Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM

406 posts, read 768,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Detroit has one of the richest musical histories of any city in the U.S. (Motown, Jazz, Rock and Roll). Lots of culture. By rights it should still be a great city. But the decline of the auto industry and corrupt politicians did it in. It should take a page out of Pittsburgh's book to see how to re-invent itself.
actually no, Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh. We don't need to remodel ourselves after any city. We need to be Detroit at our highest potential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Culturally I pick Detroit (especially music and food) but as far as geographical terrain Pittsburgh. It depends on what I'm looking for.

Detroit has the great lakes for boating/fishing. Pittsburgh has brown rivers.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
actually no, Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh. We don't need to remodel ourselves after any city. We need to be Detroit at our highest potential
I don't mean Detroit should try to be another Pittsburgh but it should diversify its' economy like Pittsburgh has. For many years Pittsburgh was basically just a steel town. When the steel industry went into decline so did Pittsburgh. It's the same with Detroit and the auto industry. I'm pulling for Detroit and would like to see it make a comeback.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
That might just be my next status here on CD.

r small: Your correct. A diversified economy is the way to go. There have been alot of investments in tech jobs lately. I think their even making "Techtown" pretty attractive these days.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Detroit has the great lakes for boating/fishing. Pittsburgh has brown rivers.
No, the rivers aren't brown.

(I took the picture myself, so lay off.)

Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No, the rivers aren't brown.

(I took the picture myself, so lay off.)

Where are the boats and people fishing?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Where are the boats and people fishing?
That picture was taken on a Wednesday afternoon in September, so most people were at work, not boating. The boats come out on weekends, and for sporting events and other special occasions. Here's a Saturday evening during a Pirates game:

Here's a Sunday afternoon after a Steelers game:

And anytime there's activity at Point State Park, you're bound to find some boats on the water. It gets especially crowded on the rivers during the Independence Day holiday break, and also during the Three Rivers Regatta. There are plenty of sculls on the Allegheny River during most months of the year too.

As for fishing, not many people fish on the rivers, but they are fishable, considering the 2005 Bassmaster Classic took place there.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:07 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I've been to Detroit several times...it's a dilapidated city and it seems the only people who live there do so begrudgingly because they're unable to move. Yes, it's that bad...crime and unemployment are rampant.

Pittsburgh has much more to offer, although it's ranked as the 2nd cloudiest major city in the US...VERY gloomy weather. Someone moving there from a sunny city will find it difficult to adjust. Wages are also some of the lowest in the country
Cost of living is pretty low in Pittsburgh though and there are still some very nice parts of Detroit like the University District, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, East English Village and Sherwood Forest, among some others.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
maybe this thread should've been metro pittsburgh vs. metro detroit.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
This really a question? Pittsburgh is a gem. Beautiful city.

Detroit, is well self explanatory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City