Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I thinkCanadians (a lot of them on here) should realize that it when it comes to global renown,American places by virtue of their country’s size and its juggernaut culturaland entertainment industries, often automatically get the “top seed’ position inthe minds of people around the world.

This is often true of places much smaller (and sometimes less attractive) than a placelike Toronto in Canada.

For example, most Australians in my generation would know about Milwaukee and beerand the Green Bay Packers because they watched Happy Days in their youth.

People around the world know of Maine and a little bit about what it’s like because ofStephen King. They are much less likely to know about New Brunswick and NovaScotia.

And for thesame reasons, they know about New Orleans, and Chicago, and Seattle. And evenRoswell, New Mexico.

What I havealso found is that US reference markers often register with people abroad forthings that Canadians like to call their own.

Forexample, ask a non-North American to name a really cold place on this continentand the answer is likely to be… Alaska.

People alsofrequently think of the Rocky Mountains as a US thing, even though by mostaccounts the Canadian ones are more spectacular. The same goes for NiagaraFalls.

Perhapsmost shocking to Canadians is the perception in much of the world that hockeyis a US sport. Hockey scores in foreign newspapers are under the US sportssections, often with a little US flag accompanying it! Of course this isunderstandable given than most NHL clubs are in the US, but it does sometimes leadto painfully complex explanations from Canadians who go to great lengths toexplain that, in spite of it all, it’s still “our’ sport. (And our league and our championship– even tougher!)

All of thestuff I have mentioned of course has true and undeniable bi-national characteristics that straddle theCanada-US border, but it is still worthy to note how global perceptions more oftenthan not default to the US.
zzzzz here you go again - something called the internet broadened the horizons of the worlds population to more than Hollywood, Stephen King and the ESB.. Moreover haven't you heard of Mounties, Mountains and Maple Syrup - not to mention Celine Dion and Bryan Adams pfffft - are you Canadian or not eh? Besides we have the worlds best reputation - you don't get that by being as famous as Djibouti do you?

The World's Most Reputable Countries, 2013 - Forbes

Last edited by fusion2; 08-22-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
This is a good example of what I was referring to in my previous post.

If Toronto's groove is that it is an edgy place with interesting characters, strange, bizarre sights, lots of activity day and night, an amazing skyline with lots of skyscrapers, amazing human diversity à la "the world in one city"... well unfortunately on this continent I'd say someone is already sitting in that chair and has been for quite some time.
I'm sorry is there only one chair in a house?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
Quote:
I thinkCanadians (a lot of them on here) should realize that it when it comes to global renown,American places by virtue of their country’s size and its juggernaut culturaland entertainment industries, often automatically get the “top seed’ position inthe minds of people around the world.

This is often true of places much smaller (and sometimes less attractive) than a placelike Toronto in Canada.

For example, most Australians in my generation would know about Milwaukee and beerand the Green Bay Packers because they watched Happy Days in their youth.

People around the world know of Maine and a little bit about what it’s like because ofStephen King. They are much less likely to know about New Brunswick and NovaScotia.

And for thesame reasons, they know about New Orleans, and Chicago, and Seattle. And evenRoswell, New Mexico.

What I havealso found is that US reference markers often register with people abroad forthings that Canadians like to call their own.

Forexample, ask a non-North American to name a really cold place on this continentand the answer is likely to be… Alaska.

People alsofrequently think of the Rocky Mountains as a US thing, even though by mostaccounts the Canadian ones are more spectacular. The same goes for NiagaraFalls.

Perhapsmost shocking to Canadians is the perception in much of the world that hockeyis a US sport. Hockey scores in foreign newspapers are under the US sportssections, often with a little US flag accompanying it! Of course this isunderstandable given than most NHL clubs are in the US, but it does sometimes leadto painfully complex explanations from Canadians who go to great lengths toexplain that, in spite of it all, it’s still “our’ sport. (And our league and our championship– even tougher!)

All of thestuff I have mentioned of course has true and undeniable bi-national characteristics that straddle theCanada-US border, but it is still worthy to note how global perceptions more oftenthan not default to the US.
This is an excellent post, regardless of the internet people for the most part know more about powerful nations or nations that make headlines wether good or bad, Canada is neither.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
This is an excellent post, regardless of the internet people for the most part know more about powerful nations or nations that make headlines wether good or bad, Canada is neither.
Awww did the school bully have another fulfilling day picking on the smaller kids?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Awww did the school bully have another fulfilling day picking on the smaller kids?
LOL, actually I'm getting paid good money posting on CD

Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why do tourists spend so much more in Vancouver than in Toronto? Is Vancouver that expensive?
Better drugs available...

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 PM

354 posts, read 681,726 times
Quote:
I am actually from Canada. But I do spend time in Europe fairly regularly. Including much of this summer.

And as you might expect I actually do prefer ice hockey over baseball by a longshot.
Where in Europe? I have never been to one place where baseball is popular other than the baseball cap apparel. No offense, I'm just curious. 99% of swedes, for example, couldn't never a single Red Sox player if their lives depended on it. Or how many even kbow Boston's baseball team is called the red sox. Yes some people may know of the red sox, the teams name and logo, but how many actually know anything about the team? or how te game is even played? So I just don't get how seeing the caps makes the sports particularly popular. I know most of the posters here are North Americans. I actually do follow most pro sports but it is very diffiult to do so in most of Europe. For example, you will probably have to get Espn America (a paid channel proved by selected cable provider service) to watch nfl and mlb. We hve a Europe wide hockey channel, not that someone in uk for example would care for such, but its much more accessible.

Also look at the registered players for ice hockey and baseball. It's pretty telling. I'm just trying to say that, yes, while we are all influenced by the American culture (I live in Sweden which is one of the most americanised countries in Europe if not the world). There are certain things that we just don't are for. Baseball the sport is one of them. Baseball caps is another story.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is pretty useless since people tends to spot te bosox caps overseas and obviously it nears that they are one of the most belied sports team in the world. I won't be beating on this dead horse. I'm just amused that people would think that baseball that popular. I myself really like watching it love. Can't say the same for most people here.

Apologies if I sounded a bit Strong. i enjoy a good debate something we don't do so much here in sweden about things like these. I actually like Toronto and Boston a lot, pains me to seen people actively putting down one or the other. As for Toronto, I like its kind of a modest city. I have been there too many times and I've never really heard people from there comparing it to NYC. Even at TIFF which is a really world class organization ( if anything from Toronto is top tier world class my pick would be TIFF given how well it's ran and how influencial it is in the industry) I don't think they ever brag about it much? I like that about the city and Canada in general, but seems like people are more outspoken on these forums. But then it's te Internet so I shouldn't really be surprised lol!

Last edited by fikatid; 08-22-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
Where in Europe? I have never been to one place where baseball is popular other than the baseball cap apparel. No offense, I'm just curious. 99% of swedes, for example, couldn't never a single Red Sox player if their lives depended on it. Or how many even kbow Boston's baseball team is called the red sox. Yes some people may know of the red sox, the teams name and logo, but how many actually know anything about the team? or how te game is even played? So I just don't get how seeing the caps makes the sports particularly popular. I know most of the posters here are North Americans. I actually do follow most pro sports but it is very diffiult to do so in most of Europe. For example, you will probably have to get Espn America (a paid channel proved by selected cable provider service) to watch nfl and mlb. We hve a Europe wide hockey channel, not that someone in uk for example would care for such, but its much more accessible.

Also look at the registered players for ice hockey and baseball. It's pretty telling. I'm just trying to say that, yes, while we are all influenced by the American culture (I live in Sweden which is one of the most americanised countries in Europe if not the world). There are certain things that we just don't are for. Baseball the sport is one of them. Baseball caps is another story.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is pretty useless since people tends to spot te bosox caps overseas and obviously it nears that they are one of the most belied sports team in the world. I won't be beating on this dead horse. I'm just amused that people would think that baseball that popular. I myself really like watching it love. Can't say the same for most people here.

Apologies if I sounded a bit Strong. i enjoy a good debate something we don't do so much here in sweden about things like these. I actually like Toronto and Boston a lot, pains me to seen people actively putting down one or the other. As for Toronto, I like its kind of a modest city. I have been there too many times and I've never really heard people from there comparing it to NYC. Even at TIFF which is a really world class organization ( if anything from Toronto is top tier world class my pick would be TIFF given how well it's ran and how influencial it is in the industry) I don't think they ever brag about it much? I like that about the city and Canada in general, but seems like people are more outspoken on these forums. But then it's te Internet so I shouldn't really be surprised lol!
But my point has never been to say that baseball is a very popular sport in Sweden or in Europe. My point is that people from around the world would identify going to a baseball game as something typical and unique they might want to do when visiting Boston.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
How did a "global destination cities" convo, turn into "hockey vs baseball world popularity"?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
How did a "global destination cities" convo, turn into "hockey vs baseball world popularity"?
It's all my fault I think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City