Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 AM

406 posts, read 768,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginian101 View Post
You glorify the fact your beloved city is losing population, but since there's two others, it isn't a bad thing at all. Ok.
WTF are you going on about? the point of this thread is to ask Clevelanders why they keep bringing up Detroit. Not about the state of Detroit. So the **** what! Detroit and Cleveland suffer from some of the same issues. Who cares if one is slightly better than the other? it took a recession on top of all of Detroit's problems to push it behind Cleveland but you know what we didn't do? Yell about how "atleast we are not Cleveland" everytime somebody pointed out our issues. what is even your point in commenting on this thread? like I said get a life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
You clearly do not. You created this thread asking why Clevelanders say they're not as bad as Detroit. Then whenever other posters bring you back to reality, you try to "cover up" the real Detroit, giving the impression everything is perfectly fine and we're just looking at the wrong parts of the city. Any city can say they're not as bad as Detroit... because they're not.
no, the point of this thread is to ask why they feel the need to bash Detroit to make their city look better? and where the hell did I try to cover up anything to make it look like everything is perfect? the only people to come on here talking about "the state of Detroit" and Detroit being an example of failure are you and Daniel. If you can't answer the question don't comment...end of discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM

416 posts, read 581,157 times
I can understand why people who grew up in or live(d) in Detroit feel the need to defend it. I can understand why people who left the city (like my parents) might have strong criticisms. I can even understand why nearby cities facing similar problems might poke fun at Detroit. I get it. What I cannot understand is why people who have never lived there, never visited (except for work or a ball game), and have no intention of doing either in the future feel the need to endlessly excoriate Detroit. What is the point? What are you trying to prove? Why not focus on your own city instead of one that you know nothing about except for what you read in the newspaper or see on YouTube?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
I can understand why people who grew up in or live(d) in Detroit feel the need to defend it. I can understand why people who left the city (like my parents) might have strong criticisms. I can even understand why nearby cities facing similar problems might poke fun at Detroit. I get it. What I cannot understand is why people who have never lived there, never visited (except for work or a ball game), and have no intention of doing either in the future feel the need to endlessly excoriate Detroit. What is the point? What are you trying to prove? Why not focus on your own city instead of one that you know nothing about except for what you read in the newspaper or see on YouTube?
DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! I agree with everything in this post.

What I defend is the ridiculous crap said about Detroit from some of these posters from time to time. Like how they ask you to watch Youtube videos showing some ghettos of Detroit and want to pretend like Detroit is even close to having the majority of it's neighborhoods looking like that. And the people who never even been want to sit there and act like experts on Detroit and even have the audacity to try and tell us how we and people we see and talk to everyday live our lives in Detroit. THAT'S that sh*t I don't like.

Last edited by MS313; 06-21-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM

89 posts, read 118,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
WTF are you going on about? the point of this thread is to ask Clevelanders why they keep bringing up Detroit. Not about the state of Detroit. So the **** what! Detroit and Cleveland suffer from some of the same issues. Who cares if one is slightly better than the other? it took a recession on top of all of Detroit's problems to push it behind Cleveland but you know what we didn't do? Yell about how "atleast we are not Cleveland" everytime somebody pointed out our issues. what is even your point in commenting on this thread? like I said get a life
I've never seen any Clevelander claim they aren't as bad as Detroit. If you didn't want opinions, don't create threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
no, the point of this thread is to ask why they feel the need to bash Detroit to make their city look better? and where the hell did I try to cover up anything to make it look like everything is perfect? the only people to come on here talking about "the state of Detroit" and Detroit being an example of failure are you and Daniel. If you can't answer the question don't comment...end of discussion
Your attitude represents Detroit well. It's just as bad as the city.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 AM

416 posts, read 581,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
And the people who never even been want to sit there and act like experts on Detroit and even have the audacity to try and tell us how we and people we see and talk to everyday live our lives in Detroit. THAT'S that sh*t I don't like.
They're a bunch of clowns. They don't know anything about the city's great neighborhoods. They don't know anything about its great parks, its great food, or its great music festivals. I'm not sure what motivates these people. They need to find something better to do with their time than badmouth places they know nothing about.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
I've never seen any Clevelander claim they aren't as bad as Detroit. If you didn't want opinions, don't create threads.

Your attitude represents Detroit well. It's just as bad as the city.
Bashing, especially by outsiders, is not "opinion" at all. It is just bullying which most people outgrow at some point, while others continue the indulgence into adulthood - especially enjoyable from a place of concealment. Childish and adolescent urges really remain with us, and in adults these are overcome by mental discipline.
The satisfaction derived is short-lived, inconsequential, and that is what true adults come to realize.
I'm not sure that Clevelanders bash Detroit more than any others, or that other cities don't get the same treatment - in fact I know they do. Pointing fingers is mainly an exercise in either bullying or diverting attention - nothing else.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM

89 posts, read 118,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Bashing, especially by outsiders, is not "opinion" at all. It is just bullying which most people outgrow at some point, while others continue the indulgence into adulthood - especially enjoyable from a place of concealment. Childish and adolescent urges really remain with us, and in adults these are overcome by mental discipline.
The satisfaction derived is short-lived, inconsequential, and that is what true adults come to realize.
I'm not sure that Clevelanders bash Detroit more than any others, or that other cities don't get the same treatment - in fact I know they do. Pointing fingers is mainly an exercise in either bullying or diverting attention - nothing else.
I didn't bash Detroit? If anything, you should be saying that to detroit's own, as she was pointing the finger at Clevelanders. Not me. Have a great day, boo.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't bash Detroit? If anything, you should be saying that to detroit's own, as she was pointing the finger at Clevelanders. Not me. Have a great day, boo.
there are plenty posts on here from Clevelanders who bring up Detroit all of the time. I'm not about to argue with you. Like I said. you didn't even contribute all you came to do was talk crap about Detroit. For any posters to constantly put down another city to make theirs look better is ridiculous. I don't see Pittburgh going "Atleast we're not Cleveland" when someone points out their flaws. Its like a person 40lbs overweight talking crap about someone who is 50lbs overweight. Its pointless, at the end both are still fat. smh

Old 06-21-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
They're a bunch of clowns. They don't know anything about the city's great neighborhoods. They don't know anything about its great parks, its great food, or its great music festivals. I'm not sure what motivates these people. They need to find something better to do with their time than badmouth places they know nothing about.
yes they do! Its sad when everytime Detroit is even mentioned it because a bash fest. Like I already pointed out even when Detroit was considered strides ahead of Cleveland but still had all of the same issues (wasn't that long ago lets not forget) I have never seen any Detroit person go "atleast we're not Cleveland". who does that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City