U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
NYC 10 25.64%
Boscago, San Fradelphia 29 74.36%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM

364 posts, read 502,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
NYC still wins in some urban dimensions, it's still higher population, still more transit, still more high rises, but will get slammed in education and gdp and probably some amenities except theater and maybe some performing arts, maybe film industry, finance industry, publishing industry, media is still stronger than all the other 4 combined. But if you dropped Chicago,Philly, Boston onto SF's natural setting it would def make an interesting place. But if you put SF without the hills or weather into wear chicago is, wouldn't be near as interesting. But I am thinking you mean on paper?
I do not want that hippie scenery that is in SF to be in NY!

I WANT TO LIVE IN A CITY!

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x...the-city_music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
well you also have the intellectual crowd, the art world crowd, the indie film crowd, the theater crowd, the international politics crowd, the wall street crowd, the media crowd ... all top industries there. Even if NYC was built out like LA, it would still draw the same crowds b/c those things are there. Of course LA draws plenty of people itself, but it doesn't have as many premier industries/scenes there, though it has enough to be a good draw.
Exactly.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM

5,371 posts, read 7,657,321 times
New York City is not that great...

Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
^^ how so?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 PM

5,371 posts, read 7,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ how so?
I don't mean that it's not great at all. My time living there was actually really great. But pinning it up against those cities, it isn't that great.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I don't mean that it's not great at all. My time living there was actually really great. But pinning it up against those cities, it isn't that great.
fair enough.

i was thinking each city as a borough w/chicago being manhattan - it's possibe

time for some pics. this is fun stuff

brooklyn

queens

bronx

Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 14,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This would ruin the great livability of Chicago! Why ruin it by turning it into an overcrowded POS city. Urban city feel = claustrophobic overcrowded ghetto.
I can see wanting to keep the yards, but I can't see how the downtown parking lots contribute to the quality of life in Chicago?

For the record, I see nothing wrong with Chicago's leafy neighborhoods, but I think it would be cool if it mixed it up with some dense old school North End, Nob Hill, Rittenhouse Sq type neighborhoods. Keep the yards in the outer neighborhoods.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 PM

3,918 posts, read 5,038,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland2 View Post
Obviously, NYC can't be compared to any other American city given its enormity.

But, what if we combined 4 of the best, I think we could create a city to give it a run for its money.

Chicago is closest big urban city, but is too small to be a rival. It has the foundations of a world city with its massive urban canyons and vibrant neighborhood commercial strips.

But, IMO there are two 2 problems that keep it from being a true world city.
1) Too many parking lots- The high rise downtown neighborhoods give way to parking lots and auto-centric development.
2) Too many yards- Even the vibrant close in residential neighborhoods have front yards and single family houses. Not a bad thing, but it hurts the urban city feel.

My changes:
1) Fill in the parking lots of the High Rise neighborhoods with SF-style 5-7 story midrise apartments (Nob Hill, Tenderloin, Union Square).
2) Replace the hip Wicker Park/Bucktown/Pilsen residential side streets with dense Philly-style row houses on a narrow streets.
3) Fill in Chicago's tony lakeside neighborhoods Lincoln Park, Old Town, Lakeview with ornate Boston-style 5 story brownstones.

IMO, this supped up hybrid city would easily rival NYC in the way London does. Not as dense or hectic, but all the amenities of world city in an arguably more manageable pace.
Cool if you want to replace surface lots, but why would you replace certain things that are (arguably) very good things in Chicago like hip areas, great urban neighborhoods, and yards? Let's be honest, those yards are typically very small and can be a great amenity. I'd rather replace some of the areas on the SW side that have the lion's share of most of the crime in Chicago with something like Boston's Back Bay or even SF's Nob Hill rather than lose already vibrant, flourishing, well-established parts of Chicago per your suggestion.

I guess another maybe picky thing with your final statement: Chicago alone is already a world city with virtually any amenity you could want at a manageable pace by comparison to NYC. Could Chicago be even better? Of course it could, but it would be nice if it were more unique to Chicago than a copy-cat of what's already present in other places.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 14,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Cool if you want to replace surface lots, but why would you replace certain things that are (arguably) very good things in Chicago like hip areas, great urban neighborhoods, and yards? Let's be honest, those yards are typically very small and can be a great amenity. I'd rather replace some of the areas on the SW side that have the lion's share of most of the crime in Chicago with something like Boston's Back Bay or even SF's Nob Hill rather than lose already vibrant, flourishing, well-established parts of Chicago per your suggestion.

I guess another maybe picky thing with your final statement: Chicago alone is already a world city with virtually any amenity you could want at a manageable pace by comparison to NYC. Could Chicago be even better? Of course it could, but it would be nice if it were more unique to Chicago than a copy-cat of what's already present in other places.
Just to clarify, this thread is not an attack on Chicago, or Boston, Philly, and SF for that matter. They are all great city. In fact American urbanism at its best, IMO.

World city is kind of a subjective concept. Chicago is the most "world class" of the 4. But, its pretty universally held that even Chicago isn't in league with London, Paris, NYC, etc.

I was just trying to think of an example of how one could build a 2nd American city to rival NYC, London, Paris.

Chicago is great at having the huge city feel. But, IMO, SF/Bos/Philly are a little stronger when it comes to the European/old world/ low rise Manhattan type feel.

IMO, combining them together and I think you could have a city that rivals the NYC/London's of the world.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM

3,918 posts, read 5,038,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland2 View Post
Just to clarify, this thread is not an attack on Chicago, or Boston, Philly, and SF for that matter. They are all great city. In fact American urbanism at its best, IMO.

World city is kind of a subjective concept. Chicago is the most "world class" of the 4. But, its pretty universally held that even Chicago isn't in league with London, Paris, NYC, etc.

I was just trying to think of an example of how one could build a 2nd American city to rival NYC, London, Paris.

Chicago is great at having the huge city feel. But, IMO, SF/Bos/Philly are a little stronger when it comes to the European/old world/ low rise Manhattan type feel.

IMO, combining them together and I think you could have a city that rivals the NYC/London's of the world.
Sure, I didn't exactly take it as an attack on Chicago, and I will freely admit that Chicago, although it is undoubtedly a world class city, isn't in the league of say NYC or Tokyo, but I just thought that replacing some of the "good" things in Chicago with the "good" things from Boston, SF, Philly etc. wouldn't be as logical as replacing the "bad" things in Chicago with some of the better aspects of these other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City