Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Denver 78 60.00%
St. Louis 52 40.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:18 PM

87 posts, read 114,393 times

Advertisements

Denver highways/road infrastructure is far worse than STL. I used to think 270 was bad in STL, then I moved to Denver for a short period of time (less than one year) and drove 270 there. I will never complain again about 270 in STL. Bottom line is, yes Denver has more to offer in terms of outdoor activities, but I believe (and many residents have experienced) the highways/road infrastructure will not be able to keep up with the influx of people moving to the state.

I honestly feel sorry for all the people that have lived in the Denver area for decades. They now have to deal with their children not being able to afford rising housing costs to keep them close to their families and living in good/safe areas. Part of this problem is people moving from higher cost of living areas (California/NY etc) to Denver and the real estate inventory of Denver being low. Californians will easily and willingly pay 400-500k on a small house in Denver that may cost them almost double that in Cali.

Side note, Colorado is the only state I have been to that has "Native" bumper stickers. And you can guess why, because of all the people moving from other states it has become obvious the mentality that some "Native" Colorado residents may feel towards outsiders. Not saying all Colorado residents are like this, but there is obviously enough to want to flaunt the sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM

8,602 posts, read 14,831,841 times
I've been to St. Louis a couple times. Ok place to visit, but no way in hell I'd ever want to live there. The climate is way too humid, there aren't any mountains, and St. Louis proper's problems spill into the suburbs. The inner city schools are by and large crap and as a result the suburbs are forced to take on students from the St. Louis schools that go belly-up.

On top of that St. Louis has an image problem - the central city is dying and there's that whole Turd Ferguson fiasco.

Denver isn't perfect but if you can get around the high price of housing it's got a lot going for it - an educated work force, plenty of tech jobs, a growing city and economy, temperate summertime weather, and no rioting over a false narrative.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-07-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,932,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've been to St. Louis a couple times. Ok place to visit, but no way in hell I'd ever want to live there. The climate is way too humid, there aren't any mountains, and St. Louis proper's problems spill into the suburbs. The inner city schools are by and large crap and as a result the suburbs are forced to take on students from the St. Louis schools that go belly-up.

On top of that St. Louis has an image problem - the central city is dying and there's that whole Turd Ferguson fiasco.

Denver isn't perfect but if you can get around the high price of housing it's got a lot going for it - an educated work force, plenty of tech jobs, a growing city and economy, and temperate summertime weather.
St. Louis does have an image problem. I do enjoy living here for a number of reasons. As an outsider to Denver and before relocating back to St. Louis I would choose Denver any day over St. Louis just by what little I knew about the place. The quality of life in St. Louis seems to be a lot better than most give it credit for and Denver sounds like its over rated on paper judging from local friends from that area and comments made in this thread.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,647,729 times
I'll readily admit that I'm biased, but I would never say Denver has it all over St. Louis. STL has more urban character in its pinky finger than the entire state of Colorado.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:05 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,160,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
I'll readily admit that I'm biased, but I would never say Denver has it all over St. Louis. STL has more urban character in its pinky finger than the entire state of Colorado.
Don't get too ahead of yourself. St. Louis has some insane urban character that Denver could never achieve, but it's not like Denver doesn't hold its own. It has some pretty cool neighborhoods and a fantastic downtown, I'll readily admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City