commercial core which highly resembles that of a typical edge city. In that respect, they are essentially right.

Just like an entire city can have both suburban and urban elements, so can districts/neighborhoods within those cities. I didn't think this very elementary and generally understood point needed to be explicitly stated.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How many Suburbs have 48 story buildings at 665ft in them?Tallest buiding in Tysons Corner is 24 stories at 225ft.
In fact there are 20(TWENTY) buildings taller than the tallest building on Tysons Corner.
You are the one that said built environment.
I would add that Buckhead iat 3400/per sq
is sinificantly dDENSER
Tyson's
average density of 2,170.8/sq mi
So if we go by what you said,thats a huge difference in the built environment.
Again, you missed the entire point.

This is beyond tiresome.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Again, you missed the entire point.

This is beyond tiresome.
Well stop being stubborn and realize Im right and you're wrong.Its better for you.Just give in......Let it go and repeat after me:Im wrong,youre right AFONEGA1.I don't know what the hell im talking about.
Do that 3x and rinse.
Im not a Doctor but ......

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Any rational Atlantans in the house?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Says the overzealous New Orleanean who thinks NO is on par with Atlanta and Houston..Talk about "pot and kettle
Did you not also disagree when someone said New Orleans is a suburban type city?Even I agree that Atlanta and every major city outside of the Northeast almost are suburban.Nola might be less so than Atlanta but come on.Irrational?You think?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You calling me irrational?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You calling me irrational?
Just to be clear.I got what you were saying the first time."Aniie Oakley" thought Buckhead was a suburb.Thats why I was saying what I said because you did not state that.So I did.I got your point but we were both making our own points clear.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Atlanta for liveability and diversity.

New Orleans for character and uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City