Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
I suspect the same thing. Given Chicago's stock I would doubt that people there it would be that much more attractive then Philly. Of course LA is going have many people who want to be in entertainment and who would are more likely to be at lease some what attractive. This Bajan dude is trolling somewhat too.
Bajan (I can't believe that I am speaking up for him) is a Philly dude so he is not trolling. Philly is a beast of a city but i just don't see the throngs of professional, beautiful black chicks on a daily like I do when I'm in Atlanta or even Detriot which is underrated. (2e1m5a) is out of bounds. Don't get me wrong, Philly has some nice AA women but I have never seen them in masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Bajan (I can't believe that I am speaking up for him) is a Philly dude so he is not trolling. Philly is a beast of a city but i just don't see the throngs of professional, beautiful black chicks on a daily like I do when I'm in Atlanta or even Detriot which is underrated. (2e1m5a) is out of bounds. Don't get me wrong, Philly has some nice AA women but I have never seen them in masses.
Yeah, I was going to say that Detroit has neighborhoods within the city and in the suburbs that would be fine for Black professionals. Downtown and nicer city neighborhoods like Sherwood Forest, Indian Village, East English Village, Palmer Woods, Boston-Edison and the University District, among others, come to mind. Suburbs like Southfield, Oak Park, Farmington/Farmington Hills, Ferndale, Lathrup Village, West Bloomfield(a lot of professional ballplayers live there), parts of Harper Woods and even parts of the Grosse Pointes would work, with maybe a few others. So, there is more to the Detroit area than the negative stuff.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
He's just a hater. Philly has the third largest AA population in the nation right after NYC and Chicago.

To say that it is the city with the least amount of good looking AA women is just idiotic and says a lot about his biases.
Maybe you're just talking City proper. Otherwise, Philly is well behind Atlanta and DC in AA population.

As a matter of fact, Houston is more likely to surpass Philly than Philly is to catching Atlanta.

BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
When it comes to attractive black women, Atlanta beats Chicago soundly. They are a lot more approachable and friendly there too. I'm sure Atlanta smokes Philadelphia in this regard as well.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
You are opening a can of worms with this question. This is City Data and, for whatever reason, many people who visit this site have nothing better to do in their sorry little lives but make uninformed, sophomoric comments about crime in largely black cities. Do not be surprised if a few chumps start derailing this thread with flippant, racist comments about poor black people in Chicago and Philly (assuming they haven't already). Next thing you know they're getting called out by other posters and then the mods come in telling everybody to "cool it" -- the tacit expectation being we are supposed to let racist comments go unchallenged. Just a heads up.

That said, I contend that Philly is safer, in large part because it is less segregated, more urbanized, and there is no real gang culture--not like Chicago anyway. Much of the violence in Philly is related to drugs or personal disputes. People who live in these cities are probably better sources than I am, but my sense, from visiting, talking with locals, reading up on these cities and urban crime, and my own experiences living in largely black cities with reputations for crime (Detroit, Atlanta), is that if you mind your own business, avoid getting roped into petty arguments, and stay away from illegal activity, you will be fine in both places. For me personally, however, I think that the geographical isolation and segregation of Chicago's nice black neighborhoods and their close proximity to highly impoverished areas (not to mention the constant stream of bad press and the pressure to explain to numbskull outsiders that every black city neighborhood is not a ghetto) would take a mental toll on me (though there are exceptions--places like Beverly, for instance). That's just me though.

^^^THIS^^^ Thank you D.U., and this why I hardly ever post in the Philly forums any longer. I grew up there, rent a place there, and have about 3 generations of family there on both sides but if your post don't fit into "certain" world views or you stand up to the code words and veiled insults then your post is deleted.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Maybe you're just talking City proper. Otherwise, Philly is well behind Atlanta and DC in AA population.

As a matter of fact, Houston is more likely to surpass Philly than Philly is to catching Atlanta.

Yes, city proper. I would definitely agree that when considering entire Metro areas Atlanta, DC, Houston have a larger black middle class. A lot of Philly's suburbs have a long way to go when it comes to diversity. I usually just speak on the cities themselves as I don't really care about the suburbs.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They are closer only because Philly is smaller than Chicago. Mount Airy is technically part of the "outskirts" of the city. Some people even call it the suburbs.

I don't see how crime rates factor into this discussion at all. The cities that are best for blacks also have a darker underside. But that's better than living in a city that's nearly all darkness (i.e., Detroit, Gary, etc.). A lot of cities are crime-plagued and don't have any type of black professional class at all.

No matter what "Some People" call it, we've always known that it's a section in the Northwest part of our city. There's some slight similarities but it's never been suburban. It's as much a part of Philly as North Philly.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Yes, city proper. I would definitely agree that when considering entire Metro areas Atlanta, DC, Houston have a larger black middle class. A lot of Philly's suburbs have a long way to go when it comes to diversity. I usually just speak on the cities themselves as I don't really care about the suburbs.
But the suburbs is where many middle-class Blacks are moving to, so in the context of this type of discussion, it's very relevant. Matter of fact, two of the most noted affluent Black communities in the nation are suburban: Prince Georges County, MD and DeKalb County, GA.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:35 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Wouldn't Cheltenham be the best example of a suburb on the PA side that is largely middle class and has a high Black population? Maybe Lansdowne too. On the NJ side, what about Pennsauken and Willingboro? You may have others on both sides with percentages around the national average too. With this said, it isn't uncommon in the Northeast for cities to have at least one highly or most Black area within city limits that is at least middle class.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:54 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

It's still higher either way so who cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City