Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown shopping
Boston 9 15.25%
Minneapolis 4 6.78%
Philadelphia 5 8.47%
San Francisco 39 66.10%
Seattle 11 18.64%
Washington, DC 2 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
KOP and Tysons have little to do with downtown shopping in Philly and DC.

No one says "well the biggest suburban shopping corridor in the U.S. is just outside Manhattan, therefore Manhattan is negatively affected". That's silly. There are bigger shopping corridors than either KOP or Tysons, anyways, (Paramus, Roosevelt Field area, South Coast Plaza area, etc.).
I'm still trying to figure out why people are talking about indoor shopping malls to begin with. The whole point of downtown shopping is shopping at a storefront, usually flagship, independent stores. Most things in flagships aren't sold at department stores to begin with. The selection is so small per brand in a department store that it's not even a destination. If you want LV or Gucci, you go to their store.

These stores are more about advertising anyway. They are billboards for the brand. That's why millions go into the design for these storefronts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 03:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
KOP is not the largest suburban mall. I've been to both KOP and MOP. It is much smaller. As for downtown shopping that is a different matter. I'm not sure how MPLS's Nicollet is holding up these days. It's been a while since I've been up there.

Mall of America: 4.8 million sq. ft. (current size) it will double in size once phase 2 is completed.
King of Prussia: 2.4 million square feet of retail space
Tyson's Corner: 2.4 million square feet of retail space
Natick Mall: 1.9 million square feet of retail space
Stanford Shopping Center: 1.5 million square feet of retail space
Bellevue Square: 1.3 million square feet of retail space
KOP has more retail sq footage MOA has amusements and such KOP is purely a mall also adding as well in sq footage

they are also building a 1 million sq foot high end lifestyle center right next door (under construction)

The Village At Valley Forge in King Of Prussia

am not a mall person but KOP i the largest retail sq foot mall in the country

Old 11-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
KOP and Tysons have little to do with downtown shopping in Philly and DC.

No one says "well the biggest suburban shopping corridor in the U.S. is just outside Manhattan, therefore Manhattan is negatively affected". That's silly. There are bigger shopping corridors than either KOP or Tysons, anyways, (Paramus, Roosevelt Field area, South Coast Plaza area, etc.).
actually KOP is larger than those

but to MDs point and a rare occasion when I agree who cares

I brought up KOP when i said sadly today the shopping mecca today is outside the DT, still believe this KOP is like chain city and enough ruths chris's etc to bore the life out of me

Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually KOP is larger than those

but to MDs point and a rare occasion when I agree who cares

I brought up KOP when i said sadly today the shopping mecca today is outside the DT, still believe this KOP is like chain city and enough ruths chris's etc to bore the life out of me
Tysons and KOP are the exact same.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Tysons and KOP are the exact same.
mostly, KOP a tad larger and growing with more perimeter stuff as well

but pretty close - Tysons is less well connected based on my experience though some peripheral stuff on chain bridge and leesburg pike KOP is probably a tad larger but at some point it doesn't matter and neither are DT though Tysons is getting better and KOP not so much on that front

Old 11-10-2014, 04:26 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Wow, that really would be convenient. Hopefully they will get it built.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:29 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
mostly, KOP a tad larger and growing with more perimeter stuff as well

but pretty close - Tysons is less well connected based on my experience though some peripheral stuff on chain bridge and leesburg pike KOP is probably a tad larger but at some point it doesn't matter and neither are DT though Tysons is getting better and KOP not so much on that front
Tyson's is going in a completely different direction than KOP. As you know, Tyson's is going through a complete reboot and is trying to turn into a real city. It's the first time something like this has been attempted in the world. Will it work? Only time will tell, but the best in the business internationally are working on it so we will see in time. Whether it works or not, it won't be anything like KOP. That is one thing we do know.

Also, is it really necessary to say "on the rare occasion I agree with him" if you agree with a point I make?

Old 11-10-2014, 04:32 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
KOP has more retail sq footage MOA has amusements and such KOP is purely a mall also adding as well in sq footage

they are also building a 1 million sq foot high end lifestyle center right next door (under construction)

The Village At Valley Forge in King Of Prussia

am not a mall person but KOP i the largest retail sq foot mall in the country
I didn't consider the floor space for MOA's amusement. Of course, that will all change once phase 2 is completed so KOP is the largest as it stands right now. I wonder if any mall in America will ever surpass that big mall up in Edmonton for NA. That place is huge.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Tyson's is going in a completely different direction than KOP. As you know, Tyson's is going through a complete reboot and is trying to turn into a real city. It's the first time something like this has been attempted in the world. Will it work? Only time will tell, but the best in the business internationally are working on it so we will see in time. Whether is works or not, it won't be anything like KOP. That is one thing we do know.
yes wish KOP was developing more similar to Tyson even if on a smaller scale honestly

Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Tyson's is going in a completely different direction than KOP. As you know, Tyson's is going through a complete reboot and is trying to turn into a real city. It's the first time something like this has been attempted in the world. Will it work? Only time will tell, but the best in the business internationally are working on it so we will see in time. Whether it works or not, it won't be anything like KOP. That is one thing we do know.

Also, is it really necessary to say "on the rare occasion I agree with him" if you agree with a point I make?

we do agree at time and at time agree to disgree

I do like your links though so

edit: apparently my "s" works sporadically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City