U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,319 times

Advertisements

^ I believe it makes a huge difference to people in their 20's and 30's. It really sucks having to worry about missing the last bus or train when you just want to enjoy a night on the town. Or having to cut your night short because you have to catch the last one home. Cabs are expensive; sometimes really expensive.

Cincy's SORTA would do well to do a study on nighttime travel and provide hourly or half-hourly service connecting (e.g.) entertainment districts to the neighborhoods of their patrons. Maybe if the billed it as a way to prevent drunk driving, they could find some funding for the endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Well if you are considering moving and in the area... I might consider Minneapolis, Chicago and Pittsburgh instead as your 3 choices.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 PM

267 posts, read 436,259 times
Not even close...Cleveland. Just make sure you have a job first! Outside of Columbus, Ohio's economy is pretty bad.

Milwaukee really? Lol

Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,644,299 times
I prefer Milwaukee by a lot (obviously, since I choose to live here) over Cleveland and Cincy. Columbus I think is the best place to live in OH. Why would I move to a place (Cleveland) that's basically a crappier version of where I live now?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM

10,287 posts, read 12,400,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I prefer Milwaukee by a lot (obviously, since I choose to live here) over Cleveland and Cincy. Columbus I think is the best place to live in OH. Why would I move to a place (Cleveland) that's basically a crappier version of where I live now?
Of the choices given. Milwaukee is easily the best.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,859,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
Not even close...Cleveland. Just make sure you have a job first! Outside of Columbus, Ohio's economy is pretty bad.

Milwaukee really? Lol
Your post sir is very close-minded...you seriously have no idea what you just typed.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM

5,310 posts, read 6,610,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Columbus I think is the best place to live in OH.

Only if you like landlocked, flat, and bland.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:35 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Only if you like landlocked, flat, and bland.
OMG, now you've gone and done it, by golly, by gee! (Sort of like mentioning that the emperor's wearing NO CLOTHES...) In YOUR case, I strongly recommend hiring a personal bodyguard; Cbus-boosters are out there and they do not react kindly to such insolent comments as yours.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,644,299 times
Columbus is too sprawling, but it has the best arts and music scene in Ohio hands down. If that's bland, I don't know what the word is for the other towns. Cleveland at least has a history, Cincy is terribly boring and has contributed very little to the arts. Cleveland lives up to its Detroit comparisons, but I do like the grit aspect (really I do) and understand the "bland" comment. But back to the OP: Cleveland is a more run-down Milwaukee lacking additional amenities. Milwaukee has a stronger local personality. Milwaukee has a better arts and music scene, and it's literally an hour's drive to Chicagoland, so it's in an enormous mega-city metro area. There's so much more to do in the area.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,568,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Cleveland still has a number of 24-hour bus lines.
You are correct. RTA has about 12 all-nighters (24-hour bus routes). Most major arteries sprouting from downtown has an "owl" route, including of course the Healthline BRT up Euclid Av, which is the most frequent overnight route (every half-hour) while others are every hour. There are some crosstown 24-hour routes as well, like the bus down E. 105th Street and, I think, the one down W. 117th. The Airport Red Line route is replaced at night by extending the Lorain Ave route (#22) from the West Park Rapid stop out to Hopkins airport after 1a...

Once upon a time from RTA's founding (1975) until the mid-80s, the Rapid rail ran all night too, but was dropped unfortunately. There's some talk of extending Rapid service until 2a on weekends to accommodate the increased downtown restaurant/club scene, but that's not a go yet.

Cleveland easily wins the OP's walkability/transit access award of the cities listed. Cleveland has the best overall mass transit in the Midwest outside Chicago. And Ohio City, which is getting stronger and stronger, is almost like a section of downtown. A 10-15 min stroll over the Lorain-Carnegie bridge takes you right to the heart of Ohio City's W. 25th district, which is on fire now (the huge new Town Hall restaurant/bar is packing 'em in 7 nights a week, and is cheek-to-jowl on weekend nights; a large Mitchell's Ice Cream shop a few doors down will open soon)... Of course the Red Line rapid and about 8 bus lines (3 of them all-nighters) gets you there quicker/easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or