Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels colder?
Chicago winter 47 83.93%
Denver winter 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM

45 posts, read 135,389 times

Advertisements

Which is and which feels colder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM

542 posts, read 1,674,950 times
Chicago is hot and humid in the summer and very cold, windy and snowy in the winter.

Denver is hot and dry in the summer and cold and dry in the winter with an occasional burst of snow. Weather in Denver is more unpredictable - it could be 50 degrees and sunny one day in the winter and then 20 degrees the next day with a blizzard.

In short, Denver Winter > Chicago Winter

Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Chicago is and feels colder. Denver arguably doesn't have a true "characteristic" winter, with temps that maintain below 40 degrees (I'd argue that even cooler than 40 is more of a characteristic winter).

Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM

993 posts, read 1,757,698 times
I lived nearish both and have experienced both of their weather. To put your answer simple: Chicago will be colder. Denver may have more extremes, but they also warm up to the 50s quite frequently in the winter while Chicago will consistently stay around the low 30s. Hope that helps

Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
I think this is easy. Chicago is colder on average by 10-15 degrees in the winter (in the summer they aren't that terribly different - Denver a little warmer on average, but also drier). Denver does get almost 2 more feet of snowfall than Chicago though on average, but Chicago is still colder in the winter by a bit.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
I accidentally voted Denver ... Chicago is significantly worse, colder and greyer, snow stays longer and umm, no mountains. I know that is not technically the weather, but having majestic mountains nearby in the winter makes a ton of difference. Denver gets way more days in the 50s 60s. Denver and Chicago will both have very cold cold snaps though and will both go below 0, Denver maybe more frequent with this...?. Chicago can stay below 32 for multiple weeks at a time easy and consistently. In Denver the occurence of snow will be prolonged through more months. Denver *averages* about an inch of snow in May and September. That is pretty unheard of in Chicago, I've personally never seen snow in either month. So I know that would freaking **** me off.

Chicago like maro said is 10-15 colder in winter... and has wild swings, but usually pretty cold. Denver has even wilder swings so that is why you'll see more of the days going from 60-0 in 24 hours. It happens in Chicago also but more frequent in Denver.
A more interesting thread would be Denver winter vs DC winter... They have similar highs daytime in winter but the weather differences are more interesting.

Last edited by grapico; 06-26-2013 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM

536 posts, read 825,368 times
It was never really the temperature that bothered me in Chicago. It was very much the wind + cold. On calm days the cold was fine. On windy cold days I thought I would lose an ear.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
I accidentally voted Denver as well. Winter's here really aren't that bad.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I accidentally voted Denver ... Chicago is significantly worse, colder and greyer, snow stays longer and umm, no mountains. I know that is not technically the weather, but having majestic mountains nearby in the winter makes a ton of difference. Denver gets way more days in the 50s 60s. Denver and Chicago will both have very cold cold snaps though and will both go below 0, Denver maybe more frequent with this...?. Chicago can stay below 32 for multiple weeks at a time easy and consistently. In Denver the occurence of snow will be prolonged through more months. Denver *averages* about an inch of snow in May and September. That is pretty unheard of in Chicago, I've personally never seen snow in either month. So I know that would freaking **** me off.

Chicago like maro said is 10-15 colder in winter... and has wild swings, but usually pretty cold. Denver has even wilder swings so that is why you'll see more of the days going from 60-0 in 24 hours. It happens in Chicago also but more frequent in Denver.
A more interesting thread would be Denver winter vs DC winter... They have similar highs daytime in winter but the weather differences are more interesting.
Not only does Chicago feel colder, it is colder.

I've seen snow in both September and May in Denver, more often in May. We had snow this May.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 PM

50 posts, read 118,554 times
Definitely Chicago..not even close..Chicago's winters can be brutal..Influenced by frequent arctic cold blasts, winds off of lake michigan, gulf of mexico moisture can make for a very miserable winter with cold air that goes right to your bones..Can be cloudy for extended periods of time..Also has freezing rain and very cold winter rain influenced by warm air from the gulf of mexico.

Denver on the other hand has many sunny winter days and low humidity along with the thinner air makes for a very comfortable climate..However Denver does get snowstorms and they can be heavy especially in El Nino winters..Window where snow is possibly is from October to May...Usually snow that does fall melts away due to Chinook winds coming down from the Rockies... Temps fluctuate in the winter months..Very rare to have cold temps for an extended period of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City