Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:36 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's great, I wasn't talking about Miami. You said that outdoor dining in SF "doesn't exist to any such extent" and that is not true.
Pay attention to the words "To ANY such extent"

Meaning, outdoor dining is not the norm in San Francisco like it's in Miami. Are you saying they are on par? As many people dining outdoors in SF as they do in Miami? As many establishments make their focal point of the dining experience to be outdoor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Pay attention to the words "To ANY such extent"

Meaning, outdoor dining is not the norm in San Francisco like it's in Miami. Are you saying they are on par? As many people dining outdoors in SF as they do in Miami? As many establishments make their focal point of the dining experience to be outdoor?
I never said or indicated they were on par but just saying it's fairly common in parts of SF.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:34 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
Quote:
Other than short trips skiing/snowboarding, I'm not sure what San Francisco offers that Miami doesn't.
This is of course my opinion, but Miami cannot match SF in the following:

Outdoor recreational activities
Museums
Attractions
Sonoma and Napa Valley
Natural beauty and scenery
Downtown SF>Downtown Miami
Mass transit

Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
This is of course my opinion, but Miami cannot match SF in the following:

Outdoor recreational activities
Beaches/water sports are all head and shoulders better here than the Bay Area. Skiing/Snowboarding and hiking in a mountain is better there. I'm a water person, so I pick Miami. However to get to those mountains and hiking is a bit of drive out of the city of SFran, to get to my beach, boat is literally a 5 minute walk for me.

Miami > SF.

Quote:
Museums
Don't know, maybe. I don't go to Museums. Do you? How often are you in a museum?

Quote:
Attractions
There is Everglades, Orlando, Bahamas, Cuba, Florida Keys, and a plethora of Caribbean islands nearby here. Near San Francisco, there are a plethora of natural parks as well as you mention Sonoma/Napa.

Quote:
Sonoma and Napa Valley
This falls under the attractions category.

Quote:
Natural beauty and scenery
Maybe, San Francisco is very beautiful but so is Miami. It's very lush and green, surrounded by turquoise Caribbean colored waters, white sands, coconut palms and tropical vegetation. San Francisco has hills, mountains in the distance, and a deep blue ocean.

Quote:
South Beach is a more interesting urban neighborhood than anything what San Francisco has to offer imo, simply due to the beach, the art deco, the neon lights, the pedestrian activity, the pulsating music. It feels like America's Copacabana.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:07 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,641,878 times
Just want to point out to the poster saying that alfresco dining is more popular in Miami than SF - this is simply not the case. I think dining outside takes on a different meaning between the two cities - Miami/Coconut Grove/Miami Beach have more restaurants with outdoor patios, umbrellas, etc. Still, those restaurants constitute a very very small percentage of all restaurants in SoFla.

San Francisco has a few restaurants with patios/decks with umbrellas (mainly along the waterfront or in various random locations throughout the city), but there is really no room for that. Instead, a high percentage of restaurants have typical alfresco dining in the European sense, with a row of tables and chairs right alongside the restaurant structure on the sidewalk. I've never been to an American city with remotely close to the same percentage of restaurants throughout the city that do this. Also, SF is blessed with mild temperatures year round. Never hot, rarely too cold and not in every part of town. Also, South FL's restaurant/culinary culture is just incomparable to San Francisco's.

RE: "other things to do around SF besides snowboard/ski"??!!??

Well considering neither of those things were exactly options this drought year...

While it may not be as close to other world class cities as those in the NE Corridor, arguably few cities in this country have what SF has in its backyard. Miami/South FL has about the least variety of things to do of any major city in the country. I'd flip the question right back around and ask what is there to do around Miami besides beachy things and shopping (the latter of which is more notable in SF and beachy things can also be done around SF with Pacifica, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Stinson, Tomales Point, Carmel, Big Sur, etc)? How much time can one spend in Little Havana or air boating around the Everglades or visiting the less than mediocre museums and cultural attractions South FL has to offer in a very spread out environment with little to no public transit? That's my question.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,953,673 times
I prefer Miami by far. Miami 10 out of 10 times if the question of Miami versus San Francisco were asked 10 times.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
San Francisco has a few restaurants with patios/decks with umbrellas (mainly along the waterfront or in various random locations throughout the city), but there is really no room for that. Instead, a high percentage of restaurants have typical alfresco dining in the European sense, with a row of tables and chairs right alongside the restaurant structure on the sidewalk.
Miami Beach (South Beach) alone has more of those than the entire San Francisco. Walking in South Beach I often have to step off the sidewalk because it's crowded with people eating on chairs/tables a la European style.

Quote:
I've never been to an American city with remotely close to the same percentage of restaurants throughout the city that do this. Also, SF is blessed with mild temperatures year round. Never hot, rarely too cold and not in every part of town.
I would, along with most people, would say SF is too chilly year round. When Miami gets a cold snap and falls into the 60s in the winter, you won't really catch me wanting to eat outside. And this is the norm in San Francisco which is why your dining outside culture is smaller than ours.

Quote:
While it may not be as close to other world class cities as those in the NE Corridor, arguably few cities in this country have what SF has in its backyard. Miami/South FL has about the least variety of things to do of any major city in the country. I'd flip the question right back around and ask what is there to do around Miami besides beachy things and shopping (the latter of which is more notable in SF and beachy things can also be done around SF with Pacifica, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Stinson, Tomales Point, Carmel, Big Sur, etc)? How much time can one spend in Little Havana or air boating around the Everglades or visiting the less than mediocre museums and cultural attractions South FL has to offer in a very spread out environment with little to no public transit? That's my question.
You cannot compare a single beach nearby San Francisco, Santa Cruz included, to anything in Miami. If you want to swim? You won't swim in Santa Cruz. If you want to go snorkeling? You won't do it there. If you want to go sunbathing? Maybe only a couple weeks out of a year can it be done comfortably in Santa Cruz.

Public Transit is for the poor, in Miami Beach I can walk everywhere, if I need to leave Miami Beach I drive or take a cab. If PT was available I wouldn't take it unless exceptional circumstances.

But as I said before, this weekend me and my girlfriend are taking a small private plane and flying to the Bahamas. And staying for the weekend. That's luxury, that's Miami life. We will be on a private beach, in azure waters.

Who cares about Museums, I literally only know tourists who go to them. Or as mediocre date spots.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami
Public Transit is for the poor
Ironic isnt it?

San Francisco is a rich city that values public transit while Miami is a poor city that doesnt.

Strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88
Miami has a downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist
I'd flip the question
right back around and ask what is there to do around Miami besides beachy things and shopping
Exactly. Apart from the beachy areas, Miami is a swampy, steamy, subtropical version of the Bronx. Yawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami[/quote
But as I said before, this weekend me and
my girlfriend are taking a small private plane
and flying to the Bahamas.
That's cute, glad to see your making the most of your retirement. I met the Prime Minister of Japan today after he visited Stanford seeking to build bridges between his nation and the high tech capital of the world.

lol

Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ironic isnt it?

lol
Monty trying hard to sound important

Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Monty trying hard to sound important
Hahaha no need to be jealous. It was no big deal really, there was a lot of people there and these kinds of gatherings are quite common in SV.

Take a steel drum playing lesson in the Bahamas. You deserve to have fun in your golden years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City