Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
I'm surprised Chicago made the list
I'm surprised Chicago is low on the lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why do tourists spend so much more in Vancouver than in Toronto? Is Vancouver that expensive?
Why are Vegas and Orlando not on the list?
It's an "international visitors" lists. Orlando and LV are visited by a lot of people, but I dont think you have people travelling from all over the world to come to Vegas and Orlando. Their visits are mostly U.S./North American whereas the other cities listed (NYC, TOR, LA, etc.) are more visited internationally by people from Europe, Africa, Asia, etc.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 60,401 times
except history, boston is pretty boring

Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM

517 posts, read 677,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclackpow View Post
Not sure why everyone is ripping on Boston on this thread.

What North American cities are clearly more interesting than Boston?

I would say

NYC
LA
SF

Outside of those three cities, I think one can easily make a case that Boston is as interesting as any other major North American city.

I would say that Chicago, Philly, DC, and Montreal are comparable to Boston in terms of visitor interest.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclackpow View Post
Well, that's not going to be a controversial statement.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post

I would say

NYC
LA
SF

Outside of those three cities, I think one can easily make a case that Boston is as interesting as any other major North American city.

I would say that Chicago, Philly, DC, and Montreal are comparable to Boston in terms of visitor interest.
I agree. At least the US cities, I've never been to Montreal.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post

I would say

NYC
LA
SF

Toronto, too.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto, too.
For a tourist, though? I think Toronto is better than Boston in many ways, but not for a tourist.

If I were to spend a weekend in Boston, there are many world-famous attractions, like Harvard Square, Freedom Trail, North End, MFA etc.

I can't think of one real world-class attraction in Toronto. The museums are better in Boston, there's more history, the streetscape is more interesting, and it's generally a more iconic city.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Oh, please. There are lots of interesting places for tourists to check out in Toronto - more than enough to keep anyone non-stop busy for a mere weekend.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Oh, please. There are lots of interesting places for tourists to check out in Toronto - more than enough to keep anyone non-stop busy for a mere weekend.
What would be some of those iconic, world-class Toronto attractions?

Maybe the CN Tower, I guess? Would someone visiting from, say, Europe, care about a television tower observatory?

I really like Toronto, and have visited a number of times, but it doesn't really strike me as a city with a lot of obviously recognizable tourist attractions. It's more of a "experience the city" type place rather than specific attractions or neighborhoods.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM

A little list right off the top of my head:

CN Tower
Casa Loma
ROM/Gardner/Bata Shoe Museum
Art Gallery of Ontario
Distillery Historic District
Kensington Market (bohemian enclave)
St. Lawrence Market
Dundas Square/Eaton Centre/Yonge Street strip
Chinatown/Little Italy/Koreatown/Greektown/Little India etc.
Entertainment district (theatres, restaurants, clubs)
Queen Street West (funky shopping)
Yorkville (upscale shopping)
Toronto Islands
Harbourfront
Ripley's Aquarium (opening soon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.