Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 11:17 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,588,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is there really all that much trash talk about techies in this thread? I'm a "techie" working in Miami for a bit. It's pretty great, would probably recommend it. Network connections here are kind of garbage-y though. Meh
There was before the mods mercifully deleted a whole lot of the posts.

I know that the SF boosters can be a bit much sometimes, but deriding techies just to make a point seems kind of dumb, especially when you're doing it using the internet.

Sounds hypocritical as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:58 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,929,272 times
From two weeks ago

South of Miami headed towards Key Largo and Key West via boat.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:43 PM

37,047 posts, read 39,138,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
SF is not an alpha city. The only real top-tier global cities in the U.S. are NYC and LA. And I would put DC and Chicago slightly ahead of SF too.
The only alpha city, if we're really making it that rarified, is NYC.

SF and Miami are pretty influential/powerful cities/metros overall given their sizes and both would be top 50 easily. Just that SF has more influence/power than Miami.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:49 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,009,459 times
Quote:
The only alpha city, if we're really making it that rarified, is NYC.

SF and Miami are pretty influential/powerful cities/metros overall given their sizes and both would be top 50 easily. Just that SF has more influence/power than Miami.
If you're talking about GAWC World Cities ranking, there are actually 8 alpha cities in the U.S. I'm not sure how else you would be using the term "alpha city".

Old 05-02-2015, 06:03 PM

37,047 posts, read 39,138,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
If you're talking about GAWC World Cities ranking, there are actually 8 alpha cities in the U.S. I'm not sure how else you would be using the term "alpha city".
Well, look at what I was responding to: the idea that the only US alpha cities are NYC and LA--which is obviously not what GAWC has listed. However, if you're going by that posters much more limited definition of Alpha City, then it doesn't make much sense to include LA along with NYC and not any others since LA can come above or under a few other US cities, depending on the list being cited, that didn't make that poster's cut.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:07 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,009,459 times
Quote:
Well, look at what I was responding to: the idea that the only US alpha cities are NYC and LA--which is obviously not what GAWC has listed. However, if you're going by that posters much more limited definition of Alpha City, then it doesn't make much sense to include LA along with NYC and not any others since LA can come above or under a few other US cities, depending on the list being cited, that didn't make that poster's cut.
Oh okay...I gotcha.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,751,497 times
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Francisco and Miami are both listed as Alpha- cities. Both of them are huge financial centers... San Francisco being more closely linked with Asia and Miami being more closely linked with Latin and South America.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:02 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,145,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Francisco and Miami are both listed as Alpha- cities. Both of them are huge financial centers... San Francisco being more closely linked with Asia and Miami being more closely linked with Latin and South America.
Miami is more closely integrated into the world's economy (Latin America, Europe to a lesser degree) while San Francisco has a bigger and more important industry base.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,145,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Just note that Orlando is a good 3-4 hours away from Miami (on the Turnpike, with tolls that are something like $12-15 if I can remember correctly), Tampa +1 hour from there.
Orlando is about 3 hours away unless you hit traffic or drive like a retiree. I don't consider Tampa a destination from Miami, what would you do there you couldn't in Miami? It's more like Miami is a destination for people from Tampa.

Quote:
I'd consider other parts of So Fla, Naples/Marco Island, and the Keys (depending on how far down the Keys one goes...Key West is a hike, like 3 hours, Marathon is closer) to be Miami's day trips.
Everglades as well.

Quote:
Chalk's is < 1 hr flight to Nassau.
Bahamas is about 2 hours by boat, half an hour by plane. Depending on which Bahamian island you want to go to of course. But it's a day trip for sure, especially if you have your own boat or plane. I know some people who jet ski to the Bahamas.

The Bahamas is just one of many international destinations from Miami, Cuba is another. Ofc now it's opening up, by fall there will be a high speed catamaran between Miami and Havana. There are also various other islands and countries. From Miami to Cartagena, it's 2 hours by plane and a popular route for those of us who have our own plane.

Quote:
To SDPMiami, I am from the area I still enjoy visiting and have family in PBC. It doesn't mean I don't despise the place at the same time (or you...as you basically embody what I despise about the place, and at least you have a seemingly legitimate job, which cannot be said about A LOT of people down there, many of whom are shady at best).
It's no surprise you have hate to Miami being from PBC. My girlfriend/fiancee is from Jupiter Island, and I'm very often in Palm Beach these days because she has property there. Anyways, you despise it because you're a white middle class, lower class who dislikes Latins and you go to San Francisco to feel progressive. It's not very hard to figure you out.

Anyways, there are more day trips from Miami than San Francisco. You just need to have your own boat or plane to get the most out of them. Going to wine country, or some national parks is ok, but sailing to an uninhabited island and making love to my fiancee on a private beach in turquoise waters beats anything offered in wine country.

I guess if I craved mountains San Francisco would be more of an obvious choice, but I crave the water and there San Francisco just comes up blank. You need to get in a plane for about 3 hours before you even begin to get warm seas (Cabos). As it is, I'll take Miami and take a plane ride a couple times a year to Colorado for my skiing/mountain fix.

There is also NYC within 2+ hours away, Mexico City also 2+ hours away, and Sao Paulo while much farther is still closer to us than to San Francisco. We're better connected to the rest of the world, for example for memorial day weekend we will fly for an extended weekend in Mexico City. Life is hard.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:24 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,546,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Anyways, you despise it because you're a white middle class, lower class who dislikes Latins and you go to San Francisco to feel progressive. It's not very hard to figure you out.
Nor you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City