Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMurphy View Post
Thank you all so much for your help! I think I am leaning toward New Orleans but I am a bit concerned about crime... Which makes me think Charleston or Richmond instead. Your replies are appreciated.

Emily
As long as you don't sell dope or walk around in the hood at night, crime will not affect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
As long as you don't sell dope or walk around in the hood at night, crime will not affect you.
Now let's not go overboard here; plenty of innocent, law-abiding people who don't wander around the hood at night have been victims of crime. That said, like any place, most crime tends to be relegated to certain parts of town.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Never been to Richmond or Charleston but both are smaller cities (but more affordable).

Most incorrect statement ever.

One is some colonial port town.

The other is a Mid size/large modern city.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post

Charleston is obviously the smallest of the bunch going by metro population, with Richmond and New Orleans being about the same size.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post

Charleston just some 'colonial port town'? Now that is an incorrect statement.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,758 times
Alexandria is pretty nice, very old, decent size (150K) with a population density 5 times that of New Orleans and a much lower crime rate. In addition, it's right on the water (Potomac), and you can utilize various forms of transportation (Metro, Water Taxi, Buses) to go to other DC or Arlington as well. The core is centered on an 18 block stretch of great restaurants, bars and boutique shopping .

The crime is basically non-existent in the touristy parts, and overall very low for the rest of it.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,277 times
Where did you decide to go? I used to live in Richmond, VA, and grew to love it! Once I became established in the city and made friends there was a lot of porch sitting/hanging out, the seasons are beatiful, and there are many many new and upcoming restaurants and dessert shops as well as some older established bars and nightlife in the fan area where I used to live. As far as good book shops, there are several. Carytown has 'Chop Suey Books' you can pop in to, while meandering the street on a weekend shopping and eating 'handmade ice cream' from Bev's. There's also a historic book store in the fan that features many classic novels and they even have some first editions, for collectors! One thing I liked about Richmond is the James river - which flows through Richmond and also separates the main city from a small island called 'Belle Isle' which features like a 3-4 mile walking path. Lots of people also go here in the summer to hang out and maybe kayak in the Rapids, if you're in to outdoorsy stuff.

Seriously, I'm speaking most about Richmond because I lived there. I've been to New Orleans once, which was really fun and definitely has its 'own culture'. It's a southern city with a lot of character and we were hanging out in the French quarter where there are lots of very yummy restaurants, bars and nightlife, and those people don't take a break when it comes to having fun! It's a really fun city with lots of culture. They even have a street that's closed off at night so everyone just walks around from restaurants to bars on cobblestone pathways. It's also a very 'walkable' city from what I've gathered with old fashioned train cars for transportation if needed!

I also visited DC a few times when living in Richmond, and yes it is a huge metropolitan area with countless museums, restaurants and things to do. I bet if you're going for a 'big city' vibe then maybe Alexandria would be the place for you.

Would be curious to know which one you chose, and your thoughts!

Old 05-06-2015, 01:13 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,609 times
wCan't go wrong with Charleston, leave those big cities alone.
Charm and easy living.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:57 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,966 times
Do yourself a favor and check out Richmond, lots of good things happening with food, art and economic development.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:00 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Alexandria/DC area will be the least cultural shock for you probably since it the area is really just an extension of the Northeast. The real dirty south doesn't start until you get south of Stafford/Fredericksburg, VA.
The "dirty south", really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City