U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. New Orleans
New Orleans 48 39.67%
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM

395 posts, read 173,617 times
New Orleans easily. Atlanta is an overhyped city. And I see some saying atl is bigger than N.O....its actually not geographically...check google on square mileage. N.O. had more people within the city limits before katrina hit...katrina knocked our population but we're growing every month...20, 000 resident increase in 2 years ...and those aren't all old residents....atl does have us on metro pop. though

Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM

10,872 posts, read 8,520,676 times
City population is useless. If New Orleans had the city size of Memphis, Jax, or Houston it would be more like 600k. Atlanta would probably be closer to a million.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 PM

1,652 posts, read 761,584 times
Atl is a mcuh bigger metropolis and has the busiest airport in the world. If your business depends on air shipments or local market, then Atl is the clear winner for business.

I'm native to N.O. but left for the Great Northwest after university partially becasue the job opportunities were so poor in Louisiana ath the time. According to what I have read and heard from relatives, that has changed and N.O. is an up and coming city. Agree that N.O. would be more interesting and imho more fun than ATL with a better balance between work/play.

So if I were choosing based on economics, then ATl but if choosing based on culture, then The Big Easy.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 AM

1,648 posts, read 956,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
City population is useless. If New Orleans had the city size of Memphis, Jax, or Houston it would be more like 600k. Atlanta would probably be closer to a million.
Actually using atlanta s urbanized area 600 sq miles it would be well over a million . Atlantas urbanized area is at 4 million people in 1200 sq miles.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,028,982 times
New Orleans is in the same league as Vegas IMHO. It's a great place to play but not so great of a place to live. Atlanta is the better more balanced city and not just some tourist trap.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 AM

1,214 posts, read 500,903 times
This is a hard one... I love visiting New Orleans but I'm not sure if I would live there, it has a good deal of crime and drugs problems that I wouldn't want to live around. But it also has some very fine looking women, so that's a plus.

Atlanta is a pretty big city and I would like living closer to my family. But my favorite place in Georgia is Savanna and Jekyll Island.

I guess I would say New Orleans just for the hell of it.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:37 AM

10,872 posts, read 8,520,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
New Orleans is in the same league as Vegas IMHO. It's a great place to play but not so great of a place to live. Atlanta is the better more balanced city and not just some tourist trap.
New Orleans blows Vegas out of the water as far as liveability. There is only 1 tourist trap in New Orleans, the Vieux Carre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
This is a hard one... I love visiting New Orleans but I'm not sure if I would live there, it has a good deal of crime and drugs problems that I wouldn't want to live around. But it also has some very fine looking women, so that's a plus.

Atlanta is a pretty big city and I would like living closer to my family. But my favorite place in Georgia is Savanna and Jekyll Island.

Crime is probably on par with Jacksonville, suburbs are just as safe as St. Aug. The murder rate is high, but crime isn't even in the top 20. The only time you are a victim is if you do something you shouldn't do, just like in every city.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM

10,686 posts, read 6,351,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Crime is probably on par with Jacksonville, suburbs are just as safe as St. Aug. The murder rate is high, but crime isn't even in the top 20. The only time you are a victim is if you do something you shouldn't do, just like in every city.
Let's not overexaggerate here. Plenty of innocent, law-abiding people are victims of crime every day.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Let's not overexaggerate here. Plenty of innocent, law-abiding people are victims of crime every day.
Like in any big city

Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post

As a metro its big...the city itself isn't that large
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.